Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
O.T. Duffy, singing Mercy
Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: May 4, 2008 07:24

Anybody seen the video of Duffy, the Welsh girl, singing Mercy? Wow, very soulful voice, and I think the song is quite blusey. I saw the video on TV and then watched it on youtube. She's got a couple of other good songs too. Though she is great looking, she does not exploit her looks in the videos. That's a refreshing change for a young, female singer, to actually concentrate on the music . . . .

Re: O.T. Duffy, singing Mercy
Posted by: ablett ()
Date: May 4, 2008 12:30

Try the album, its superb....

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: May 4, 2008 13:08

ablett
Try the album, its superb....

Nah winking smiley

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 4, 2008 14:35

I was wondering when someone on here was gonna mention this. I like "Mercy" a lot. Haven't heard any other tracks yet, but I'm intrigued. She might be great.

Date: May 4, 2008 14:36

The last track on the CD is absolutely superb.

Its worth a punt for £10......

Posted by: pike bishop ()
Date: May 4, 2008 14:37

Yeah the album is good,very soulful,Mercy is the fastest song on it.Retro but good.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 4, 2008 14:43

Gr I hate that song and her voice, that bit where she repeats 'you got me begging' kills my ears!

You're not listening to a performance, but music made up of samples, arranged visually on a computer screen. Plastic-retro and soulless!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-04 14:45 by His Majesty.

Date: May 4, 2008 15:27

Try the album. Mercy's probably the weakest track...

Date: May 4, 2008 15:28

Portishead came out with a good quote recently.

Mark Ronson is to Soul Music what Shakin Stevens is to Rock N Roll....

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: May 4, 2008 19:56

tatters
I was wondering when someone on here was gonna mention this. I like "Mercy" a lot. Haven't heard any other tracks yet, but I'm intrigued. She might be great.

You've not been followng this very closely, then.
I've been 'bigging-up' this phenomenal singer, on this board,
since November, of last year.

Posted by: MacPhisto ()
Date: May 4, 2008 20:46

The album is really very recommendable!

The way she plays with her voice on "Syrup and Honey" is heartbreaking in a most beautiful way!

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: May 17, 2008 19:28

I like it, especially first song. It's like 60s soul... How can you not like it? ;-)
Far better than most of todays female vocalists. She's beaten by Norah Jones and Amy Winehouse, it's all.

Date: May 18, 2008 13:36

Amy Winehouse, Adele, Duffy... can anyone see a trend here?

They're all the bloody same, really, they are.

Did anyone see the singer from Texas on Jools Holland? She’s even gone down the same route with the horns, motown-style, retro songs and look.

It’s all going to get very tiresome imo.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: May 18, 2008 16:06

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: May 19, 2008 14:56

You are tempting me. I like Bernard Butler (Suede/Refugees/solo) and Duffy sounds like Ronnie Spector.

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: May 19, 2008 16:51

I listened to it twice in the car a couple of hours ago. Sweet

Date: May 19, 2008 17:02

The GR
You are tempting me. I like Bernard Butler (Suede/Refugees/solo) and Duffy sounds like Ronnie Spector.

I like Suede. Their debut is an absoloute classic. Dog Man Star and Coming Up aren't too shoddy either.

Posted by: textmonkey ()
Date: May 27, 2008 13:01

sorry to reply to something over a week later, but i think the duffy album is wonderful and for those interested in Bernard Butlers involvement - it's great. If you enjoyed the stuff he did with David McAlmont, which was effectively Motown for the 21st century, all lush strings and collossal drum sounds, then this is the natural progression. It's not as OTT, but it's a fine fine album, and, with all due respect to the His Majesty poster up there, unless you've got some class of proof that it's all samples and cut'n'paste recording, i'm gonna call you on that.

Duffy isn't the new Aretha. Nor is she the next Dusty Springfield. But she pisses all over Winehouse and has catchier tunes than Adele. If all she does is have people enjoy her album and then go and listen to Aretha/Dusty, then it's not so bad, is it?

Date: May 27, 2008 13:14

McAlmont & Butler - 'Yes'

possibly the best song to have been written in the 1990's.

Posted by: oldkr ()
Date: May 27, 2008 16:54

she sounds like winehouse

OLDKR

Date: May 27, 2008 17:15

oldkr

OLDKR

no she doesn't.

