Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT:lou reed
Posted by: cc ()
Date: March 27, 2008 16:25

Greenblues
But then he has never been the person you'd give a slap on his back, was he?

certainly not, you're right!

if you mean Animal Serenade, I don't have that one either... but I thought The Raven was underrated.

and tatters: great story! do you mind if I post it on the Lou Reed Forum? [www.loureedforum.com] (not as my own experience, of course!)

and if Lou Reed's "vignette"-style answers on the Ask Lou Reed board are any indication, his book would have been a disaster. (though I think he was writing at a higher level--and had more energy--back in the 80s.)
[loureed.com]

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: March 27, 2008 17:05

tatters
One more Lou Reed story and then I gotta go to work.

In December 1986 I was working at a publishing company in New York and one day one of the girls who worked there came over to my desk and said "Lou Reed is sitting in our lobby." I peeked around the corner and sure enough, Lou Reed WAS sitting in our lobby. I had already been a huge fan of his for about five years at that point, but this was the first time I'd ever seen him in person, and it was on MY turf!

Turns out Lou had an appointment to see the managing editor and the owner of the company. He was visiting different publishers, shopping around a manuscript for a book that was going to be called Lou Reed's New York. It was going to be a book of short stories, "little vignettes" is how he described it, about life in the big city, because, after all, who would know more about that than Lou Reed, the ultimate New Yorker.

When the managing editor asked to see some samples of these "little vignettes", Lou informed him that he did not have anything to show him. What's more, Lou said, he had absolutely no intention of "auditioning" for us. Basically, he wanted us to buy the book sight unseen!

Needless to say, things didn't really work out. But everyone agreed that Lou was a very nice man. He even brought with him that day a box of free records for everyone who worked in the office to take home and enjoy. There were several copies of each of his three most recent studio albums, The Blue Mask, New Sensations, and Mistrial. All on horribly warped viynl.

At one point during his visit, my friend came back over to my desk and said "If you want to talk to Lou, he just went into the men's room". I replied that I wasn't about to follow ANY man into a freakin' men's room no matter how much I admired his music. It took about 30 seconds for me to drop my cool New York attitude.

Lou and I had a brief conversation in the bathroom.

Great story, tatters. Say, your name isn't from the same song on Ecstasy is it?

I met Lou at the Albert Hall in 2000. He came out to sign autographs after the show. He signed my copy of Ecstasy and I introduced him to my girlfriend (then fiancee), who told him we were going to get married the following year, but that I was getting cold feet because of the album. He laughed at that, winked at her and said: "It won't be the first time I've broken up a marriage".

He was smoking then. One of the fans said "Lou, I thought you'd quit". He suddenly lost his good demeanour, looked at the guy really hard and snapped: "The f.uck are you? My mother?"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-03-27 17:05 by Nikolai.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: March 28, 2008 01:34

Greenblues
tatters
One more Lou Reed story and then I gotta go to work. (...)

Wow tatters, that's a good one and I think it captures Lou perfectly (at least to my red up knowledge). What did you tell him? And what did Lou answer? "F... off"?

tatters: Hey, how's it going?
Lou: Okay
tatters: Are we gonna do a book for you?
Lou: I don't know. Maybe.
tatters: I hope so. Take care of yourself.

Note that I said "Are WE gonna do a book for YOU". I deliberately phrased it that way so he would know that in my opinion at least, HE would be doing US the favor, and not the other way around. See, I KNEW that the higher-ups in the company that he had just met with had no idea who he was. I mean, they knew who he was, but they didn't REALLY know who he was. They knew Walk On The Wild Side, but these weren't the sort of people who had ever listened to Berlin, let alone listened to Berlin and LIKED it. I just wanted Lou to know that there were a few hip young people working there who REALLY knew who he was and would have considered it a tremendous honor to work on his book in any capacity whatsoever, even if it would have been just to go through it and make sure all the apostrophes were in the right places.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-03-28 01:50 by tatters.

