Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
What would have happened if Brian hadn't have left?
Posted by: NickB ()
Date: April 13, 2008 03:19

What would Exile or Sticky Fingers sounded like?

NickB

You can't always get what you want.....

www.myspace.com/thesonkings

Re: What would have happened if Brian hadn't have left?
Posted by: melillo ()
Date: April 13, 2008 03:43

dont know what those albums would have sounded like but the 69 tour would have been a disaster imho

Posted by: J.J.Flash ()
Date: April 13, 2008 08:00

they woulda broke up and we would never be typing on a site like this.

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: April 13, 2008 08:08

It's two separate questions, in my humble opinion: "what if Brian had got his shit together and never left?" and "what if Brian had halfway gotten his shit together, enough to not get kicked out of the band, and not gotten fired?" Either scenario would have been intriguing.

To me, Brian was by, of and for the 1960s. Wouldn't/couldn't/shouldn't have advanced beyond that seminal decade. I keep thinking about the famous quote where Keith tells Brian "you know you'll never see 30" and Brian quietly, without anger, sadness or any kind of protest, simply says "I know." Not everybody is meant to make it a in the long term. Sometimes the flames that burn the brightest burn down the fastest. And the rest of us keep getting @#$%& up until the universe finally says enough and swallows us whole smiling smiley

Posted by: pgarof ()
Date: April 13, 2008 10:02

I think he would have left on his own accord anyway, he wanted to experiment on new ideas and may have found the Stones too restrictive.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: April 13, 2008 10:21

Well, perhaps Jagger had that in his mind when he tried to help the ass of a handicaped guitarist with his marmonica in the recent versions of "Can't You Hear me Knocking"...>grinning smiley<

Seriously, I don't think STICKY or EXILE wouldn't sounded much different if he had been still around. Taylor was never so profile player on record as he was on stage, and Brian did not influence nearly at all to the soundscape of BEGGARS. All those golden era albums are Jagger/Richards shows, those guys were in their creative peak, and all the rest players just contributed to the visions of the masters. If they would haver needed a beautiful solo in some piece, they would have asked someone capable to do that.

Very difficult to locate Brian anymore in STICKY or EXILE; how could he have contributed? BEGGARS gives the hint. And for being such an ambitious and experimental musician I am sure he would have find himself very frustrated, just minimally icing the Mick/Keith show...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-13 10:24 by Doxa.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: April 13, 2008 13:34

I don't think his continued presence would have changed anything musically about the stones.

Had he stayed, they still would have had to turn his mic off in the studio, they still would have had to get other players in for sessions and to play live, and he probably still would have died sooner rather than later.

How they all managed to go along with that weird situation for so long amazes me!

Every picture tells a story, I think these say a lot!

Olympic Sound Studios, London - Spring 1969 - By Eric Hayes

Posted by: phd ()
Date: April 13, 2008 14:18

How can we answer to such a question ?

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: April 13, 2008 14:20

Well, His Majesty managed to give a good answer. Also; there wouldn't be much touring

Date: April 13, 2008 14:33

phd
How can we answer to such a question ?

by using imagination. Speculation is - no matter what boring realist-minded people are saying - fun and doesn't cost anything. This might help: drinking smiley

- Doxa

Date: April 13, 2008 14:56

Had the will and desire been there, they could have possibly worked out a Brian Wilson/Beach Boys type scenario.

Not that Brian Jones was a genius like BW is, but having a touring replacement in place as well as session players filling in for recording may have allowed Brian Jones time to get himself together.

EDIT- added April 14th 2008: Below is a mock photoshopped picture and made up article on a possible alternative outcome had Brian not left the stones! My apologies to those that thought it was real! tongue sticking out smiley

Melody Maker - July 4th 1969 - just for fun!

Brian Jones visits his fellow band mates during their rehearsals at Apple Studios for the upcoming free Hyde Park Concert. Brian met his temporary replacement Mick Taylor saying 'He's really good, he has a very different style to me, but he fits in well' Brian is said to be recovering well following years of continual health problems. Mick said 'It's been a tough few tears, but we're glad that Brian is doing well, he's regaining his enthusiasm for playing!' Brian hopes to be back in the band full time by the end of 1969.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-14 12:09 by His Majesty.

Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: April 13, 2008 15:25

It would have been the end of the Stones. And we would never avhe got access to gems like Exile, Sticky Fingers, Some Girls etc. I'm really glad he left / got fired or whatever.
And another thing, they could not have continued touring with Brian in the band. I won't even think about how many wonderful shows we'd have missed.
This is far to depressing to think about on a lovely Sunday!

Posted by: RichardHurrah ()
Date: April 13, 2008 15:27

First he didn't leave, he got the boot.
Second, he would have died anyway. Drowning in a pool has nothing to do with beeing or not in a band...

Date: April 13, 2008 15:39

RichardHurrah
Second, he would have died anyway. Drowning in a pool has nothing to do with beeing or not in a band...

