Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT, 40 years of 2001: A Space Odyssey , by Kubrick
Posted by: carlitosbaez ()
Date: April 11, 2008 03:09

What a master piece ladies and gentleman,40 years from be released

Carlitos
Tenerife

Re: OT, 40 years of 2001: A Space Odyssey , by Kubrick
Date: April 11, 2008 03:10

Why this called Kubrick?

Carlitos
Tenerife

Date: April 11, 2008 03:16

I read sometime, Kubrick though in Mick Jagger ato do A Clockwork Orange, and The Rolling Stones the soudtrack, can you imagine Mick doing Alex´s play (Andy Mcdowell?

Carlitos
Tenerife

Date: April 11, 2008 03:18

The sets for all lately live shows of Stones were inspired in sets of 2001 Oddisey

Date: April 11, 2008 03:19

An apology of violence or irony about society IORR guys?

Carlitos
Tenerife

Date: April 11, 2008 03:21

Paint it black in final credits of Full Metal Jacket

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 11, 2008 06:13

Materpiece, and the special effects hold up against anything current. It really shows the strength of using tried and true effects as opposed to the crutch of CGI which has ruined many a recent sci fi movie, wittness the three recent Star Wars which have way to much CGI and they look more like comic book/movies...and I am Legend with those hidious CGI creatures that looked so fake! Even the animals roaming in the city were CGI!

Aurthur C. Clark and Kubric wrote the screen play together and both won oscars for it. It is an amazing story with such depth and mystery. I wish they would have worked on 2010 together, because that book is amazing! And really answers many questions about the monolith.

I am going home after work to watch 2001! And crank the sound, the music is phenominal.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: April 11, 2008 07:25

Ah yes, my favorite movie of all time! I first saw it when I was 10 years old and didn't understand it until after I read the book but man, even as a kid I could see and appreciate the perfect marriage between film and music. Woof!

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: April 11, 2008 08:37

Alongside Easy Rider: the most overrated movie ever.

Posted by: Keith The Beast ()
Date: April 11, 2008 09:24

Also my favorite movie ever! The first movie I ever videotaped. I remember wacthing it late at night and feeling guilty that I was awake (I had to wake up early in the morning for school) so I grabed a blank cassete and recorded it while I fell asleep. I remember waking up in the morning really wanting to know the ending, hardly did I know all that I would watch. I dind't "get it" the first time I watched it but I knew it was amazing nonetheless. I remember being in complete awe by the whole ape scene at the beginning. It was soooooooo amazing and real. The whole movie was so real for me. I still love watching it. Stanley Kubrick was a real genius. His storytelling ability and amazing visuals are still amazing to this day!

Posted by: The GR ()
Date: April 11, 2008 14:48

The greatest science fiction film of all time. But best enjoyed on the big screen.

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: April 11, 2008 18:20

BowieStone

Oh COME ON, Gimme a break - that's a real lame statement... a masterpiece if there ever was one..... KUBRICK was the KING, no one can touch him.....

HE WAS A GENIUS

PATHS OF GLORY/LOLITA/DR.STRANGELOVE/2001/CLOCKWORK ORANGE/BARRY LYNDON/THE SHINING/FULL METAL JACKET/EYES WIDE SHUT - Rest in Peace STANLEY - you left us too soon !!!

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: April 11, 2008 18:27

Having sat through Eyes Wide Shut, I would argue that he left us too late.

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: April 11, 2008 19:07

loog droog, just because it's not fast cut like an MTV video doesn't mean it's not watchable, My Film friends and I Love "EYES WIDE SHUT" but I'm weird, I like 3 hour dinners with plenty of wine and friends at a French Cafe instead of driving through McDonalds (just old fashioned I guess).... But to each their own, "Honey, I Think I Shrunk The Kids" is always on Cable lately - that's a classic not to be missed.......moves fast, easy to comprehend....

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: April 11, 2008 19:21

An absolute masterpiece!

