Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Shine A Light Soundtrack Better Than Stripped?
Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: April 2, 2008 02:35

I don't have an opinion yet since I won't be able to get the SAL soundtrack till the weekend. How do the two compare?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-02 02:41 by FrankM.

Re: Shine A Light Soundtrack Better Than Stripped?
Posted by: georgeV ()
Date: April 2, 2008 03:08

It will have to be pretty darn good to beat Stripped!

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: April 2, 2008 03:42

I agree. Imo Stripped is their best latter day live album.

Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: April 2, 2008 04:32

Stripped has the unique edge of being acoustic, kind of a category unto itself hard to compare properly with all the other live albums

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: April 2, 2008 04:43

I'm listening to it for the first time right now, as I speak... Some Girls and Just My Imagination are really great! The horns sound really good on this, and the guitar sound is really nice and full...

I'd say so far it reminds me a lot of how I felt listening to Stripped for the first time, about 13 years ago (wow!! Has it been THAT long??!!)

Similar kind of intimacy in the performance... Can't wait until I get to see the film some day, if it ever comes within a day's drive of me up here in Maine...

Posted by: Raoul Duke ()
Date: April 2, 2008 04:48

Not a chance. I like Shine a Light quite a bit and I envision listening to it a lot. But the great thing about Stripped is that it took wonderful songs to truly new heights. Shine a Light at best features very good performances of such songs.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: April 2, 2008 04:53

Apples and Oranges. So much of Stripped is performed live in frnt of no audience, and the rest is from several different shows and in no way represents an actual Stones concert. (I Love it, by the way!)

SAL is a more traditional live album, and with the majority of the tracks coming from one show in the order they were performed, it is a great document of a great Stones show...circa 2007.

I think both are outstanding, but completely different. Insert IMO disclaimer here!

Ross

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: April 2, 2008 15:09

SAL is friggin amazing!!! One hell of a live album - now if they had this kind of recording equipment at every show, there'd be no problem releasing each show like other bands.

Posted by: baxlap ()
Date: April 2, 2008 15:31

I don't need to decide: I own both of them!

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: April 2, 2008 17:16

Ross
Apples and Oranges. So much of Stripped is performed live in frnt of no audience, and the rest is from several different shows and in no way represents an actual Stones concert. (I Love it, by the way!)

Thatz what I wuz gonna say man...

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: April 2, 2008 17:32

as many said they're 2 completely different approaches to live album. Imo Stripped's great value is in the reinterpretations of classics (i'm free, wild horses, spider and fly) while some classic live recordings are quite average (let it blled, dead flo) there's keith's perfect slipping away also. Sal sounds more like an "official bootleg". It has the great value of an unconventional setlist and the vibe of "that night" and also it is very rock and roll.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 2, 2008 19:14

FrankM
I don't have an opinion yet since I won't be able to get the SAL soundtrack till the weekend. How do the two compare?

From what I've heard so far, they dont, but I'm resisting hearing the rest of the record until Monday

Champagne & Reefer is superb, however.

For the second Stones live album in a row, it seems that a previously unreleased and unplayed blues cover is going to be one of the album's highpoints.

There's a message in there screaming to get out, Mick.....

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: April 3, 2008 05:03

I don't think it's as good as Stripped. I think Stripped is one of those gems that is kind of tucked away, it doesn't have any hits on it, really, so maybe that's why it's not so popular with the big numbers of people that are of the Hot Rocks variety?

I still think Live Licks is better than Shine A Light.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: April 3, 2008 06:16

SAL is good. But not too much really compares with the outstanding work on Stripped.

Date: April 3, 2008 06:20

And then there is what they left off from Stripped! Just pisses me off!

Posted by: Jumpin'JackFrash ()
Date: April 3, 2008 08:07

Gazza
FrankM

From what I've heard so far, they dont, but I'm resisting hearing the rest of the record until Monday

Champagne & Reefer is superb, however.

For the second Stones live album in a row, it seems that a previously unreleased and unplayed blues cover is going to be one of the album's highpoints.

There's a message in there screaming to get out, Mick.....

Gaz, I think the same thing when I see keith tinker with his guitar when "no one's watching." Like in the video of the Louis Vutton shoot, he plays a descending blues lick and I say - "why can't you do that on albums???"

Posted by: micwer ()
Date: April 3, 2008 08:20

Stripped has its ass kicked by Shine a Light. No doubt IMHO.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: April 3, 2008 08:58

>> when I see Keith tinker with his guitar when "no one's watching." <<

smile: yeah we can hear you, Keith!

>> "why can't you do that ... ?"<<

... waiting for someone to come out of somewhere, maybe :E

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 3, 2008 14:24

skipstone
I don't think it's as good as Stripped. I think Stripped is one of those gems that is kind of tucked away, it doesn't have any hits on it, really, so maybe that's why it's not so popular with the big numbers of people that are of the Hot Rocks variety?

Stripped sold something like 3.5 million, which may be the biggest selling live album theyve ever released and its also outsold a lot of their studio albums.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 3, 2008 16:31

But is it better than Live Licks? eye rolling smiley

Date: April 3, 2008 18:02

I wasn't referring to sales directly but - I know people that like the Stones and have blah blah blah but have NO IDEA about Stripped. That's what I meant.

I dunno. I say what I said now. It will take some time. Stripped ranks pretty high amongst the entire discog for me.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: April 3, 2008 21:31

Elmo Lewis

yes.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 3, 2008 21:35

ryan, I was definitely joking about that!

Some of LL is good, even very good - but the lowlights deduct tooooo many points!

Posted by: Tommy Cosmo ()
Date: April 3, 2008 22:16

Sal is the best live album since Get Your Ya Ya´s!
Fantastic versions of most songs. None of the others can compare in my own opinion.
The sound and the mix is superb, and for the first time we really can hear
the reason why Ron was the perfect man to replace Mick Taylor.
This album Is raw, brilliant and just make me so " Happy"

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: April 3, 2008 23:08

ryanpow
Elmo Lewis

yes.

Most of disc 2 of Licks? Not in my opinion.

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: April 4, 2008 07:47

I'm really diggin' Shattered.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: April 4, 2008 12:38

Stripped is better in my oppinion, especially if you add Stripped compagnion. It has a better sound and the guitars are better. Sal is good enough though, I am glad I bought it!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1884
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home