Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Jack Bruce & Eric Burdon Touring With A "Hippiefest"?
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: April 27, 2008 02:54

Could be a train wreck. Could be fun.

[www.hippiefest.net]

Re: OT: Jack Bruce & Eric Burdon Touring With A "Hippiefest"?
Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: April 27, 2008 06:03

Eric Burdon always puts on a good show. Hopefully he will play for at least an hour. With several other acts he may be limited to 20 minutes.

Date: April 27, 2008 14:42

I think, technically, Bruce is the headliner, so if anyone gets to play a full hour it will be him, which should put the lie to the "Cream-can't-tour-'cause-Jack-is-too-sick" story. The big question is, Is Jack really well enough to get though a tour like this? Or will he have to bail out in the middle?

I last saw Eric 25 years ago on the Animals (all five original members) reunion tour. He was GREAT then, but I have tried to see him a couple times since and he was a no-show (something he has a long history of) both times. I'm envisioning this as a possible fiasco in which BOTH headliners are no-shows. Then again, it might be incredible. Jack was fantastic when I saw him with Ringo in 1999 and 2000. And the ticket prices ($32.50 for pavillion; $7.00 for lawn, at my local amphitheatre) are certainly right.

As for some of the other acts, 20 minutes may be more than I can stand!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 28, 2008 19:03

i think its ginger baker that will not do a full blown CREAM tour not jack bruce.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: April 28, 2008 19:21

was just listening to a fine recording of Burdon's one-off reunion with War (at least the band that tours as War these days) last week at the RAH - KILLER performance. Burdon is still "da man."

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: April 28, 2008 22:33

T&A
was just listening to a fine recording of Burdon's one-off reunion with War (at least the band that tours as War these days) last week at the RAH - KILLER performance. Burdon is still "da man."

Hi T&A - can I ask where you came upon this fine recording? I was at that gig and would love to hear it back again.

Date: April 28, 2008 22:49

it's circulating on dimeadozen.org - bit torrent site.....

Re: OT: Jack Bruce & Eric Burdon Touring With A "Hippiefest"
Date: August 5, 2008 05:03

Anyone seen this show? I caught them in Detroit a couple days ago. The tour ends Aug. 10, but if you're a fan of either Jack or Eric and you have the opportunity to go, I think you might enjoy it.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: August 5, 2008 13:00

I always feel a bit down when I read of these guys. I mean technicallly Bruce is as good a musician as Clapton and Burdon had about the best and purest voices around, at the time.
Last time I saw him (Burdon) was on the Jools Holland show -he seemed quite subdued, not at all like the old Eric.
Temperamment, unwilling to compromise etc. have been factors...but a feeling of "under- achieved" also

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: August 5, 2008 13:06

Jack Bruce have just realeased a little bit dull but brilliant anyway album called "Seven Moons" with Robin Trower. I believe in him winking smiley

Date: August 5, 2008 17:15

jlowe
I always feel a bit down when I read of these guys. I mean technicallly Bruce is as good a musician as Clapton and Burdon had about the best and purest voices around, at the time.
Last time I saw him (Burdon) was on the Jools Holland show -he seemed quite subdued, not at all like the old Eric.
Temperamment, unwilling to compromise etc. have been factors...but a feeling of "under- achieved" also

Considering he's 67 years old, I thought Eric sounded great on this tour. My only complaint is that, although he was the headliner and went on last, I think he only performed SEVEN songs .... and that's including the two encores! I guess he can't do as much as he used to, but what he IS still able to do, he does amazingly well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-05 17:18 by tatters.

Date: August 5, 2008 17:23

Amused
Jack Bruce have just realeased a little bit dull but brilliant anyway album called "Seven Moons" with Robin Trower. I believe in him winking smiley

Like Eric, I think he only did six or seven songs at Hippiefest, but he totally blew us all away for the short amount of time he was onstage. I'm sure he enjoyed not having anyone there telling him to turn it down. His guitarist (Godfrey Townsend) used to play in John Entwistle's band. I'm sure HE didn't mind the noise. He's used to working with loud bass players!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-05 17:25 by tatters.

Posted by: The Mez ()
Date: August 5, 2008 18:37

Does Hilton Valentine still play with Eric Burdon? Original Animal guitarist Just recently found out he is my next door neighbor. We started out badly though. What a pity MEZ

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-08-05 19:25 by The Mez.

Date: August 5, 2008 21:48

The Mez
Does Hilton Valentine still play with Eric Burdon? Original Animal guitarist Just recently found out he is my next door neighbor. We started out badly though. What a pity MEZ

off and on starting a year or so ago. hilton's finally got his chops back together after several decades in the tank.

hilton plays with him when logistics permit. eric's got a few folks working in and out of his band right now.

Date: August 5, 2008 21:57

Thanks T & A appreciate the response! MEZ

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: August 5, 2008 22:14

The Mez

That's what you get for putting that "Please don't feed the Animals" sign in his yard.

Date: August 5, 2008 22:43

Now thats funny ohnonotyouagain. Got to remember that one!! Mez

Date: August 6, 2008 16:30

Couldn't make out the introductions Saturday night, but I'm pretty sure it WAS Hilton to whom everyone bowed down and did the "we're not worthy" thing we he played the intro to House Of The Rising Sun. He's not the lead guitarist in the band, though. Just a guy along for the ride and happy to have a summer job.

Date: August 6, 2008 17:38

Thanks tatters for the update MEZ

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: August 6, 2008 18:37

Lurv to see ya, T & A & grrrreat to hear'bout ol' Eric.

Posted by: Tseverin ()
Date: August 6, 2008 19:08

Who the hell is Johnathan Edwards?

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: August 6, 2008 20:07

Wasn't he the guy that sang "Sunshine" back in the early 70's?

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: August 6, 2008 20:50

yes, that's him

Date: August 7, 2008 17:05

Would have preferred seeing Jonathan Edwards (or the Turtles, who were also absent) to the 300 lbs, 61-year-old, Melanie, who looked like a homeless woman and sounded like a mental patient during her (mercifully brief but not brief enough) performance.

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: August 7, 2008 17:25

....you know Melanie has a brand new pair of roller skates, tatters, I'm assuming you have her brand new key......

Date: August 8, 2008 15:31

I actually came across what looked to be a fairly comprehensive biography of Jack in Borders bookshop yesterday.
Not authorised. The chronology looked a bit strange, but it seemed at a glance to be quite detailed.

Date: August 8, 2008 16:02

The last thread should have included reference to the author- Steve Myatt

Date: August 8, 2008 17:09

Lukester
....you know Melanie has a brand new pair of roller skates, tatters, I'm assuming you have her brand new key......

"I don't like the song. I don't like her voice. I don't like what she's doing with her hands. I don't like anything about this. I hope you don't think this is any good"

--Tatters's mom, watching Melanie on television (1978)

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: August 8, 2008 18:09

Stop pickin ' on Melanie. Thats just male chauvinism.

Posted by: souldoggie ()
Date: August 8, 2008 23:31

I saw the Hippiefest in Kettering, Ohio a couple of weeks ago. I loved the Turtles, it takes a lot of cloth to make a dress for Melanie, Jack Bruce was cool, and Burdon was fantastic. They did Paint It Black and encored with my favorite, Sky Pilot....and Hilton Valentine was up front stage right. Fun night.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1126
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home