Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Too Much Negative Energy'Round Here or The Coolness In Dissin'
Posted by: King Snake ()
Date: April 11, 2008 17:57

bv
I am perfectly happy.
Always looking at the bright side of life!
No worries!

To Baboon: agree with you on this. A little too often people act like when you don't like something the Stones do you're simply not good enough a Stones-fan. As if you can't handle how superfantastic and godlike they are, and maybe you should go listen to Britney Spears if you want smooth, overproduced perfection.

And Bjornulf: isn't always being happy, always looking on the bright side of life, and never worrying rather boring? I've always found it to be.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-11 18:51 by King Snake.

Posted by: Jumpin'JackFrash ()
Date: April 11, 2008 20:13

This place has just gotten so out of hand. When I first really started to become a Stones fan hardcore back in 2005, I thought that this would be a cool place to get to rally around with fellow fans and talk about why we liked the band.

Now there's too much poison in the veins of a lot of people here. I still don't understand why people who call themselves fans knock the band. Even worse are the people who knock other people for liking the band.

There are still people here who are stand up guys and gals, but for the most part I feel like there's too much negativity and conscious hatred.

I don't think I want to be a part of something like that. I come here to talk about something that I don't get to talk about with anyone else. None of my friends are Stones fans, so they don't give a shit when I talk about them. I thought that would change when I would come here, but now the en vogue thing seems to be Stones bashing. Maybe it's a cultural thing, maybe it's not. Maybe a lot of us really don't like the band anymore, and we feel the need to express that sentiment. And when those of us who are hurt by what those people say speak up, we're shot down. It hurts when you want to share yourself in that way and you feel that you can't.

I find myself coming here less and less only because the climate is so acidic. I can't figure out why, and I wish I had people with whom I could share my interest, The Stones. It's a damn shame, that's all I can think to say.

I hope those of you who are in the habit of bashing and being negative will change your tune. Life is far too short to concentrate that much negativity, especially towards something you love.

Nice talking with you all.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: April 11, 2008 21:06

Jumpin'JackFrash
This place has just gotten so out of hand. When I first really started to become a Stones fan hardcore back in 2005, I thought that this would be a cool place to get to rally around with fellow fans and talk about why we liked the band.

Now there's too much poison in the veins of a lot of people here. I still don't understand why people who call themselves fans knock the band. Even worse are the people who knock other people for liking the band.

There are still people here who are stand up guys and gals, but for the most part I feel like there's too much negativity and conscious hatred.

I don't think I want to be a part of something like that. I come here to talk about something that I don't get to talk about with anyone else. None of my friends are Stones fans, so they don't give a shit when I talk about them. I thought that would change when I would come here, but now the en vogue thing seems to be Stones bashing. Maybe it's a cultural thing, maybe it's not. Maybe a lot of us really don't like the band anymore, and we feel the need to express that sentiment. And when those of us who are hurt by what those people say speak up, we're shot down. It hurts when you want to share yourself in that way and you feel that you can't.

I find myself coming here less and less only because the climate is so acidic. I can't figure out why, and I wish I had people with whom I could share my interest, The Stones. It's a damn shame, that's all I can think to say.

I hope those of you who are in the habit of bashing and being negative will change your tune. Life is far too short to concentrate that much negativity, especially towards something you love.

Nothing's changed, though. People have ALWAYS been this way. The only thing is that it's getting far more prevalent as the Stones keep on releasing material. People are getting more and more sour. But it's always the SAME people....people who dare to say juvenille comments such as: "This doesn't compare to Ya-Ya's" and "they haven't been good since 1989." The Stones have a terrible double sided sword...their history and what they've left behind is constantly being thrown at their faces every time they do ANYthing.

Me, perhaps because I'm a younger fan and only started around B2B...am not as passionate about the "old days' as many people here are. I look at the Stones as performers of TODAY. The 60 year old men that they are. I compare them to other bands and performers of today---NOT to the Stones of 30-40 years ago. How is that a valid way of measuring something? Comparing it to something that's happened many decades ago? I compare them to the current plethora of performers today and the Stones still come out on top. That's why I can still cheer and love them no less than ever.

The best method we should all follow is that people that hate the haters should stay out of their threads and vice versa. The haters should stay out of the "we love the Stones" threads. Basically, if a post aggravates you---we must all adopt a level of discipline.

But don't worry...after everyone gets their copy of SAL and everyone has had their chance to review it (and start a new thread for each new review) the mood of the board will lighten up. Then eventually the guys will go on tour and then the complaints are back on!

Re: Too Much Negative Energy'Round Here or The Coolness Of Dissin'
Posted by: jagger50 ()
Date: April 11, 2008 21:11

I´m in my 32nd year as a Stones fan/collector. I have never complained about them. They have graced my life. I have SAL CD. I can´t hear any problems. It´s an all round piece of greatness. The film is about our favourite band. So what´s wrong with that? They are near retirement and eventual death. What will the whiners whine about then? Smell the flowers while you can.

