Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: The Sweet
Posted by: jamesjagger ()
Date: June 3, 2008 17:00

The Sweet as a sort of boy group came out of the Chinn and chapman hit machine, like Suzie Quatro and I believe Smokie also and other bubble gum bands from the seventies.
You can't compare them with Mott the Hoople or David Bowie that was a different level.

Posted by: DKsoulman ()
Date: June 7, 2008 00:07

Yes, they startet as a pop boy band, then they turn into a rock boy band. Then they left their manager, had a huge hit with Fox On The Run, a smaller with Action. Then they begin to fade (time and taste change) But before they dissapered they made this different, but great album Level Headed in 1978. With a top 10 his USA, UK and Germany Love Is Like Oxygen - THAT was a different level!

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: June 7, 2008 09:28

i am i big fan of sweet but wouldn't go see any lineup that's out there now

Posted by: DKsoulman ()
Date: June 7, 2008 18:55

ghostryder13
i am i big fan of sweet but wouldn't go see any lineup that's out there now

Neither would I. I still from time to time listen to Level Heaeded. Not to remember my youth. But because I still love this album.

I saw them once here in Denmark. Early 1978 when they was on tour with this album. For the first time they have bought a guitar player and a keyboard with on this tour. To reproduce the music from Level Head. It was my first concert I was close to 15 years. I remember it as a great concert. But I was also huge fan at the time. 30 years ago confused smiley

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: June 13, 2008 10:23

Just got back from seeing them (Steve Priest) at the Whiskey. I was impressed!. Steve could not have picked a better Lead Singer. For $20, very well worth it!

Date: June 14, 2008 19:40

BluzDude
Just got back from seeing them (Steve Priest) at the Whiskey. I was impressed!. Steve could not have picked a better Lead Singer. For $20, very well worth it!

Damn BluzDude. I had a ticket but got out of work late so I didn't go. Urgh!!! Had I known a fellow IORR'er was going I'd left early.

Scotty,
Irvine

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: June 15, 2008 00:28

[email protected]
BluzDude

Damn BluzDude. I had a ticket but got out of work late so I didn't go. Urgh!!! Had I known a fellow IORR'er was going I'd left early.

Scotty,
Irvine

If the mini-tour goes well, there should be quite a few opportunities to see them. I know Steve was worried about being able to stand for 90 minutes, but he appeared to have no problem at all, and they all looked like they were having fun on stage.

Posted by: rollingrichard ()
Date: June 15, 2008 10:51

Harlix, you're right. I was addicted to the Sweet, but the Stones saved my soul too in 1974.

I heard the singer Brian Connolly was dramatically addicted to drinking, that he could not walk anymore, and had to use a wheelchair in his final days.

Is it true he drunk himself to death ?

You wouldn't say so when you see his baby-face.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: June 15, 2008 11:44

Stumbled over this, here is a alcohol-related death mentioned in 1994 [www.derbydeadpool.co.uk]
On his grave [www.findagrave.com]

All young musicians where I grew up wanted to look like Brian.
Rest in peace!

(BTW anybody still has that fold-out poster with Mich the drummer stark naked?)

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: June 15, 2008 11:56

Hey daze Sweet...

Date: June 16, 2008 02:28

BluzDude
[email protected]
BluzDude

Scotty,
Irvine

If the mini-tour goes well, there should be quite a few opportunities to see them. I know Steve was worried about being able to stand for 90 minutes, but he appeared to have no problem at all, and they all looked like they were having fun on stage.

You know how traffic is here. Had a ticket to Nick Lowe at Sam's but missed that too. At 8:15 I was only to downtown LA on the freeway and I been on the road for 2 1/2 hours. I finally turned around and it took another hour to get home. Heck, in 3 1/2 hours I could have been to Stateline! Grrrr! (For those of you not from SoCal, that's the Nevada/California border.) Luckily I saw him at the El Ray.

Scotty

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1693
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home