Date: March 28, 2008 01:48

tatters: great story! do you mind if I post it on the Lou Reed Forum? [www.loureedforum.com] (not as my own experience, of course!)

and if Lou Reed's "vignette"-style answers on the Ask Lou Reed board are any indication, his book would have been a disaster. (though I think he was writing at a higher level--and had more energy--back in the 80s.)
[loureed.com][/quote]

Sure. Go ahead.

I think it provides some interesting background into his creative process. As we now know, he never did write that book, but there's no doubt that many of the ideas he had swirling around in his head in 1986, which were originally intended to appear in book form, did in fact come to fruition in 1989 on the New York album.

Another publishing company, Hyperion, eventually did publish a book called Between Thought And Expression: Selected Lyrics Of Lou Reed, in 1991.

Date: March 28, 2008 02:08

Nikolai
tatters
One more Lou Reed story and then I gotta go to work.

In December 1986 I was working at a publishing company in New York and one day one of the girls who worked there came over to my desk and said "Lou Reed is sitting in our lobby." I peeked around the corner and sure enough, Lou Reed WAS sitting in our lobby. I had already been a huge fan of his for about five years at that point, but this was the first time I'd ever seen him in person, and it was on MY turf!

Turns out Lou had an appointment to see the managing editor and the owner of the company. He was visiting different publishers, shopping around a manuscript for a book that was going to be called Lou Reed's New York. It was going to be a book of short stories, "little vignettes" is how he described it, about life in the big city, because, after all, who would know more about that than Lou Reed, the ultimate New Yorker.

When the managing editor asked to see some samples of these "little vignettes", Lou informed him that he did not have anything to show him. What's more, Lou said, he had absolutely no intention of "auditioning" for us. Basically, he wanted us to buy the book sight unseen!

Needless to say, things didn't really work out. But everyone agreed that Lou was a very nice man. He even brought with him that day a box of free records for everyone who worked in the office to take home and enjoy. There were several copies of each of his three most recent studio albums, The Blue Mask, New Sensations, and Mistrial. All on horribly warped viynl.

At one point during his visit, my friend came back over to my desk and said "If you want to talk to Lou, he just went into the men's room". I replied that I wasn't about to follow ANY man into a freakin' men's room no matter how much I admired his music. It took about 30 seconds for me to drop my cool New York attitude.

Great story, tatters. Say, your name isn't from the same song on Ecstasy is it?

I met Lou at the Albert Hall in 2000. He came out to sign autographs after the show. He signed my copy of Ecstasy and I introduced him to my girlfriend (then fiancee), who told him we were going to get married the following year, but that I was getting cold feet because of the album. He laughed at that, winked at her and said: "It won't be the first time I've broken up a marriage".

He was smoking then. One of the fans said "Lou, I thought you'd quit". He suddenly lost his good demeanour, looked at the guy really hard and snapped: "The f.uck are you? My mother?"

Tatters comes from the song Shattered, but it's also an actual nickname. Some of my friends started calling me that in the summer of 1978 when Some Girls was in heavy, and I mean HEAVY rotation on my 1970 Chevy Nova's cassette deck.

Lou probably talks to a lot of fans who express their concerns about his health and his habits and I'm sure that could get on anybody's nerves after a while, but he shouldn't have snapped at the guy. Probably just a fan who wants Lou to stick around for a while and smoking greatly reduces the likelihood of that. He meant well.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: March 28, 2008 09:07

>I did see two of the four Songs For Drella concerts that Reed and Cale played at the Brooklyn Academy Of Music in December 1989, and I can tell you the atmosphere at THOSE concerts was a little odd

I was at one of those shows (it was '88 though, not '89). I think it was so solemn because it was like a requiem for Andy and it was in a former church. (the same venue Marianne's BLAZING AWAY video was filmed incidentally).

Date: March 28, 2008 09:32

Glam Descendant
>I did see two of the four Songs For Drella concerts that Reed and Cale played at the Brooklyn Academy Of Music in December 1989, and I can tell you the atmosphere at THOSE concerts was a little odd

I was at one of those shows (it was '88 though, not '89). I think it was so solemn because it was like a requiem for Andy and it was in a former church. (the same venue Marianne's BLAZING AWAY video was filmed incidentally).

the album songs from drella was released in 1990 so when did he tour for it? new york was the album released in 1989

Date: March 28, 2008 09:37

Right. NEW YORK was released in the fall of '89. Reed & Cale premiered SONGS FOR DRELLA that December in an unfinished state at BAM. Lou toured NEW YORK in early '89 (I saw that show in a theatre off Broadway, *after* I saw the DRELLA material) then the album/CD SONGS FOR DRELLA was released in '90. So there was an overlap there which is easily confusing in terms of a timeline.