Posted by: NickB ()
Date: April 11, 2008 21:18

Jumpin'JackFrash

I know exactly what you're saying there. It all makes sense AND I agree with your points. It's easy to be a critic and in fact we can all be a bit negative sometimes. I know I'm guilty of negativity at times as it's easier generally to be negative rather than positive. I like to think I have a balanced point of view and those people who you see as bashers are probably frustated that the Stones aren't the same band circa 1972. It's natural. It doesn't mean to say that they don't love the Stones per se. Of course they do otherwise they wouldn't be wasting their time posting what you and I may perceive to be negative comments.

It's all about understanding where people are at in their own headspace. It would be a lot easier face to face but unfortunately we can't communicate face to face and a lot of what is said/ written about the Stones may seem negative but may in fact just be thoughts or words that we misunderstand or misread. I'm rambling here so someone who has a degree in counselling or head doctoring help me out here please.

Everyone have a Stonestastic weekend. (I won't I'm working tomorrow but playing my geetar on Sunday with my blues band Highway 5)

NickB

You can't always get what you want.....

www.myspace.com/thesonkings

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: April 11, 2008 21:22

Come back/Stay, Frash! The board needs folks like you around!

Posted by: NickB ()
Date: April 11, 2008 21:31

By the way I wasn't trying to justify any bashing/ negativity just trying to put across a balanced objective point of view.

NickB

You can't always get what you want.....

www.myspace.com/thesonkings

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: April 12, 2008 00:08

Many other fan forums are organized - there are sections designed for glowing love and sections for raw criticism. Here, there's one long list of topics which often get buried after two days,

I'd asked way, way back why there wasn't some kind of division, to solve that and for just general organization.

I was called a snivelling droll and if "I can't take the heat here, get out" or something along those lines.

A forum is as friendly/hostile as the mods allow it to be.
I still stand by this... maybe some organization might help, allowing people an opinion without getting pounced on EITHER side of the coin.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: sweet neo con ()
Date: April 12, 2008 01:16

Justin wrote: "The only thing is that it's getting far more prevalent as the Stones keep on releasing material."

ding ding ding ding!! i also was thinking that might be a factor.

analogy:
if you have a couple glasses of different wine every night for a month...
you might be able to discern the differences and favor one over another
and negatively critique others. However, if you only had a few glasses
of wine over a one year period, you'd be more apt to appreciate it...assuming you
like wine.

The stones have released so many live recordings (cd & dvd) over the
past 18 years that we've been a bit spoiled.

And then of course there are simply those that enjoy being contrarian.

IORR............but I like it!

Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: April 12, 2008 02:53

right on JJfrash

Posted by: kish_stoned ()
Date: April 12, 2008 02:57

wake up life would be sad without the stones,we are the luckiest fans to have the stones for so long,and music is good too,SO ENJOY WHILE IT LAST,CUT OUT THE CRAP.

Posted by: milio77 ()
Date: April 12, 2008 04:08

Sometimes the biggest fans live with the biigest expectations, some can't accept anything below the level of true excellence and don't forgive disapointments.

Ok, I can understand that, but I'm with Bjornulf in the sense that you must try to be positive. For example, when I saw the Stones playing in Madrid last year it was clear that Keith wasn't playing good. It's no bashing, as I wrote in my review,he was off that night, period. I personally think his ability to play has worsened during the last tour but hey, the man's been through a lot of issues lately, he's human after all and he's got a right to make some mistakes once in a while.

Was I disapointed? Well, a bit since Keith is IMO 50% of the Stones' sound but... what can I say? I focused on the other 50% ,that was brilliant. The set list was great and the rest of the band were smoking! So all in all, I enjoyed it and felt lucky to see the boys again, even if it wasn't the best concert ever. And I'm not gonna turn my back on them just because the performance wasn't as good as four years before.

With SAL it's more or less the same. When we knew Scorsese was going to film the Stones live we were expecting not just another concert film but THE concert film and the definitive documentary. By the time the film was released we all already knew that it wasn't like that, so I could also enjoy the film as it was, a concert film beatifully shot, photographed and edited and on the big screen! I din't expected more than that and I got what I wanted.

Same thing with the soundtrack, for my money the best live album since Stripped. I'm really enjoying disc 1 with a lot of well played rarities and if I reach disc 2 and decide I don't wanna listen Saisfaction for the zillionth time, well the skip or stop buttons were made for that, right? No big deal about it.

So the point is that we're not meant to like or dislike whatever the Stones do, just listen to it, try to enjoy it and if you like, say it so. If you don't, good for you, feel free to talk about it. It makes no sense to be always wanting the Stones be this or that and make a big fuzz about it. They are what they are now, you take it or not. And it makes no sense to argue between us about it, just try to enjoy what we have now. Don't waste your time arguing about if they were better back in '72 or they are now. The day they stop touring we'll all miss them!

Posted by: soundcheck ()
Date: April 12, 2008 06:08

..... hey guys, how is that shine alight thing??? as good as a bigger bang?

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1096
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home