Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: BEATLES REMASTERS - Out Now !!! (well, sort of)
Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: April 27, 2008 18:06

ROLLING STONE MAGAZINE is reporting that someone (or some group) named PURPLE CHICK has been "quietly remastering" classic discs like REVOLVER and HARD DAY'S NIGHT and releasing the digital files online. How are/is Purple Chick doing this? By carefully digitalizing tracks from pristine vinyl copies. Reported to be noticibly better than the 1987 CD versions with crisper highs, a fuller soundstage, and more realistic reproduction of instrument and voices.

What should REALLY get Beatle's fans salivating is all the extras Purple Chick offers. For Example, SGT. PEPPERS is in both the stereo and mono version with four extra discs worth of studio outtakes. Think that's impressive, how about a 12 disc WHITE ALBUM with 10 extra discs full of alternative takes, studio chatter and jams, and plenty of Demos. ROLLING STONE MAGAZINE suggests google-ing/searching "purple chick and megaupload" for starters - don't know where that will take you personally cause I haven't done it (yet).

Please report back and tell us what you've found (or better yet if you've already been involved in all this - how good is the sound? how great are the outtakes?) Let us know.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-27 18:08 by HelterSkelter.

Re: OT: BEATLES REMASTERS - Out Now !!! (well, sort of)
Posted by: turd ()
Date: April 27, 2008 18:45

I got some of this 'Purple Chick' stuff - freely available from Culpa a few months ago (probably still there). Like you said 12 disc white album. I gave up d'loading in the end, you expect it to be different and you listen hard for the differences - but, in the end, so what - a few more db's of bass etc. Nothing really new.

Date: April 27, 2008 20:55

....but turd, let me get this straight. So all of those extra 10 discs don't have MAJOR different versions and demos (like ANTHOLOGY 3 for example) and all that other stuff we have (or don't have) on Beatle boots? It's just minor tweaking that they're filling up these discs with? That's VERY disappointing to say the least.... I mean, why bother if it's not something completely different or new? I'm sure the official ones will be a knock out (so when's Macca gonna get off his ass and get them out to the public... I smell a Christmas sales market (Sept - Dec) Release (as usual).....

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: April 27, 2008 21:01

I thought the entire Beatles catalog DID get remastered a couple of years ago!!??

Uh - don't mistake that for someone who bought everything - I haven't bought anything except for Anthology 2 and all the other Beatles CDs I have are the original issues...

Date: April 27, 2008 21:24

Nope SS, Just the YELLOW SUBMARINE Soundtrack and the Soundtrack to the LOVE Las Vegas thing - the rest are the one's initially put out in 1987.... never touched since then.... been a long, LONG time....

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: April 27, 2008 22:49

I heard that they have all been remastered and were due to come out last June 1 to mark the 40th anniversary of Sgt Pepper. Apparently they were pulled at the last minute to give greater publicity clout to the downloads. The next likely launch is 2012 - 50 years since Please Please Me which will give a greater financial return to EMI.
All the albums will then all be released a la 80s on the 50th anniversary of their original release. With this will come a huge wave of marketing.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: April 27, 2008 22:50

Wasn't The Beatles remastered and re-released roughly two years ago?

Date: April 27, 2008 22:56

Skip Stone, naw man, you're think of the whole LOVE/CIRQUE DU SOLEIL show in LAS VEGAS which did open about 2 years ago... The LOVE CD is remixed and sounds like it all will sound when they re -release the original albums.....

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 28, 2008 03:53

Sounds interesting. I did recently download a torrent called Alternate Revolver, could be from the purple chick. Had four different versions of Paperback Writer, interesting and some tracks from Anthology and a lot of studio alternate takes of varying quality. All in all very good boot.

Please someone go into detail of what is on the White Album one with 10 discs.

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: June 4, 2008 17:57

Regarding the official albums that Purple Chick has remastered, are they just straight forward vinyl transfers or have they been eq'd and pimped in any way?

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: June 4, 2008 18:00

Just like Mick Boys mixes. To my ear, his sound like Japanese vinyl, with high end added.

JR

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: June 4, 2008 20:33

I have the purple chick versions of 63-66 albums. Its really interesting to have all the tracks in stereo and mono with SUPERB track info in the art. One thing-these are made by a fan for fans-never to be sold so theres really no greedy motive behind it! Also I just got the STAR CLUB set which gives you all the available tracks and credits them to the proper night and even includes the King Curtiss tracks.

Date: June 4, 2008 20:37

stone-relics
Just like Mick Boys mixes.

Yep.

Why is this even news? Rolling Stone may as well report about Mickboy's remasters (which are excellent, BTW). Must be a slow week.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1599
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home