Date: March 28, 2008 09:38

Glam Descendant
Right. NEW YORK was released in the fall of '89. Reed & Cale premiered SONGS FOR DRELLA that December in an unfinished state at BAM. Lou toured NEW YORK in early '89 (I saw that show in a theatre off Broadway, *after* I saw the DRELLA material) then the album/CD SONGS FOR DRELLA was released in '90. So there was an overlap there which is easily confusing in terms of a timeline.

well i saw someone mention the years 1988 so i got all confussed as theres no way he did anything in '88 with drella

Date: March 28, 2008 16:02

Glam Descendant

Songs for Drella was performed six times. They did two "work in progress" shows at St Ann's (can't remember the exact dates, but it was sometime in '89) then they did four performances of the "finished work" at the Brooklyn Academy of Music, Nov. 29-30, and Dec. 2-3, 1989. I was at the last two shows. And your right, St. Ann's is also where Marianne did her Blazing Away shows, right around the same time Lou and John were playing at BAM.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-03-29 01:07 by tatters.

Date: March 28, 2008 16:07

Glam Descendant

New York was released either at the very end of 1988 or the very beginning of 1989. The Songs for Drella CD and VHS was released in April 1990. The VHS is a live performance with no audience that was filmed at BAM a few days after they completed the four public performances.

Date: March 28, 2008 16:13

Something you may not know about the Songs For Drella performances is that on the final night, December 3, 1989, there was an encore. Moe Tucker walked onstage, and the three of them sang "Pale Blue Eyes". That was the closest we got to seeing a Velvet Underground reunion in New York.

Date: March 28, 2008 19:59

I saw one of the two trial runs and it was definitely Dec. '88 -- I had just moved to Manhattan and saw Keith in NJ that same month. However NY was already out, I was wrong about that. I'll see if I can find a Lou database for the exact date I saw.

Date: March 28, 2008 20:07

Looks like the St. Ann's shows were Jan. '89, not Dec. '88 -- I was off by a few weeks. Sorry for the confusion!

They performed it Jan. 7 & 8; I saw the latter.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-03-28 20:11 by Glam Descendant.

Date: March 28, 2008 20:14

tatters
The VHS is a live performance with no audience that was filmed at BAM a few days after they completed the four public performances.

fyi, the film--I assume the same as the VHS, which is highly praised--will be screened at BAM this spring, in May, I believe.

Posted by: humanriff77 ()
Date: March 28, 2008 20:14

Lou's a genius, but I saw an outtake of a recent Berlin show on TV, very weak, especially his voice, like on mogadon.
Better check out the DVD Live at Montreux 2000, from the great Ecstacy tour that was still rock n roll. I was at that show, many people walked out because of the awesome guitar firestorm, they were expecting "singer/songwriter" evening. Football great Karl Heinz Rummenigge was standing next to me in a suit and tie, needless to say he didnt stay for the whole gig smiling smiley

Date: March 28, 2008 20:21

yeah, the Rockpalast Düsseldorf show from 2000 is amazing, too, "Riptide" in particular.

Posted by: Nanker Phlegm ()
Date: March 28, 2008 20:29

Never had the fortune or (misfortune) to meet Lou, but have been a fans since "Walk on The Wild Side" and the Velvets became a long term love not long after.
Saw the reformed VUs at their first re-union gig at the Town & Country (now the Forum). They didn't disappoint Along with the Pixies a re-union that was worthwhile. Lou's solo stuff is a bit patchy and I'm still waiting for something as good as New York, his last GREAT (not just good) album IMHO.

