Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Small scale tour!
Posted by: iamthedj ()
Date: April 10, 2008 15:55

I've often heard people say that The Rolling Stones are unable to tour on a small scale (theaters) as they have to many fans. While they can of course fill any stadium in the world, it would not be impossible for them to play residencies at small theaters around the world for a year. They could explore their back catalogue, introduce new material, drop the theatrics of the giant stages and pare down the extended band. They would of course have to offer tickets firstly to their fan-club members.
The only obstacle to doing this would be the loss of income. Do they really love doing this enough to kiss goodbye to the reported 437 million cheque at the end of it all?
Or perhaps I am wrong. Any thoughts?

Re: Small scale tour!
Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: April 10, 2008 16:00

they love to do it............................for the money

Posted by: bv ()
Date: April 10, 2008 16:06

It would be like having the Pope coming to the smallest square in town talking to people. The biggest problem would be how to sell the tickets. There are two million people on IORR alone, and with 100 club shows could see them live with an average of 2000 people at the shows would make it possible for only 10% on IORR to see them. Should we go by age, income or beauty?

Bjornulf

Posted by: Monkeytonkman ()
Date: April 10, 2008 16:12

Arena tour -Superbowl stage.

I am continuing with my campaign to make this happen!!!

Posted by: UrbanSteel ()
Date: April 10, 2008 16:14

X

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2018-08-22 20:06 by UrbanSteel.

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: April 10, 2008 16:29

I've considered this also. I think they should play small venues with select dates on a weekends with a few great "guest artists" involved. They could have a mixed set list each time with half of the songs non-warhorses and simucast it in venues around the world. I as many fans, would be glad to pay a smaller fee to see more shows (even simucasted) that offered this up. The band would have more fun on stage and still bring in some revenue that would match that of large stadiums.

WHAT DO YOU THINK MICK?

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: April 10, 2008 16:35

"to kiss goodbye to the reported 437 million"
560 million dollars as far as I know (the whole ABB 2005-2007 tour of course)

Posted by: therollingmanu ()
Date: April 10, 2008 16:35

bv
Should we go by age, income or beauty?

beauty. Man, I'd see every show on that tour!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 10, 2008 17:37

its all about the money.when you go to work do you work for free? i dont think so.myself i would not show up without the money!!!

Date: April 10, 2008 17:42

bv
It would be like having the Pope coming to the smallest square in town talking to people. The biggest problem would be how to sell the tickets.

The only way to distribute the tickets fairly would be to fan club members. I think BV over-estimates how many casual fans would be willing to pay not only the exorbitant ticket prices but also pay 100 euros to join the shamefully bad official web site in order to buy said tickets.

Also I hear people talking about "overheads". Surely the overheads this band has come from the sheer size of these huge tours. Smaller shows mean smaller overheads.

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: April 10, 2008 17:49

Let's invite only those who bought the CD (SAL) in the first week drinking smiley

Date: April 10, 2008 18:07

The Greek
its all about the money.when you go to work do you work for free? i dont think so.myself i would not show up without the money!!!

I don't think that The Rolling Stones would be left empty handed at the end of a year long theatre only tour. They could each make several millions. Just not 530 million.

Date: April 10, 2008 18:16

Going price for black market theathe show tickets have been around 1000 dollars. A "club tour" would be heaven for the scalpers. And hell for fans without big money.

Bjornulf

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: April 10, 2008 18:19

keep on doing what the STONES do best....KEEP ON ROCKING! how many can do what they do? not many...they earn it...also how many years can they do it? by the way i don't care if i can be one of the 2,000 to see them...ha...Rock on!

Posted by: bumbum ()
Date: April 10, 2008 19:32

it doesn't need to be either or - it could also be a mixture - fx. stadium, smaller stadiums, arean and clubs.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: April 10, 2008 19:33

I don't know - would they be able to musically be able to pull it off? They'd have to re-invent the songs to suit their age and abilities these days. Like a Stripped, relaxed type show.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: bumbum ()
Date: April 10, 2008 20:19

Why not - it worked fine in Beacon Theater, the sme during 40 licks tour. They really enjoyed playing small scale venues - laughing, interacting withe the public etc...

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: April 10, 2008 20:36

Come on, we know they can do it if they really wanted. The way they handled ticket distribution worked fine with the Beacon shows with the bracelets and all. If they have more demand for shows in certain cities just do what the Allman Bros. do and play more than one gig there. Seeing them play at a theater is amazingly different and more energized than that going through the motions feeling you get seeing them play the same hits at someplace like Giants Stadium.. That doesn't really pertain to the South American shows cause those are a different beast all together.

Date: April 10, 2008 20:40

Beacon was a joke. No real normal fans got into that show. If you were an insider or had contacts yes for sure. If you were a paid model they gave you 200 dollars to be among the 50-60 up front nice looking boys and girls (yes I do know teher were half a dozen real fans there too sort of sneaking in and alibi). First night they took away all the downstairs chairs and had lots of moving cameras there. Beacon was certianly not a show for the fans, it was shows for Scorsese. I wish Scorsese had made his movie in Argentina or on the tour. That is the real Stones I love. I hate to see club shows with all the real fans being locked out. Too many hard feelings. Too many tears. Out of tears.