No necessarily, if you change what went before, then people would likely be in different places at different times etc. Thus the events that lead to his death in the pool on that particular night, may not have taken place.

confused smileyeye popping smiley

Posted by: 5string ()
Date: April 13, 2008 17:30

What's with that pic of Brian with the "Stones"? Does that look strange to any of you? Or am I missing a joke or something else? Cheers

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: April 13, 2008 17:45

Never saw the pic of Brian and Taylor posted by His Majesty. Great one. I can't help feeling sorry for Brian though.

It's an interesting question nonetheless. It's hard to say what it would've sounded like. If Brian had got out of his drug problems and continued in the band one of two things could've happened in my view:
1.- He would be the SECOND guitar player to Keith, with a few contributions to the music. He was diminished a great deal by Jagger/Richards and probably would've had a hard time getting much through.
2.- He would be allowed to make many contributions to the music making the writer team Jagger/Richards/Jones.

Number 1 would be the most likely I think.

Another thing: I would have loved to hear what Exile sounded like with Ronnie.

JumpingKentFlash

Date: April 13, 2008 18:57

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-14 09:34 by Doxa.

Posted by: z ()
Date: April 13, 2008 19:05

"What would have happened if Brian hadn't have left?"

why "Would have..."?
I'm sure it DID happen in some parallel universe.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: April 13, 2008 19:08

>> Interesting in that article is that speculation about Brian's probable return <<

yes, particularly given the date of the issue it's from, relative to the date Brian died

Date: April 13, 2008 19:25

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-14 09:34 by Doxa.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: April 13, 2008 19:30

edit: since Doxa's eliminated his/her posts leaving mine here doesn't make much sense.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-14 11:34 by with sssoul.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: April 13, 2008 20:50

Doxa
Thank you very much His Majesty for that photo of Brian with "Taylor-era Stones". I have never seen that before. A real gem. And somehow tragical, but Brian looks much happier than in the ones His Majesty send before...

Interesting in that article is that speculation about Brian's probable return. I remember reading also that kind of statements (prior Brian's death) of the 'divorce' been more like temporal arrangement, and the future was left open. Was that only PR propaganda, or was there also some truth in that also? Was their divorce really so final as it seen nowadays (thanks to his death)? Did the others gave Brian some sort of promise (to make him feel better or something) that he is not totally left out? Aah, so many questions...

- Doxa

sorry, but I think the article is fiction by HM, and the picture is Photoshopped. Nice work, though!

Date: April 13, 2008 21:11

cc
Doxa
Thank you very much His Majesty for that photo of Brian with "Taylor-era Stones". I have never seen that before. A real gem. And somehow tragical, but Brian looks much happier than in the ones His Majesty send before...

Interesting in that article is that speculation about Brian's probable return. I remember reading also that kind of statements (prior Brian's death) of the 'divorce' been more like temporal arrangement, and the future was left open. Was that only PR propaganda, or was there also some truth in that also? Was their divorce really so final as it seen nowadays (thanks to his death)? Did the others gave Brian some sort of promise (to make him feel better or something) that he is not totally left out? Aah, so many questions...

- Doxa

sorry, but I think the article is fiction by HM, and the picture is Photoshopped. Nice work, though!

Ok, then I was fooled. But really nice work anyhow!smileys with beer

- Doxa

Posted by: bumbum ()
Date: April 13, 2008 22:49

Depends in which condition Brian would have been in.

If he had continued being drugged then it would have harmed the live shows - the recordring would have been without the inspiration from Mick T - fx. on GHS and IORR.

If he had quit using drugs and had been clean he would probably have been just as good as Mick T. (not the same style), and Ronnie.

Brian was a very good musician - the best of them in the beginning - both technically and playing several instruments.

Date: April 14, 2008 01:08

Woah guys, yeah the pic is a fake, from the back of some bootleg, and the article is from my imagination of what a possible report on a possible 'other' outcome would have been like! eye popping smiley

That pic of Brian is from spring 1968.

Btw, I've been collecting up old music papers from that time and there doesn't seem to be any hints of Brian re-joining or anything like that. All the articles or comments tend to define things as Brian has left, Mick Taylor is in!

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: April 14, 2008 02:40

-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-14 08:38 by alimente.

Posted by: 5string ()
Date: April 14, 2008 03:23

I don't think that Mick J, Keith or Bill are real in that pic. And Taylor is suspect too. Charlie and Brian look like themselves. Bill kind of--Mick and Keith no. I mean look at Mick's right arm! No way! Cheers

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: April 14, 2008 04:30

looks like a portrait of somekind, not a photo, keefs face is very suspect

Date: April 14, 2008 08:37

man that picture is great.. had me totally fooled.. i was like "how come i don't remember this??"

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: April 14, 2008 08:38

now serious: there is a good reason why Brian left/got the boot. the question is like: what would have happened if a certain married couple did not get divorced? answer: the shit would have had continued. it does not make any sense. Brian got the boot because he did not contribute to the Stones anymore and prevented them for touring because of the state of his health.

I am pretty sure that if Brian did not stop contributing to the Stones and did not develop into a millstone around their necks they would not have fired him.

but what would have happened if Dinosaurs did not leave the earth some million years ago?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-14 08:39 by alimente.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1567
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home