Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Shine a light best live album since Get yer ya yas out!
Posted by: Niklas ()
Date: April 21, 2008 00:44

I think Shine a light is the best live album since Get yer ya yas out, maybe with the exception of Love you live.

The sound is outstanding, the setlist, especially on cd 1, is great, and it has no stupid mixes like Rocks off on Live licks, whitch by the way also is a good live album.... :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-21 09:21 by bv.

Re: spinning smiley sticking its tongue outShine a light best live album since Get yer ya yas out!
Posted by: Amused ()
Date: April 21, 2008 01:00

Yeah I agree 100%. But I also like moments of No Security, like very strong You Got Me Rocking or Waiting On A Friend winking smiley

Re: spinning smiley sticking its tongue outShine a light best live album since Get yer ya yas out!
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 21, 2008 04:07

Yeah, I love the rawness (as opposed to the recent 'slickness' of the live CD's).

Oh yeah, how about some studio activity guys?

Posted by: lodge ()
Date: April 21, 2008 07:50

As the titles of the album shines a light on you.
I just love both: the movie and the cds

Re: Shine a light best live album since Get yer ya yas out!
Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: April 21, 2008 18:55

Totally agree, Niklas!

My personal valuation...

Get Yer Ya- Yas Out 10/10
(Perfect!)

Love You Live 5,5/10
(So frivolous...Bad Mick's singing)

Still Life 7,5/10
(No more than this, despite i'm dying for the versions of Under My Thumb, LSTNT and Time Is On My Side. Yes, the guitars sound a little thin but the album is very energetic. Horrible Satisfaction)

Flashpoint 6,5/10
(Too much 80s... Good play, but so thin sound. Just listen to JJF...)

Stripped 8/10
A lot of great and a few weak performances)

No Security 8/10
(Underrated album, IMO. Solid performances)

Live Licks 8/10
(Good enough versions, with the exception of the Gimme Shelter)

Shine A Light 8.5/10 and maybe 9/10 !!
(Excellent! Rocking, enegetic, raw. To me the whole "Disc 1" is ...highlight. The best JJF since "Ya- Yas". The best PIB since "Atlantic City 1989". A few weak moments on "Disc 2". )

Posted by: olorin ()
Date: April 21, 2008 19:33

Let's go for one more 'I give marks to Stones live albums' !

Got Live : 6,5/10
Ya-Ya's : 10/10
Love You Live : 7/10
Still life : 4/10 (never liked the '81 tour)
Flashpoint : 5/10 (same for '89 '90 tour)
Stripped : 8,5/10
No Security : 6,5/10
Live licks : 8,5/10 (but in another way than Stripped)
Shine a light : should be 9/10 but i haven't get it yet.

Sorry for my english ; I'm a french little boy (but I like it)

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: April 21, 2008 20:01

Am I the only one -- I never, ever feel the urge to play Still Life, Flash Point, or Live Licks (not to mention Got Live if you Want It).

Stripped is the most interesting of the others. Ya-Ya's of course rules.

Posted by: stickydion ()
Date: April 23, 2008 10:42

"Stripped is the most interesting of the others."

The word "others" includes SAL or not, drbryant?

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: April 25, 2008 00:37

I've only gotten through the first few tracks, but this is indeed an outstanding-sounding CD. As a bassist, I gotta rave about Darryl's performance: he and Charlie had now played together for 12 years, and they provide an excellent underpinning. I went ahead and inserted the last four tracks into the main set for a playlist that works well, if you get past Keith saying "gold rings on ya" twice (after "Connection" AND after "Little T&A").

I DID like the mix, which placed the backup singers in the left channel and the horns on the right, thus approximating the actual stage setup. Neither intrudes unneccessarily upon the core band, which is as it should be. This is definitely no "Vegas act".

I also loved the bit of humor in the very beginning, with Michael Cohl's introduction and then Scorsese asking "Setlist?" Papers rattle, and then, "First song..." as if it was all happening on the fly.

Posted by: dangerous beauty ()
Date: April 25, 2008 01:43

I just put all the live albums (except GOT LIVE IF YOU WANT IT) in my ipod and hit shuffle, makes for one hell of a setlist! adding a few gems from various boots and selected audio tracks from the DVD's (example: Learning the game from the Auston DVD or Who do you Love from the Voodoo Lounge tour etc) makes it even better!

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: April 25, 2008 04:21

You should be repremanded for even mentioning these two arhival masterpieces in one sentence. NOTHING is as good as Ya Yas. @#$%& NOTHING. IF YOU DONT BELIEVE IT, just put in on. The Stones today are better than everything else out there, but can hold a candle to what the once were...it aint no hangin matter!

JR

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: April 25, 2008 04:33

Jeez Stone Relics. How long can you live in 1970? Appreciate the modern stuff for what it is- better than everything else out there as you put it. Nobody said it was as good as Ya Yas. Put the bell bottoms and rock candy away and get into 2008 my friend.

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: April 25, 2008 05:49

Let's leave stones-relic be. He is what he is, a relic. History continues, and the rest of us can move forward.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2041
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home