Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: The Ramones
Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: March 27, 2008 21:55

So, any Ramones fans here ....?

Re: OT: The Ramones
Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: March 27, 2008 22:01

yeah, my girlfriend sheena, she's is a punkrocker, i met her at the end of the century and she introduced me to the ramones, but since the kkk took my baby away, i'm on the road to ruin, but i still believe in miracles......

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: March 27, 2008 22:26

Eat kosher salami.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: March 27, 2008 23:06

guitarbastard
yeah, my girlfriend sheena, she's is a punkrocker, i met her at the end of the century and she introduced me to the ramones, but since the kkk took my baby away, i'm on the road to ruin, but i still believe in miracles......

let me guess... and now you wanna sniff some glue ???

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-03-27 23:06 by ryanpow.

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: March 27, 2008 23:07

guitarbastard

Face it guitarbastard: she just couldn't stay she had to break away. NYC has it all.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: March 27, 2008 23:27

Maybe she's at Rockaway Beach?
deep inside I'm Against It, but about that KKK-kid, I'd beat the brat with the baseball bat and give him some Teenage Lobotomy.
you can offer some Chinese Rocks against the headache later.
go Punkrocker, go.
[www.ramones.com]

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: March 28, 2008 04:16

when i moved to queens, NY a few years ago, i drove out to rockaway beach in homage to the ramones. it was the fall and absolutely no one was there. not exactly what i imagined all those years.

Date: March 28, 2008 04:31

Once upon a time
Little Queenie moved to Queens
and went to Rockaway Beach
but she was all alone...
no sight of the Ramones

Sounds like a sweet fairy tale, LQ. smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: March 28, 2008 04:53

that's cute open-g!

i have met them before - my friend told me to ask them to go get some pizza (a la Rock and Roll High School) - i did but none of them took me up on the offer. i'm an idiot.

i had dee dee sign my jeans jacket and i didn't wash it for years. then i decided "oh who cares" and washed it.

i still have about 10 pics that dee dee gave me over the years at shows.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: March 28, 2008 04:55

The Ramones were a good simple fun loving hard driving Rock & Roll Band. Nothing too complicated,but damn fun to listen too.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: March 28, 2008 05:01

I recently started listening to an album they did of covers called "Acid Eaters". Its a fun album. they do "Out Of Time" and they cover and old song called "Cant seem to make you mine" done by The Scene I believe. They also do "Have you ever seen the rain" and others.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: March 28, 2008 06:05

kind of a sad story, really... they had nowhere to go artistically after perfecting their form on Rocket to Russia. They wanted I think to be more of a mainstream act, but after End of the Century failed, they stuck to the punk (such as it was by then)/hard rock circuit.

not to mention the fates of the 3 main guys.

Posted by: David700 ()
Date: March 28, 2008 13:50

the ramones put out plenty of great rock and roll. i meet joey at a club in nyc once and did not want to bug him but all i could say to him was "keep up the good work" and all he said to me was "i'll do it for you"
the greatest words any rock star has ever said to me.
d

Date: March 28, 2008 14:00

The order of my "Alltime Favorite Bands" list changes after #3, but for me #'s 1, 2 & 3 are without question:

1.) The Rolling Stones
2.) The Ramones
3.) The Clash

You either "get" the Ramones or you don't! I find people either hold them close to their hearts or think they sucked. Rarely do I find folks are indifferent about them, and that is cool. You really needed to be there when they came around, to see how odd/ugly yet raw/exciting they were. I grew up in Queens, and went often to Rockaway Beach, so to hear a song about it was what first grabbed me. Seeing photos of them in Creem & Circus magazines (usually with Mick, Keith, or the Stones on the cover) was intriguing.

I once met Johnny Ramone, having a Heineken at the bar of the Peppermint Lounge before a Johnny Thunders show. Did not say much, but he was cool.

I miss you Joey, Johnny and Dee Dee. Good times.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-03-28 14:02 by Made In The Shade.

Date: March 28, 2008 20:17

David700
all i could say to him was "keep up the good work" and all he said to me was "i'll do it for you"
the greatest words any rock star has ever said to me.
d

that's really good.

as far as all-or-nothing fandom, I don't know... I enjoy some cuts from later records, but I really think the point was made with the first 3, and this was an artistic problem for them. And I'm not kvetching about the way things used to be: I was too young to see them until the early 90s, after Dee Dee. I'm glad I saw them at all, but I know it wasn't the same.

Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: March 28, 2008 20:31

In my opinion all of the Ramones albums are great up to and including Subterranean Jungle. Critics always blahblah, but amongst my Ramones buddies "Road To Ruin" is probably the favourite after the debut
I feel a right to my opinion as I bought every record since Blitzkreig Bop in 1976.
At their height they were for me the greatest live band of all. They killed up until about 1987, then the shows started to slide, they were just tired from the years of constant touring. They will never be forgotten, immortals winking smiley

Posted by: Nanker Phlegm ()
Date: March 28, 2008 23:25

Ramones Rule !!!

GABBA
GABBA
HEY
!!!!

Date: March 29, 2008 01:11

hot smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-03-29 01:15 by open-g.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: March 29, 2008 06:20

END OF THE CENTURY (the movie, not the album) is one of *the* great rock'n roll documentaries.

Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: March 29, 2008 08:12

Love the Ramones

Date: March 29, 2008 10:18

Glam Descendant
END OF THE CENTURY (the movie, not the album) is one of *the* great rock'n roll documentaries.

Absolutely! It's hilarious (pretty much every second with DeeDee), tragic (Joey), fascinating (Johnny Ramone - what a complete walking contradiction of a guy; I couldn't help but admire him though), and frustrating (The Ramones changed music not once but twice and wound up not really getting their financial due).

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: March 29, 2008 15:24

In the middle of this endless, mind-numbing presidential campaign, I'm reminded of seeing Joey perform at a Jerry Brown for president rally at the intersection of Broadway and 72nd Street in the spring of 1992. He did John Lennon's "Gimme Some Truth".

Right on, brother.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: March 29, 2008 18:32

ryanpow
I recently started listening to an album they did of covers called "Acid Eaters". Its a fun album. they do "Out Of Time" and they cover and old song called "Cant seem to make you mine" done by The Scene I believe. They also do "Have you ever seen the rain" and others.

"Can't Seem to Make You Mine" was by The Seeds. (It wasn't just "Pushin Too Hard" for Sky Saxon and the guys--The Seeds were TWO-hit wonders!)

Date: March 29, 2008 19:58

Did you guys hear Joey Ramones solo album "Dont worry About Me" recorded just before he died. If not check it out its fantastic and stronger than many of the late period records.

I wonder if any of the Stones have ever commented about the Ramones. I can imagine they would probably like them. I know that Keith and Ronnie hung out with many of the great punk musicians (Cheetah Chrome,Richard Lloyd etc) but I never heard of them mentinoning the Ramones.

Date: March 29, 2008 20:27

humanriff77
Did you guys hear Joey Ramones solo album "Dont worry About Me" recorded just before he died. If not check it out its fantastic and stronger than many of the late period records.

I wonder if any of the Stones have ever commented about the Ramones. I can imagine they would probably like them. I know that Keith and Ronnie hung out with many of the great punk musicians (Cheetah Chrome,Richard Lloyd etc) but I never heard of them mentinoning the Ramones.

Joey's album is superb. And you're right - it's the best thing he'd done since "Too Tough To Die". The Ramones' albums from 1986 onwards were pretty piss poor - one or two great to good songs surrounded in indifferent shite. Don't Worry About Me was a different kind of album though.

Date: March 29, 2008 20:47

Nikolai
Absolutely! It's hilarious (pretty much every second with DeeDee), tragic (Joey), fascinating (Johnny Ramone - what a complete walking contradiction of a guy; I couldn't help but admire him though), and frustrating (The Ramones changed music not once but twice and wound up not really getting their financial due).

what was the second time they changed music?

Date: March 29, 2008 20:49

humanriff77

they did? I thought keith especially was contemptuous of the New York Dolls, the Sex Pistols, and the Clash, who are certainly more A-list punk rock than the Dead Boys. And I doubt he would have liked Television, either. ron will hang out with anyone.
I thought mick was the one actually interested in punk, though only getting as close as Lou & Iggy.

Date: March 29, 2008 20:50

Date: March 29, 2008 21:08

well, I would call that keith hanging out with Ronnie Spector, who happens to be hanging out with Joey.

Date: March 29, 2008 21:08

Thanks for that pic Open G, there are actually 4 genius musicians there Keith,Joey,Ronnie Spector and if im not mistaken thats Dee Dee Ramone looking like a skinny skinhead in the background.
CC the comment about Television, I dont know I remember hearing back then that Keith Mick wanted to sign Richard Hell (original Television bassist) to Rolling Stones Records, the deal fell through because Hell wanted too much money. I also remember tales of Mick and Keith roller skating on heroin with Cheetah and Richard smiling smiley

The Stones silence about the Pistols, Clash etc at the time was understandable as no one can deny they stole the Stones thunder, but also gave them a great kick up the arse to create Some Girls, IMHO the last great Stones record.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1264
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home