Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Was Mick a better performer when he sang from the mike stand?
Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: April 4, 2008 18:43

After viewing many videos from the 60's to mid 70's I wonder which Mick you like the best. Mick sang many songs from the mike stand as opposed to the pacing and arm waving Mick of the 80's to present. He let it all loose from 1975 to 1981. I think his routine was more focused and spontaneous back then, as compared to the bent arm waving and pointing that he has used heavily during the last few tours.

Granted, cutting the cord on the mike changed his style completely.

Re: Was Mick a better performer when he sang from the mike stand?
Posted by: maumau ()
Date: April 4, 2008 18:49

interesting point. i think the change is mainly a question of age and managing his voice strenght in the process.
another thing is the "choregraphization" of his body performance which i think started after the steel tour and he intended it as a way to "be seen" from long distance in big stadium shows.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: April 4, 2008 19:41

interesting question, and one I thought about as I shook my head over all the reviews of the movie that begin by saying what a marvel of fitness he is, but there are multiple factors to consider. He hasn't declined as a singer simply because he doesn't sing from the mike stand anymore (not that that's exactly what you're saying); there are other reasons. And he's improved slightly in some other ways. But as he admitted, it's now more about the physicality than the musicality.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: April 4, 2008 20:27

I really really miss the old snarly Jagger Voice, not done through a show since the '93 Webster Hall gig.

Mike stands have little to nothing to do with anything (for me over the years, anyways). Not having one - you have easier control over mike-mouth distance.

Better wireless mikes - less need for stands.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: April 4, 2008 20:34

.........back then it didn't matter where Jagger stood. Collectively they drove each other and the audience into a frenzy. The consumate definition of a rock'n roll band.....and damn if those Keith riffs weren't just out of this world........

Date: April 4, 2008 21:24

Jagger could work that mike stand like a woman. I think in the age of cordless mikes, we lost that center stage performance. Jagger was one of the best at it.

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: April 4, 2008 21:34

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-05 09:34 by rooster.

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: April 4, 2008 22:58

Good point, vert interesting. I like the way he "chews and spits" the vocals in the 70s, he's really chewing the mike. And those slow ones, Love in vain in 1972...Bye Bye Johnny, when he returns with the hat. Spits, chews, moans, gowls, sings (!), he jaggers...

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: April 4, 2008 23:27

Its called maturing into the role of vocalist and front man. Everyone's style changes over time. Add to that the evolution of technology and one's abilities are given further opportunity to evolve. I like Mick Jagger in all his iterations equally.

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: April 4, 2008 23:30

Yes.

Posted by: Anderson ()
Date: April 5, 2008 05:00

Yes indeed!

Posted by: inopeng ()
Date: April 5, 2008 07:37

From a showmanship point of view, I like the mic stand better than the wireless and the wireless better, way better, than the headset - that was awful.

I do remember using a mic stand at the end of the side runways in Chicago, 2005...very cool the way he did it.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: April 5, 2008 08:57

remmeber on the Bridges to bablyon tour on JJF, at least at the begining he sang with the mic still on the stand.

Posted by: Hasse78 ()
Date: April 6, 2008 03:36

Bring back the mike stand. It's cool and could work for a few tunes. I wanna see Mick do a mike stand spinn a la´ Dave Gahan. That would be cooooool. grinning smiley

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: April 6, 2008 04:30

The best was when he pranced around so much that he forgot the next chorus was coming, running to the mike stand and missing the first words. Clearly seen in the Dick Cavett Show, performing Street Fighting Man in NYC '72.

Posted by: oldkr ()
Date: April 6, 2008 05:37

mic stand or not the point is moot.

mick was best when he did give a sh*t.

now he couldnt possibly give more of a sh*t

OLDKR

Posted by: pike bishop ()
Date: April 6, 2008 15:04

Yeah he might remember the song lyrics if he wasnt jumpin about

Posted by: Barn Owl ()
Date: April 6, 2008 15:58

Mick Jagger has arguably the greatest stage presence of any singer in the world without ever having to resort to the over-the-top histrionics that have sadly become his stock-in-trade over the last few years. Indeed, his best vocal performances (e.g. Worried About You) come about when he is more relaxed and able to concentrate on what he should really be doing; which is singing.

Then again, his stage theatrics are an unfortunate inevitability of bigger stages, bigger crowds, and the pressing need to "whoop the crowd up" in order to make them feel part of something. Long before the big screens, it was ramps, catwalks, inflatable dolls and cherry-pickers; in fact, anything that could attract the attention of those who might be hundreds of yards away from the action. In those days, Jagger would justify such nonsense by claiming that he was merely "working the stage".

How wonderful it is therefore, to behold those rare, wonderful occasions during which he stands at the mike and performs as the brilliant vocalist that we all know he can still be.

Date: April 6, 2008 19:44

The thing about singing at the mike stand is that it brings the focus on the entire band. Back then, in the era of the smaller modest stages, he had to interact more with the rest of the band due to the limitations of space. Working the mike stand is a talent in itself.

Once the mega stage entered the show, individualism instantly took over. Kind of like "video killed the radio star," the "big stadium stage killed the concert venue."

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: April 6, 2008 23:34

I agree entirely, and I think Mick has said this in interviews. The 81 Tour, in large stadiums and before the large video screens, required him to run all over the stage jump around and use exaggerated gestures and movements. It's become his "style", even though with big screens and arenas, its not necessary.

The "Satisfaction" clip is great. Brian plays right over the drum break!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1459
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home