As a kid, I went to see it on about four or five seperate occasions during the first months of its release and countless times afterwards. I don't know about the rest of you guys, but it's a film I like to watch by myself and not be in the company of others who will either get bored or ask too many questions.

Don't think much of the follow-up, mind!

Posted by: llargueras ()
Date: April 11, 2008 21:08

Completamente de acuerdo Carlitos,
Kubrick sera recordado como uno de los mas grandes y 2001 quizas su maximo logro.
Una curiosidad que siempre he escuchado y que quizas algun amigo de IORR me podra confirmar.
Does anyone knows if it's true that IBM was behind the movie, the project and so? Please remember that curiously the name of the computer in charge of the spacecraft in the movie was JAL, and in the alphabet J goes previously of I, A goes previously of B and finally L of M.
Probably it's only like a joke, but if you know about it let me know. Thanks.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: April 11, 2008 21:30

Well, it came to the small town of Kristiansund, Norway in 1969, and I was 12 years old.

The movie all rock stars went to see. Best movie ever, along with "Easy Rider".

I went to see "A Clockwork Orange" because I wanted more of the same, but got disappointed.

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: April 11, 2008 22:14

<<I read sometime, Kubrick though in Mick Jagger ato do A Clockwork Orange>>

The way I remember that story; it was Terry Southern's lawyer who tried to get The Stones to do it.

carlitos, you might find this 'Stones & Clockwork Orange' thread interesting: [www.iorr.org]

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: April 11, 2008 22:55

HelterSkelter
loog droog, just because it's not fast cut like an MTV video doesn't mean it's not watchable,

Did I say that?

My Film friends and I Love "EYES WIDE SHUT" but I'm weird, I like 3 hour dinners with plenty of wine and friends at a French Cafe instead of driving through McDonalds (just old fashioned I guess).... But to each their own, "Honey, I Think I Shrunk The Kids" is always on Cable lately - that's a classic not to be missed.......moves fast, easy to comprehend....

A lot of the cult of Kubrick rests on the notion that if you don't like it, you just don't "get" it.

Nonsense.

By the end of his life, Kubrick was all about his style, with no real handle on substance. He got so wrapped up in all the details that it took him over 10 years to make a film that Woody Allen could have wrapped in nine months. He worried more about the dimensions of boxes that he could store his files in than whether anyone would believe the plots of his films.

It's too bad he parted ways with James Harris after Lolita. The complete control that he had over his films became a real problem.

Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: April 11, 2008 23:58

2001 is the one movie Id LOVE to see in an IMAX setting. Its a great movie with a lot of philosophical messages. Further the trippy ending syncs up great with Floyds Echoes: its like the former was made as a light show for the latter!
Loog, if your refering to the time span between Full Metal Jacket and Eyes Wide Shut theres a better explanation than Kubrick being wrapped up in style over substance. He was going to do a movie called Aryan Papers which he researched thoroughly (as he did for alot of his movies). However by the time Kubrick was ready to begin filming it, he discovered that the plot was too similar to the recently released Schindlers List and shelved the project. Ever the perfectionist Kubrick went back to the board and reemerged with the mediocre Eyes Wide Shut (although Nicole Kidman is smokin in that movie).
Kubrick is certainly a director who had his own style and made some great movies in almost every genre. Dr. Strangelove remains one of the best Cold War/War satires ever done. A truly great movie. 2001: the best sci fi film because of the depths it operates on; The Shining, more of a great thriller than Horror film.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: April 12, 2008 04:12

Ah, you believe in the "Echoes"-synch bulshit!!!

Neither have I seen before me any underwater scenes.

Echoes has always been a desert fantasy to me, and I want it to stay that way.

Posted by: soundcheck ()
Date: April 12, 2008 04:36

BowieStone

... ill back ya up on that one bowiestone.
. . ,,but my clan an i, we all took real dsl and saw it at Grauman's chinese theater when it open'd,, hal was in the third row, seat 17, poppin popcorn and milkin a cow for butter, the salt shaker was trapizing from the ornate curtin rod that woobled like a worm on a hook.........

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1707
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home