Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Whose is the funeral in Paint It Black?
Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: April 23, 2008 16:15

There's a real feeling of shock and grief in the words of this song - yet I can't think of anyone among the Stones' friends or family who could possibly be a candidate for the person (seems to be a girl) who has so unexpectedly died. Does anyone know of any theories?

Re: Whose is the funeral in Paint It Black?
Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: April 23, 2008 16:32

A number of Jagger-Richards lyrics suggest a death of a teenage girlfriend from their pre-fame days. While this is possible, its likely more of a subtextual metaphor for loss of innocence which also turns up in countless songs from "Sitting on a Fence" to "100 Year Ago." Another possibility is it could be reflective of Keith's parents divorce when he was quite young. I think it likely its below the surface rather than an actual memory. Mind you, Bill Wyman claimed it came out of goofing on Eric Easton and his days of playing organ in a revival house showing silent movies, but that hardly accounts for the numerous other songs with similar themes.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: April 23, 2008 16:51

I think what Bill Wyman says is that the Eric Easton parody is responsible for the rhythm and tempo of "Paint It Black" as it eventually came to be recorded - but the song itself existed before that as something rather more serious.

"Death songs" used to be quite a feature of teenage music in the 50s and 60s, so it's quite possible that it's all just somebody's imagination working overtime, but if so, then somebody has a very good imagination!

Posted by: iamthedj ()
Date: April 23, 2008 18:04

Is a funeral mentioned in this song? I've never heard it. To me, it's about a mood. A feeling of absolute apathy. Not wanting to see anyone/anything. We've all been there, surely?

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: April 23, 2008 18:51

Paul McCartney's

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: April 23, 2008 20:50

I was just wondering about the meaning of this song. Ive never heard this interpriation of it, but I can see how it would work that way. Ive talked to people who think that it is a break up song. Its always made me think of the Vietnam War. that happened before I was born, but I first became famliar with this song when it was used as the theme song on an HBO series about soldiers in Vietnam some time back in the late 80's- I cant remember the name of the show. To me the lyrics make me think of someone who's coming home after being in the war. What he saw and experienced there made him so disturbed that when he got back home, he couldn't return to the life he had or to the relationships he had.

thats the thing about stones lyrics, a lot of times theyre non specific, so it can be about a lot of tihngs. but the emotion is very specific.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-23 20:53 by ryanpow.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: April 23, 2008 21:17

Mick's stated that it's about a death/funeral (i have no theory about whose).
but as always, resonating on many levels of interpretation is what makes great lyrics great.
(and yeah, Bill's anecdote about imitating Easton didn't have to do with the lyrics;
it was about the tempo.)

Posted by: sluissie ()
Date: April 23, 2008 23:37

ryanpow
I was just wondering about the meaning of this song. Ive never heard this interpriation of it, but I can see how it would work that way. Ive talked to people who think that it is a break up song. Its always made me think of the Vietnam War. that happened before I was born, but I first became famliar with this song when it was used as the theme song on an HBO series about soldiers in Vietnam some time back in the late 80's- I cant remember the name of the show. To me the lyrics make me think of someone who's coming home after being in the war. What he saw and experienced there made him so disturbed that when he got back home, he couldn't return to the life he had or to the relationships he had.

thats the thing about stones lyrics, a lot of times theyre non specific, so it can be about a lot of tihngs. but the emotion is very specific.

Tour Of Duty... Great soundtrack-cd's ;-) (But no PIB, no surprise either, is it?)

Jelle

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: April 24, 2008 03:48

yeah, tour of duty yeah that was it, thanks!

I remember there was another series around the same time about a nursing unit in that war. It was called "China Beach" and the theme for that show was "Reflections" by the Supremes. To me that song has a very similar mood and feel to paint it black, except its toned down and its more obviosley about a break up. Thats a very under rated song. I think its right up there with PIB as a really deep song.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-24 03:48 by ryanpow.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1621
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home