Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Songs about betraying your friend
Posted by: StratoGR ()
Date: April 12, 2008 22:25

Are there any songs from the Stones that are referring,in a betrayal of a friend for a chick?

Re: Songs about betraying your friend
Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: April 12, 2008 22:30

Coming Down Again.

Posted by: yapyap5 ()
Date: April 12, 2008 22:33

Worried About You
Too Tough, maybe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-12 22:34 by yapyap5.

Posted by: yapyap5 ()
Date: April 12, 2008 22:41

Let Me Go

Sorry, keep thinking of other songs that are about betraying a friend.

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: April 12, 2008 22:45

I think I remember reading 'Hide Your Love' was on this type of theme. Maybe it's more about denial.

Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: April 12, 2008 23:45

Little off topic, since not a Stones song. Such a night, by Dr John (in the last waltz) is the best one I can think of. "If I don't do it, somebody else will" Best almost Stones is Mick's Long Black Veil with the Chieftans.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: April 12, 2008 23:45

do you mean songs where the singer is betrayed by a friend & a chick,
or songs where the singer is doing the betraying, or both?

Congratulations
Take It or Leave It
Melody
She Saw Me Coming

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-12 23:50 by with sssoul.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: April 13, 2008 01:51

I always wondered about Keith's "Thief In The Night" where he says"He aint gonna like this at all-Thats good,I know the feeling". Directed at Mick over Anita maybe?? Sorry-just an overactive imagination I guess!!

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: April 13, 2008 01:53

Gimme Shelter is r e a l l y about that, in disguise.

And All About You, to a large extent.

Posted by: StratoGR ()
Date: April 13, 2008 02:23

I mean when the singer is doing the betraying.

Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: April 15, 2008 08:27

I remember Keith explaining he was stealing from a father in "Thief in the Night"

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: April 15, 2008 15:16

Thief in the night is, I think, about Patti and her affair with that religious guy she brought to the family. Hence the title: (like a ) thief in the night. It's about jelousy.

Date: April 15, 2008 15:36

>> her affair with that religious guy she brought to the family <<

are you talking about the local pastor she was reportedly close to for a while?
repeating distortions of rumours as if they were fact is a bad habit, LA F.

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: April 15, 2008 19:41

Yeah but isnt the song about that incident? I dunno if they had an affair or not but keith wasnt too happy with that pastor from what ive read.

Date: April 15, 2008 19:50

i've also read speculation that the song is about that, but it was speculation -
and making that clear is what separates fans from bottom-feeding crap regurgitators, you know what i mean :E

how about making a film of the question and uploading it to that youtube "Ask the Glimmers" deal

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: April 15, 2008 19:50

...word on the street was that it was consummated......

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: April 15, 2008 20:24

Whoaaaa hold the phone. I do not know anything about this story, rumor or not. When was this supposed to have taken place. Was this in a book?

Date: April 15, 2008 20:30

Strong Persuader by Robert Cray.

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: April 15, 2008 20:43

BACK STREET GIRL......

Re: religion
Date: April 15, 2008 21:31

>> Was this in a book? <<

i think Bockris mentions it in one of the updates of his Keith biography.
apparently it was during the VL tour that Patti renewed her organized-religious activity
(i don't know what to call it and i mean no disrespect - she was raised in a religious family
and maybe it's easy to picture it becoming a vivid part of her life again.)
apparently a local pastor paid her a lot of attention and people started gossiping.
i've also heard Keith didn't like it much when he got home from the tour,
but i'm not sure that had anything to do with any suspicions of an affair - what i read
sounded more like he simply didn't appreciate a heavy organized-religion trip being laid on him at home,
but that was just speculation too. it's their private life.
so unless LA Forum feels like submitting it as a youtube question ...

Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: April 15, 2008 21:32

You don't move me. (Keith about feeling betrayed when Jagger pursued a solo career and refused to tour with the Stones)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-15 23:30 by Addicted.

