Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: The Sweet
Date: April 19, 2008 21:41

Just got tix to The Sweet at the Whiskey A GO GO in Hollywood. It appears there are two versions of the band touring. One fronted by Andy Scott. The other fronted by Steve Priest. The Steve Priest version is the one touring North America. Any info about these shows would be greatly appreciated. I figure it's either gonna be great fun or a total train wreck. Any SoCal IORR's going to this show? I'm hoping SoCals adopted son, Steve Jones, will show up since he's an avid glam fan.

Scotty

Hey Hey My My. Rock and Rol Will Never Die.

Re: OT: The Sweet
Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: April 20, 2008 00:15

I knew this was coming. Steve lives across the street from a person I work with. About 3 or 4 months ago he said he was going to play some club shows, but only use the name Sweet, which he claims he owns but has no objection to Andy's continuing use of it, if the music sounded good enough to be called Sweet. The gigs should be interesting.

Posted by: DKsoulman ()
Date: April 20, 2008 01:06

That's funny. I don't follow Sweet, but I thought Steve totally have stop all kind regarding Sweet. But is there a "demand" for Sweet in USA? They only "nearly" made it in USA.

But I have to say, the last album they made all 4 together, Level Headed from 1978, was really great. I still play it alot. It deserves to be lot more notice as it was/is.

But abit surprised to read about Sweet here!

Date: April 20, 2008 01:33

DKsoulman
That's funny. I don't follow Sweet, but I thought Steve totally have stop all kind regarding Sweet. But is there a "demand" for Sweet in USA? They only "nearly" made it in USA.

But I have to say, the last album they made all 4 together, Level Headed from 1978, was really great. I still play it alot. It deserves to be lot more notice as it was/is.

But abit surprised to read about Sweet here!

You are pretty much correct, for a number of years he was pretty much disconnected. This is all recent

Posted by: keef_nerd ()
Date: April 20, 2008 02:05

Are they playing the east coast?

Date: April 20, 2008 02:27

[www.thesweet.com]

as of now

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: April 20, 2008 02:57

Hope they tour this area , always thought they were entertaining .

Date: April 20, 2008 14:36

Well, it is not "they" The singer and the drummer are dead, the guitar player play in Europe.

Posted by: bumbum ()
Date: April 20, 2008 21:06

Fanny Adams is a great record - lots of power

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: April 20, 2008 22:33

Never heard of them, did they release a must-know album?

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: April 20, 2008 22:39

Yes, Desolation Boulevard. Bubble gum glam for the 60s-born-kids.
Purdy cool in our minds when drummer Mick Tucker exposed'imself
stark naked on a fold out mid page.

I wouldnt go and see "The Sweet" for a million dollars now.

Date: April 20, 2008 23:03

This one, Lorenz. My first extra-terrestrial stereo experience in headphones.

Posted by: Lorenz ()
Date: April 20, 2008 23:45

Thanks Peter, checked some songs on Youtube now and I know some, of course. Just didn't know what band they were from.

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: April 21, 2008 00:26

Baboon,

I bet you would go and see them for a million dollars!

All their 'famous', and incredibly banal but funny, early UK hits were written by Chinn and Chapman.

Not sure if Sunset Boulevard is self-penned but I imagine tha the '78 album was. It had a hit single called Love is Like Oxygen which was heading in the right direction.

The lead singer's brother, (also now dead), was the lead actor in a British TV Detective series called, Taggart. (Both Scots).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-21 01:17 by Four Stone Walls.

Date: April 21, 2008 00:48

Level Headed from 1978 are the record anyone should listen to, if they want to know about Sweet. Love Is Like Oxygen are just great. Love the long album version.

Desolation Bouleward in Europe and USA are 2 different album. In Europe it was a weak all new material album. In USA they a year later (or so) go on tour in USA and release the album, same cover and titel, but different track list. They include some European hit singles. One of them, Ballroom Blitz, also became a hit in USA. But after that, they almost dissapear. And early 1978 they release Level Headed. A totally new style for Sweet, and a great album. Love Is Like Oxygen (the short single version) became a top 10 hit in USA, UK and Germany.

If you want to know Sweet at their rock prime, you should listen to Sweet Fanny Adams from 1974. No (hit)singles on the album. But a great hard rock album. 10 years ahead of it's time. Lots of power and heavy sound. You can't hear it is from 1974.

From Sweet Fanny Adams (1974) Set Me Free

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-21 00:55 by DKsoulman.

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: April 21, 2008 01:16

Notice the Tongue logo on Steve Priest's shirt!

Oddly, I think I now prefer the the ealier Set Me Free to the later Oxygen.

Somethink very punk about the drums/bass - the speed and simple directness.

Date: April 21, 2008 21:15

Yeah, FSW, like a omen of punk.
I meant UK Desolation.
And FSW, ok.. I would actually go & see them for a million dollar
(now that I'm thinkin' it over*);
I knew since at least 1973 they had songwriters
& still find the original Sweet dead cool,
but I like them best around 1973-74, not so much'round 1971-72.

* ... But would I do it for only a hundred green ones?