Date: May 27, 2008 17:23

textmonkey
with all due respect to the His Majesty poster up there, unless you've got some class of proof that it's all samples and cut'n'paste recording, i'm gonna call you on that.

Obviously not ALL of it is samples, but for sure they have simply cut and pasted sections and looped em etc. Some parts are identical and are clearly just loops and what not. Samples can be they're own, it does not have to be from other records/recordings.

When you play, lets say the first verse at the same time as the last verse on a lot of modern songs, certain parts are identical, that's proof that what is heard on each section is one and the same. You do that with something that is an actual performance, ie, not cut and pasted/repeated sections you don't get that, there is variation.

Just going by the single as I have no interest in hearing her album. If you like it, then it doesn't matter a fxxk what I think or say. smiling smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2008-05-27 17:54 by His Majesty.

Date: May 27, 2008 17:42

Adrian-L
oldkr

OLDKR

no she doesn't.

No, I don't think she does either. Actually, and this kind of goes against my earlier posting, I quite like her new one, Warick Avenue. Very easy on the ears. smiling smiley

Date: May 27, 2008 17:49

a completely different, pitch, tone and range to Winehouse.

Date: May 27, 2008 18:41

His Majesty
textmonkey
with all due respect to the His Majesty poster up there, unless you've got some class of proof that it's all samples and cut'n'paste recording, i'm gonna call you on that.

Obviously not ALL of it is samples, but for sure they have simply cut and pasted sections and looped em etc. Some parts are identical and are clearly just loops and what not. Samples can be they're own, it does not have to be from other records/recordings.

When you play, lets say the first verse at the same time as the last verse on a lot of modern songs, certain parts are identical, that's proof that what is heard on each section is one and the same. You do that with something that is an actual performance, ie, not cut and pasted/repeated sections you don't get that, there is variation.

Just going by the single as I have no interest in hearing her album. If you like it, then it doesn't matter a fxxk what I think or say. smiling smiley

sure mate - and heck we can agree to differ. I take your point that the instrumentation might be 'programmed' to an extent, and without sleevenotes to hand, i'm rather short on rebuttal. But, the point is that she's a singer not an instrumentalist and if she can sing and it's being done 'live' in studio without proTools or AutoTune tweaking, then i think we should give her the benefit of the doubt.

I mean - there's nothing wrong with loops either. Have you listened to Bridges to Babylon? Frankly, if every other artist were to go back to the White Stripes 'oh-god-we're-painfully-retro-right-down-to-eating-lard-for-breakfast' music would never progress.

and in a spirit of rapprochment, His Majesty, i'll concede that 'Mercy' has been overplayed to hell and you're not alone in wanting to never hear it again. Having said that, it's not a good enough reason to diss the rest of her output...

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: May 27, 2008 19:49

........she ain't no Amy....but she's got a nice groove.

Date: May 27, 2008 20:01

textmonkey

sure mate - and heck we can agree to differ. I take your point that the instrumentation might be 'programmed' to an extent...

Cool...

Yeah, programming/sequencing has been used for decades and sometimes it works for the benefit of the song, but in this case I think it distracts from the feel giving the single a rather sterile sound with no real dynamics.

cool smiley

Date: May 27, 2008 20:34

His Majesty
textmonkey

sure mate - and heck we can agree to differ. I take your point that the instrumentation might be 'programmed' to an extent...

Cool...

Yeah, programming/sequencing has been used for decades and sometimes it works for the benefit of the song, but in this case I think it distracts from the feel giving the single a rather sterile sound with no real dynamics.

cool smiley

quite possibly. i'm not audiophile and there's others far more expert on this aroudn these here parts, but the way music in *general* has been going the last few years with Mastering levels being that everything is, sorta, turned up to 11, it's common accross the board.

In fairness to Duffy, and it's really the reason i won't let this bone go(!) is that the guy working with her, Bernard Butler, is pretty much of the old school. I'm not saying that the album is free of sterile washes of keyboards where you'd have had a Hammond Organ back in the day, but, for something made today that has to appeal to younger ears as well as the, er, more mature grinning smiley it does okay.

Date: May 27, 2008 20:43

I bet it comes across better live! smileys with beer

Date: May 27, 2008 21:30

i'll find out for you next week

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1279
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home