Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Anybody Seen My Baby & Constant Craving
Date: March 28, 2008 09:40

marcovandereijk
One can go on for ever of course with examples like these. Just from top of my head:

Ben E King (Stand by me) vs Police (Every breath you take)
Stones (Miss you) vs Rod Stewart (Da ya think I'm sexy)
Gloria Gaynor (I will survive) vs Robbie Williams (Love supreme)

so rod heard a song in '78 then wrote a song that copied it and recorded it and released an album all in 1978? that timeline seems doubtful as it takes about 2 months just to press an album and get the sleeves right and ship them to retail

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: March 28, 2008 19:52

keefriffhard4life
marcovandereijk
One can go on for ever of course with examples like these. Just from top of my head:

so rod heard a song in '78 then wrote a song that copied it and recorded it and released an album all in 1978? that timeline seems doubtful as it takes about 2 months just to press an album and get the sleeves right and ship them to retail

But Miss You had been in the can for some time already!

I remember Wood talking about MY in one of his first interviews as a off. Stone.
`We already have a new song for the next new album "Holding out so long" . .´

And there may have contact to his old buddy Rod. Like proudly presenting their new stuff.

Hot Stuff - Hot legs, Miss you - Sexy
In those years it was pretty obvious that Steward had a look at the Stones now and than.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-03-28 19:56 by CousinC.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: March 28, 2008 20:04

>> As if Keith can dictate how royalties are doled out lol. <<

um, actually it is the songwriters/copyright holders who tell the royalties agencies
what percentages are due to whom. i'm not saying i know anything about who got how much in this case,
but whatever the division is, it's what the songwriters decided on.

Date: March 29, 2008 05:27

CousinC
keefriffhard4life
marcovandereijk

But Miss You had been in the can for some time already!

I remember Wood talking about MY in one of his first interviews as a off. Stone.
`We already have a new song for the next new album "Holding out so long" . .´

And there may have contact to his old buddy Rod. Like proudly presenting their new stuff.

Hot Stuff - Hot legs, Miss you - Sexy
In those years it was pretty obvious that Steward had a look at the Stones now and than.

thats ignorant. hot legs is a hrad rocking tune and hot stuff is a weak dance tinged tuned. not even close to the same sound. same with sexy and miss you. they sound nothign alike outside of the fact the are both disco tunes

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: March 29, 2008 19:01

I see it completly different!

What counts is the soul behind the song.
At least Sexy was very congenial to Miss You. Even Rod did admit at the time that he had been influenced by MY!

Date: March 29, 2008 20:54

soundcheck
..... it was a marketing ploy, to bring in sales from the lesbo community...

LOFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: BrianJones1969 ()
Date: December 8, 2009 04:08

If "Every Breath You Take" itself did in fact sound somewhat like "Stand By Me," (look at the music video for EBYT: the imagery for it was taken from old jazz films); then maybe that was why Diddy used EBYT to sample "I'll Be Missing You" (the lyrics pay homage to the passing of his dead pal, the Notorious B.I.G.).

~Ben

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-12-09 03:16 by BrianJones1969.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: December 8, 2009 20:15

I've never felt these two were all that similar, personally.....

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: December 9, 2009 00:30

Bruce Springsteen vs Kiss
Coldplay vs Satriani
They did't share credits!!!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 18, 2015 22:34

It's a coincidence. Just like Bruce Springsteen didn't plagiurize KISS when he wrote "Outlaw Pete."

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: June 18, 2015 22:51

Glam Descendant
>I think I also read that
Keith insisted that the $ for K.D. come out of Mick's
share of the royalties.

Oh I don't believe that, where did you read such nonsense? As if Keith can dictate how royalties are doled out lol.

I have no idea of the truth of that assertion but considering the Stones own their own recordings, publishing and maintain control of the copyrights through Promotone, I'd bet they have a bit more discretion concerning how royalties are paid than you may think. Pretty sure the only part of the whole business they contract out is the distribution.

If the Stones can't dictate how royalties are paid out, how to you think they were able to cut Mick Taylor's off for the last 32 years? smoking smiley

peace

Posted by: Marhsall ()
Date: June 18, 2015 23:32

On the topic of songs with a familiarness;

I've always heard/read that there is ALOT in common between 'Beast of Burden' & 'Clean Up Woman' by Betty Wright, esp. by other guitarists.

But I've never heard it, or made the connection.

"Well my heavy throbbers itchin' just to lay a solid rhythm down"

Posted by: taz22 ()
Date: June 19, 2015 00:09

The only 'opinion' that really matters is that of Keith and Mick.

Obviously they felt that it was best to give KD Lang a credit, as in their opinion ASMB must have sounded close enough to Constant Craving that they did what they did.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: June 19, 2015 00:19

Mick has said it was Virgin's legal department that was nervous about the similarity in choruses. He agreed to give k.d. Lang and Ben Mink royalties and an offer of credit (which they accepted) rather than shelve the song which was the lead single and further delay an album that was already coming out after the tour started. Keith has his version of the story much like Muddy Waters painting the ceiling at Chess Records in June 1964.

Posted by: jrcjohnny99 ()
Date: June 19, 2015 00:24

marcovandereijk

Williams (and Guy Chambers) specifically wrote the song around the sample and the songwriters of I Will Survive are credited and have been from day one.

and wasn't "Da ya think i'm sexy" supposed to be stolen from a Brazillian song called "Taj Mahal"?

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1902
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home