Date: April 15, 2008 21:40

Thanks with sssoul. I got the Bockris book when it first came out, so I wouldn't have seen the updates.

I don't think there's anything wrong with her having male friends - who cares if people talk. I have a TON of guy friends that I have never messed around with. I always wondered about Patti and religion. I know it's very important to her now, and obviously her family as well, but she seemed to be such a wild child in her youth.

I can also see Keith not liking the whole organized religion thing being pushed upon him (if indeed, it was). I do not like that sort of thing at all either. In fact, I have a real problem with it. It's great to believe in SOMETHING, but no need to share it with the world. I just made up my new slogan: Religion is like herpes, it's best kept to oneself.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: April 15, 2008 21:47

not stones but "smiling faces" by the Undisputed Truth

"your enimies won't do you no harm, 'cause you know where they're coming from, Dont let the handshake and the smile fool ya, take my advice Im only tryin to school ya"

Re: religion
Date: April 15, 2008 21:48

>> who cares if people talk <<

yeah - gossip like that might be more of a problem for a pastor, though, i guess ...
i wouldn't want anyone laying religious trips on me at home either,
but who knows if that's what was going on - maybe this pastor was a Stones fan
and just wanted to hang with Keith. Bockris if i recall was quoting some "unnamed source" about the whole story,
and it mainly sounded like someone was resentful of Patti and blaming her for Keith not partying nonstop anymore.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-15 21:56 by with sssoul.

Date: April 15, 2008 21:53

with sssoul
Bockris if i recall was quoting some "unnamed source" about the whole story, and it mainly sounded like someone was resentful of Patti and blaming her for Keith not partying nonstop anymore.

OMG - that is ridiculous if that is true. He was in his 50's at that time, I'm in my early 40's and I can't tell you the last time I've partied, it just doesn't really appeal to me that much anymore. I hate how people are resentful of these guys growing up naturally. They just want them to remain icons, they forget they're real people. So stupid.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: April 15, 2008 21:58

Keith said "Thief in the Night" was about him and Anita. "Old story, new song." I read the Bockris book, he never said Patti had an affair with the pastor he just runs with the Keith is an atheist and disliked Patti returning to the faith. Patti's brother says otherwise about Keith and religion. I'm not claiming he says his prayers every night before going to sleep or that he considers himself a specific denomination, but there is much more to the man than the image he wants the public to eat up. Keith has or had a lot of infidelity songs over the years, but I think its a mistake to think that means Patti's running around on him. They're probably more looking back on the Anita situation and the complications that followed it for the next dozen years and ways of dealing with Mick's solo ambitions and the threat Keith felt personally.

Posted by: Addicted ()
Date: April 15, 2008 23:33

About Keith, Patti, her religious family and the gospel record Keith made with Patti's pastor brother. Does anyone actually have a copy of that CD? I heard they only made 1000 copies, but still - I'd be surprised if nobody on this side has got it.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: April 15, 2008 23:42

Addicted
About Keith, Patti, her religious family and the gospel record Keith made with Patti's pastor brother. Does anyone actually have a copy of that CD? I heard they only made 1000 copies, but still - I'd be surprised if nobody on this side has got it.

If you're refering to Marsha Hansen's "My Soul Is A Witness", I've got it.

Posted by: Lightnin' ()
Date: April 15, 2008 23:48

StratoGR
I mean when the singer is doing the betraying.

The song "1/2 A Loaf" by Mick Jagger deals with that theme.

Here's to freezing in the doorways, here's to taking separate taxis.
To our stolen conversations, we're never seen together
Half a dream, half a life, heaven I don't know how -
But I can't go on seeing you like this

Date: April 16, 2008 00:17

>> Marsha Hansen's "My Soul Is A Witness", I've got it. <<

me too. if i've got it straight Marsha is Patti's brother's wife, and she and her husband are both pastors.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1566
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home