Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
keith solo albums
Posted by: stones1984 ()
Date: April 24, 2008 17:04

im having an internet shopping afternoon and i fancy buying a couple of keiths solo albumns but ive got no idea which to go for, any recomendations how to spend my money wld be appreciated

ta

Re: keith solo albums
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 24, 2008 17:06

Start with TALK IS CHEAP and MAIN OFFENDER - the only legal studio albums.

- Doxa

Posted by: Amused ()
Date: April 24, 2008 17:07

they are not as good as Rolling Stones' ones, so make sure you have heard at least all their late '60 and all '70 stuff, which is considered the best winking smiley

Keith released only 2, so if you want to buy "a couple", buy them all tongue sticking out smiley [en.wikipedia.org] and [en.wikipedia.org]

very nice records. much better than Micks pop. winking smiley

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: April 24, 2008 17:09

There's only three so not much choice. The 1st one Talk Is Cheap is universally regarded as his best and contains the stronger and more melodic songs. Main Offender, the second album, is more rhythmic and lacks a little of the polish of the debut. The live album is fun but I'd start with Talk Is Cheap. It was made at the time of his big falling out with Jagger and there's some pointed lyrics at Mick, especially on You Don't Move Me.

Posted by: with sssoul ()

there are only three, so get 'em all. if you only want two to start, start with the two studio albums
(Talk Is Cheap and Main Offender). (Wingless Angels is one he produced and is featured on,
and it's a very cool album as well, but it's not what you'd normally call a Keith solo album.)

Posted by: skipstone ()

Get all 3. I love 'em. More so than Jagger's solo albums.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: April 24, 2008 17:12

If you're canny you can hunt down some brilliant bootlegs featuring his lost roughs and demos from the late 70s and 80s. There's also a CD of Voodoo Lounge outtakes featuring Keith obviously pretty out of it sitting playing some of his fave old tunes like Cocaine, I Get A Kick Out Of You, Please Please Me etc.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: April 24, 2008 17:17

actually let me amend that: get the two studio albums and the Hollywood Palladium dvd.
you'll pursue the Hollywood Palladium CD quite naturally from there.
oh and don't forget the long long list of guest tracks he's done.

Date: April 24, 2008 17:22

What sssoul said!

Posted by: stones1984 ()
Date: April 24, 2008 18:08

right then two studio albums ordered, now going on the hunt for some decent bootlegs :0)

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: April 24, 2008 18:32

Be warned !
You'll listen to these and then scream
"...why the f**k are there only two ? !!!"

Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: April 25, 2008 02:39

If you start with one, make it his first, Talk is Cheap. Unlike almost all other Stone solo projects, this one never gets old imho. It's fantastic, and I would would rank it above the Stones albums between Dirty work and Voodoo Lounge.

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: April 25, 2008 03:58

TALK IS CHEAP.period.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: April 25, 2008 04:19

Talk is Cheap is a really great album. Very well written. Both HOW I WISH and LOCKED AWAY would be Stones classics. I do love Main Offender, but compared to TIC, it sounds more like demos. A hard rocking band, but lyrically pretty lame compared to the first album. HATE IT WHEN YOU LEAVE from Main Offender is a classic also.

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: April 25, 2008 04:24

The live album sounds ten times better on vinyl..if you guys can even relate......I got one, number 101 of 3000 made...

WEEHOO

JR

Posted by: cc ()
Date: April 25, 2008 04:49

Main Offender might have a bit more filler--not that Talk is Cheap doesn't have any--but I've always thought it had a more well developed mood and just as many good songs. I prefer it to the debut.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: April 25, 2008 05:27

Spud
"...why the f**k are there only two ? !!!"

Because no one bought the second one.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 25, 2008 05:35

Main Offender is one loooooooong groove
Play it LOUD it more and likely will alter ya heart-beat......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: April 25, 2008 05:58

All those... but I love the Longview Farms session too...

[www.studiowner.com]

Date: April 25, 2008 21:32

As to why there are only two? Because Keith prefers to play with the Stones and only does solo's when forced to fill his time.

