Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Stones slip down Rich List
Posted by: Beast ()
Date: April 27, 2008 02:27

Mick: No. 334 (290 in 2007) - £215 million (third music millionaire after Sir Paul at 102 with £725 million and Sir Elton at 319 with £225 million) - i.e., the Sirs have it.

Keith: No. 375 (327 in 2007) - £190 million (equal with Tom Jones - how did that happen?!)

Charlie: No. 777 (680 in 2007) - £90 million

Ronnie: No. 896 (817 in 2007) - £75 million

[business.timesonline.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-27 02:39 by Beast.

Re: Stones slip down Rich List
Posted by: Matti ()
Date: April 27, 2008 02:58

Time for a new tour?

"I´m going on tour becouse I´m skint"
-Ronnie Wood before the Steel wheels tour

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 27, 2008 03:32

Dreadful news. They'll probably retire due to the shame.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: April 27, 2008 03:43

Yeah your right Gazza, I would shame me walking on the street if I lost 44 places.

I think I would buy a Island and never show my face again................except fo those 10 maybe 20 girls I invite

Posted by: DKsoulman ()
Date: April 27, 2008 04:42

Rod Stewart no. 659 105 m.£

Date: April 27, 2008 13:09

Now let's remember this about Mick and Keith. They still own their publishing. Macca sold most of his, thus worth quite a bit more. That's still not a bad living.

Posted by: scaffer ()
Date: April 27, 2008 16:56

Where's David Bowie on the list? I recall that back in the 1990's his worth was estimated at more than $900M (US). This figure was published in some major media at the time.

Posted by: CharliMoon ()
Date: April 27, 2008 19:33

21stcenturystones
That's still not a bad living.

Pfew, to the contrary!

Hmm...reminds me of all Ronnie wrote in his book. *lol* ......

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: April 27, 2008 21:04

Sorry I couldn't contribute since the @#$%& won't come to New Orleans anymore.

Posted by: phd ()
Date: April 27, 2008 21:35

Those list are non sense and only to please some readers. They capture what is supposedly visible. How else can they do ? Meaningless. Take your own example. How can they assume your " wealth". They just tumble the dice.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 28, 2008 00:05

21stcenturystones
Now let's remember this about Mick and Keith. They still own their publishing. Macca sold most of his, thus worth quite a bit more. That's still not a bad living.
Actually Mick and Keith do not own their music publishing- only their post 1972 material. The real golden nuggets are owned by Mr Allen Klein. They didn't even "sell" them as far as I am aware. Macca and the Beatles lost theirs in 1969 in an epic battle with Lew Grade -quote "those songs in Northern will last forever". What they got was a fraction of their values today. Mick and Keith's copyrights just slipped through the net thanks to ALO and Uncle Andrew. No wonder Mick has never forgiven either of them. Macca has got over his loss by buying a huge catalogue of standards - presumably this line of business and income generation has no appeal to Mick.
Getting back to the Rich List, the figures are at best a rough guide only -they got Macca's valuations way wrong and his wealth is much more transparent than the Stones. By the way, no sign of Prince Rupert in the list and Old Bill Wyman is out of it completely.
Finally, I wonder what Klein and Abcko are worth??

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: April 28, 2008 00:17

>> thanks to ALO and Uncle Andrew. No wonder Mick has never forgiven either of them <<

sorry but by "ALO and Uncle Andrew" do you mean ALO and Allen Klein?
and the rights they lost didn't "slip through the net". they were brutally ripped off.
i believe the polite term for it is "aggressive takeover".

Date: April 28, 2008 00:34

with sssoul
>> thanks to ALO and Uncle Andrew. No wonder Mick has never forgiven either of them <<

sorry but by "ALO and Uncle Andrew" do you mean ALO and Allen Klein?
and the rights they lost didn't "slip through the net". they were brutally ripped off.
i believe the polite term for it is "aggressive takeover".
Yes, of course its Allen Klein...who else?!
What isn't clear to me with their music publishing, is who originally owned the rights back in 1964. According to Oldham's books when they moved from the Eric Easton's deal with Southern, they set up 2 companies Mirage and Nanker Phelge to handle publishing royalties, these were then administered by David PLATZ' Essex Music Group. So were they originally owned by Oldham and the group - or just Oldham. When he sold out his "share" of the group in 1967 to Klein then obviuosly the publishing rights were included.
For Klein this made reasonable business sense. But for Oldham? It makes him the real villain of the piece - no hint of any regret though in his autobiographies. Perhaps Scientology (he is a follower I believe) doesn't include regret or apology in its ethos

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: April 28, 2008 00:42

>> Yes, of course its Allen Klein...who else?! <<

okay, glad we got that straight (so why call Allen Klein "Uncle Andrew"? it's a mystery)
and a minor-but-true point: it was in 1965, not 1967, that ALO sold his share to Klein,
and became the Stones' producer only, rather than producer/manager.

the way i understand it ALO did not own (or sell) the entire publishing rights; he sold Klein his share in them.
it was Klein who created a new US-based "Nanker Phelge Inc" business entity
and got the Stones to sign their rights over to it, which they did believing it was their own publishing entity.
they found out the hard way that it wasn't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-28 00:44 by with sssoul.

Date: April 28, 2008 14:46

Thanks sssoul for the clarification.
I had thought it was 1967 as that was the date when ALO left the Stones (Satanic Majesties time) to work full-time on Immediate Records. I thought it was then that Klein paid ALO (?£1 MILLION)for his "share".
Was this to do with the recording rights/masters as distinct from music publishing. Again am I right in thinking the Stones thought they had a part ownership in the recording rights when in actual fact this was never the case?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2159
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home