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: April 21, 2008 21:55

Don´t forget "Sweet F.A", a very good album, with production any band today would die for.
The Sweet was the first concert I ever went to, back in 1976, on the Give Us A Wink Tour. I was 11 years old...My mum bought my ticket, wich was 30-35 SEK, I think. She drove me to gig at Scandinavium, but I had to take the bus home. Strange, wonder if she meant anything by that? smiling smiley Anyway, along with the Stones, Sweet was my second band.
I stopped listening to them after the "Off The Record" album. I still got all the albums up to that one, but sadly all my singles are gone. They were a singles band, I think I had about 25-30 singles. All gone today, don´t know where..

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: Harlix ()
Date: April 22, 2008 00:22

Early teenage memories eye rolling smiley Thank god The Rolling stones came in my way 1974 and saved my soul spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

It´s Only Rock´n Roll

Date: April 22, 2008 00:31

I miss these hairstyles...

Posted by: Harlix ()
Date: April 22, 2008 00:44

eye rolling smiley grinning smiley

It´s Only Rock´n Roll

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-22 00:50 by Harlix.

Posted by: ERC6761 ()
Date: April 22, 2008 04:03

My Sweet experience as follows.

Went to see them at Selinas night club at Coogee Bay, Sydney circa 90/91 (they were well past it then, but still with original singer Brian Connolly). Can't remember how but got involved in after show shenagigens with the band in one of the hotel suites - basically lots of beers, smokes etc. Hardly compares to being backstage at Knebworth 76 but...........

Against my better judgement (because I was very pissed)I drove home. Failed to take a corner, overturned the car & wrote it off. Managed to avoid police action but the insurance company very suspicious after I put in the claim on the basis that I had not been drinking. As a result they put a PI on to me who followed me around for a week or so, talking to my friends etc. He eventually got off with my flatmate, lost interest in me and I eventually got the full insurance payout.

All therefore ended happily although I did at the time have to cancel a planned trip to Tanzania/Mt Kilimanjaro as it looked like I was going to be in deep s**t.

Date: April 22, 2008 05:39

rockman, did they play melbourne same tour?

Date: April 22, 2008 09:32

They were notorious for havin' shat on the table back stage at Gröna Lund.
Almost like me ol' mate AKA The Poo Man.

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: April 22, 2008 12:02

Sweet were my first choice at the age of 10 or 11. I still remember buying "Strung Up" - my first brand new LP. I didn't even have a record player then. Had to take my impressive "2-LP-set" to friends, to get to playing it, bursting with pride.

I think they were real fun. And they were kind of interesting too, going through all this "changes" like Bubblegum, Glam Rock, Hard Rock, Songwriters, self written songs, @#$%& up lead singers and so on. And they had a good mix going, consting of pop, hard rock, fashion and overwhelming sound effects. I think it was on "Set Me Free" where I heard my first bit of phasing, which was quite impressive, being still a kid. You thought..."WOW, what's this?...sounds extraterrestrial..."

Naturally, I outgrew my early passion when I discovered the likes of Zeppelin and Deep Purple and later I even destroyed some of my Sweet records ("Give Us A Wink" comes to mind). But lately I bought me a greatest hit package and an expanded version of "Desolation Boulevard" (which may be the peak of the Sweet, artistically speaking). I put it on, and I must say, it's not too bad at all. And "The Six Teens" is indeed an anthem - very catchy and, yes, timeless.

Who'd have thought, that I'd be still proud of my battered copy of "Strung Up", more then thirty years after buying it?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-22 12:16 by Greenblues.

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: April 22, 2008 14:50

Baboon Bro
Yes, Desolation Boulevard. Bubble gum glam for the 60s-born-kids.
Purdy cool in our minds when drummer Mick Tucker exposed'imself
stark naked on a fold out mid page.

I wouldnt go and see "The Sweet" for a million dollars now.

I can't stand The Sweet BUT give me a million dollars and I'll be there on the front row every time

Posted by: sirdoug ()
Date: April 22, 2008 15:10

no thanks

Date: June 3, 2008 15:27

ERC6761
My Sweet experience as follows.

Went to see them at Selinas night club at Coogee Bay, Sydney circa 90/91 (they were well past it then, but still with original singer Brian Connolly). Can't remember how but got involved in after show shenagigens with the band in one of the hotel suites - basically lots of beers, smokes etc. Hardly compares to being backstage at Knebworth 76 but...........

Against my better judgement (because I was very pissed)I drove home. Failed to take a corner, overturned the car & wrote it off. Managed to avoid police action but the insurance company very suspicious after I put in the claim on the basis that I had not been drinking. As a result they put a PI on to me who followed me around for a week or so, talking to my friends etc. He eventually got off with my flatmate, lost interest in me and I eventually got the full insurance payout.

wrong thread, i know, but this is another experience of having met famous people

All therefore ended happily although I did at the time have to cancel a planned trip to Tanzania/Mt Kilimanjaro as it looked like I was going to be in deep s**t.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: June 3, 2008 16:04

The Sweet were a similar deal to Slade.
Actually a good honest band... but dressed up to meet the commercial demands of the "Glam Rock" boom.
Anybody who remembers seeing either band perform live in the earlier days of their success will recall a different animal to that seen on TOTP every Thursday night ;^)

Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: June 3, 2008 16:37

I kind of prefere T-Rex, Steve Harley and Cockney Rebel, Mott the Hoople, and Mick Ronson, from the glam rock hey days. I still play a lot of Mott!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2082
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home