Posted by: pike bishop ()
Date: April 26, 2008 14:06

Keiths solo albums knock the shite outta Micks any day of the week

Date: April 26, 2008 21:00

I second that

Posted by: cc ()
Date: April 26, 2008 21:34

way to go out on a limb there, guys.

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: April 27, 2008 03:37

<<Wingless Angels is one he produced and is featured on,
and it's a very cool album as well, but it's not what you'd normally call a Keith solo album>>

Wingless Angels is highly recommendable imo...Morning Train, Rasta Army and Bright Soul are such great songs.

Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: April 27, 2008 11:24

Have to agree with all the TIC comments , played it all the time when it came out, copied it on to a cassette for the car and never tired of listening to it on the journey to and from work all those years ago, thing is I can't believe how expensive Cd's were in the late 80's and early 90's my copy of TIC still has its price sticker £12.99.
Main Offender I remember got very good revues and is of course very good indeed, much loved also is the Hollywood live set, all these 3 albums have been played a lot ,as to Mick's solo stuff that has only been played maybe a couple of times each tops, just not as enjoyable as Keiths output , I suppose it's because of his voice being so associated with Stones output that it somehow just doesn't sound right on anything but Stones songs, if this makes sense can't explain it any clearer sorry .
Ronnie's stuff is much more of an enigma however , most of it is a joy but some a letdown, ''Got my own album to do '' is a must for all Stones fans ,Now Look is almost as good ,not to keen on 1234 or Gimme Some Neck his last good solo one was Slide on This , its live contemporary Slide on Live is his best live as well the others are for diehards only.
Lastly Ronnie released an album with Bo Diddley . another gem Live at the Ritz.
My apologies if I meandered off strict topic but I though what the hell get the info out there

Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: April 27, 2008 19:01

Buy Talk is Cheap first.

Posted by: CharliMoon ()
Date: April 27, 2008 19:47

I'm sure I'm in the minority with my opinion here, but I really have to admit I prefer Main Offender to Talk Is Cheap.
I bought Talk Is Cheap first and I enjoyed listening to it a lot and still do today, but when I bought Main Offender some months later this was a CD I couldn't get out of my CD player! I listened to it over and over again. Just love it love it love it!
TIC is a fanatstic record and I like it very much and I, too, agree that you should get this one first, but as you said you want to get the one and only couple *gg* it doesn't matter anyway.
my favs from TIC are Make No Mistake About it and Locked Away. Both are wonderful tunes you can listen to over and over again, as is the entire album, in fact.
However, Main Offender's got so many damn good tunes on it! The whole record is great. My all-time favourite Keith solo song is on Main Offender and it's called Hate it When You Leave. I'm melting away every time I listen to it. Keith's voice on this one is just...amazing! He's so great in doing the love songs, much better than Mick, I think. It's heart-breaking. Also on MO there's this very cool Reggae, Words Of Wonder which I find is so good. And then, of course, Eileen. A keith solo classic, I'd say. Demon is great as well.
I agree, TIC might have sharper lyrics, espacially aimed at Mick, and therefore maybe is a bit more intimate, but MO for me is #1. Not much, though. TIC comes right behind with no spaces to fill the gap.

But, what am I doing talking and talking? Get 'em all! It's only 3 pieces anyway, unfortunately, and one DVD, so what are you waiting for? >grinning smiley<

Oh, and speaking of Mick: His solo stuff is absolute crap! It's bullshit. Sorry, Mick, but we gotta face the truth, na? Love ya, anyweay. cool smiley

Date: April 27, 2008 20:01

I love both albums. Each one has a track or two I don't play a lot but both albums are excellent I think. I love how Wicked As It Seems is the beginning of the Love Is Strong/Lowdown/Dangerous Beauty key/lick/vein....which really started with One Hit (To The Body).

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: April 30, 2008 00:36

It's too bad Keith can't play Eileen on stage with the Stones.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: April 30, 2008 03:10

I like them both. TIC is a better record, better songs. MO has something special, I don't know what but it cooks better than TIC.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1417
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home