Give us stadium shows all over the world. Give is Bercy, Globen, O2, Budokan, MSG and some more arena shows. A nice mix. That would fit nicely for most fans. Then add in a dozen or so surprise gigs a la Brixton. That would be perfect. Make it possible for real fans to get tickets by word of mouth, not by scalpers only.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: April 10, 2008 20:45

Not Globen. It seems impossible to get good sound in that oversized golf ball.

Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: April 10, 2008 20:45

BV it was for a movie, what I meant by my post is to distribute tickets in that way to stop scalpers from charging $1,000 a ticket. They are clever I am sure there is a way to do it.

I personally will never go see the Stones perform at a stadium again and have many friends and family that feel the same. Last time I couldn't even tell what songs they were playing until a good 20 seconds into the song, or until Mick started singing.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: April 10, 2008 21:14

bv
Going price for black market theathe show tickets have been around 1000 dollars. A "club tour" would be heaven for the scalpers. And hell for fans without big money.

Even the last stadium tour was hell for some fans without big money.

Date: April 10, 2008 21:15

There is no way to stop scalpers. I have seen VIP's selling their unused wristbands to scalpers who sell them on. Not one but many, blocks of tickets, writsbands, the lot. Poor fans pay $1,000 or more and it is a shame. Pollstar claim more than 30% of all tickets in USA are distributed through brokers i.e. what we call scalpers, people adding an uplift to the ticket. If you are mega famous like the Stones it is just a P.R. gimmick when they do clubs. Or for rehearsals, like the Phoenix Toronto gig. I see others like REM do the same. To get PR they do clubs for openers and the press feel spoiled and write great reports so that they will sell their stadium tickets.

I am ready for more shows and I will take then in whatever format they are doing. I am sure Michael Cohl know exactly what it takes. Fifty more shows in 2010-2011 a la Wichita and Regina. Fifty more in India, South Korea, Down Under, Uruguay, Venezuela, BA etc. And a buch of shows in the big cities. It will be a great 50 licks tour for sure. May be a handful club shows to shoot some video and record material but basically larger venues.

Bjornulf

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: April 10, 2008 22:05

Just hope they tour again...Whatever the venue, I'll try to be there.

Posted by: mexicostone ()
Date: April 10, 2008 23:30

they dont love to do it .......... for the money , they love to play , not just money , dont you think thats enough money for em , also , they would be retired since a lot of years before , they keep on rolling because thats a real band!
for sure , theyll tour in a year and a half or so , thats almost for sure!

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: April 11, 2008 01:19

I do not buy the "Smaller show - smaller overhead" thing anymore. It sounds logical, but when I saw the No Security Tour in 1999, it was in an arena and tickets were $250 to $90. I would say 1/3 were $250.00.

I figured for an arena tour they could cut down on costs and I'm sure they do since they do not need a stadium advance team and a couple steel teams. Those savings do not get passed along to the ticket buyer.

The band members still travel with their personal entourages (assistants, nannies, wives, kids,fluffers, you name it...that will not change). They still charter a commercial sized airplane and travel in a Presidential sized motorcade.

Sure, Mick has more money than most entertainers, but that does not mean he should sacrifice his market value.

As far as I am concerned, yearend box office totals are just a glorified dick waving contest. Who cares how the top earner got there, it just makes for a better press release.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 11, 2008 01:25

bv
It would be like having the Pope coming to the smallest square in town talking to people. The biggest problem would be how to sell the tickets. There are two million people on IORR alone, and with 100 club shows could see them live with an average of 2000 people at the shows would make it possible for only 10% on IORR to see them. Should we go by age, income or beauty?

Tough. Its not as if its unprecedented for demand to outstrip supply. The rest of the planet has had ample opportunity to see the Stones by now. No reason why they shouldnt be able to prioritise a ticket allocation to their most devoted fans, if they wanted to (something which is overdue after the way the fan club have shortchanged the fanbase in recent years)

100 theatre shows at, say, 2,500 per show is a quarter of a million tickets. If they wanted, they could do it. The system worked for the dozen or so theatre shows on the Licks tour. No reason why it couldnt be extended for a whole tour.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: April 11, 2008 01:26

And this delicous song could be covered at such a tour as Gazza proposes...
(Paul Petersen doin' the Mottown-song Chained)

Posted by: Halup ()
Date: April 11, 2008 01:31

bv

I am sure Michael Cohl knows exactly what it takes. Fifty more shows in 2010-2011 a la Wichita and Regina. Fifty more in India, South Korea, Down Under, Uruguay, Venezuela, BA etc. And a buch of shows in the big cities. It will be a great 50 licks tour for sure. May be a handful club shows to shoot some video and record material but basically larger venues.

Bjornulf, should we take what you wrote here of 2010-2011 to be what is now rumored for the next time they will tour? Should we feel that the rumored 2009 tour may not matarialize based on your comments?

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: April 11, 2008 01:34

Halup, when and where is the 2009 tour rumoured?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1443
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home