Date: March 28, 2008 21:08

I don't quite get all the love for New York (the album)... it's good, but I enjoy most of his 70s work much more, not to mention his early 80s albums, The Blue Mask and Legendary Hearts, which are 2 of the best by anyone, IMO. And Magic & Loss and Songs for Drella are also better in their own ways, though maybe not cut-for-cut.

Posted by: aslecs ()
Date: March 28, 2008 21:43

Save your money!

Posted by: Nanker Phlegm ()
Date: March 28, 2008 23:33

cc
I don't quite get all the love for New York (the album)... it's good, but I enjoy most of his 70s work much more, not to mention his early 80s albums, The Blue Mask and Legendary Hearts, which are 2 of the best by anyone, IMO. And Magic & Loss and Songs for Drella are also better in their own ways, though maybe not cut-for-cut.

Know what you mean about New York, what i meant was that it was the last Lou album that i really liked and got repeated plays (to death in fact) Drella was also very good but as much for cale's input as Lou's. as For Magic & Loss ? well it did its job too well, so depressing, if i want depressing Lou, i'll go and listen to Berlin, and i aint planning to do that.

Now The Velvets, still love those 4 albums and live '69 now theres a live album.

Date: March 29, 2008 01:11

Glam Descendant
Looks like the St. Ann's shows were Jan. '89, not Dec. '88 -- I was off by a few weeks. Sorry for the confusion!

They performed it Jan. 7 & 8; I saw the latter.

That's interesting. I hadn't realized there was such a long gap (almost a year) between St Ann's and BAM. So how were the St Ann's performances? How unfinished was it? Were there major differences between what you heard at St Ann's and what you heard on the CD?

Date: March 29, 2008 01:21

I have a question about the New York album. Is that Cale's viola, uncredited, at the end of Dime Store Mystery? I don't remember any viola being credited in the album's sleeve notes, but if Lou and John hooked up at Andy's funeral in '87, and worked on Songs For Drella together in '88, then certainly they were on good enough terms at the time that Lou might have brought John in to guest on his solo album. And that track definitely has a very strong VU feel to it, more so, in fact, than anything on Songs For Drella.

Date: March 29, 2008 03:12

I have one of the St. Ann's shows, Jan. 7, digitized from vinyl, and I don't recall significant differences. Probably this one. [www.xs4all.nl]
which says Reed sings "Faces and Names." There are no missing songs.

For "Dime Store Mystery," I think you're talking about the string bass, which is bowed by Rob Wasserman.

Date: March 29, 2008 05:27

cc

the love for new york is its one of his last good albums

Date: March 29, 2008 06:12

>Were there major differences between what you heard at St Ann's and what you heard on the CD?

The only major differences is they added a new song at BAM they didn't play at St. Ann's: "A Dream"; and as cc noted, Reed sang "Faces And Names" which Cale sang during later performances and on the CD.

Here's an article from the NY Times one day prior to the first performance in Jan. '89:

[query.nytimes.com]

And this closing statement leads me to the conclusion that I in fact saw the first performance, not the second, because it was definitely night time:

"Performances at the Church of St. Ann and the Holy Trinity are at 8 P.M. tomorrow and at 4 P.M. Sunday."

Date: March 29, 2008 15:05

Glam Descendant

The only major differences is they added a new song at BAM they didn't play at St. Ann's: "A Dream"; and as cc noted, Reed sang "Faces And Names" which Cale sang during later performances and on the CD.

At the BAM shows, when they opened the doors and let us take our seats, the music that was playing over the PA, and continued playing right up until showtime, was an early, instrumental recording of A Dream. Just Lou's guitar, no vocals. I especially enjoyed seeing Lou perform that song during his 1992 Magic and Loss shows because it was John who did the vocals at BAM and on the record. Lou's solo version was more powerful, more evocative of the Velvets, I thought.

Did you say you also saw Marianne Faithfull's Blazing Away show at St. Ann's? I tried, at the last minute, to get tickets for that, but it was sold out. I settled instead for tickets to see her perform "The Seven Deadly Sins", also at St. Ann's, two weeks later, a week after the Drella shows.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-03-29 15:08 by tatters.

Date: March 29, 2008 21:02

keefriffhard4life

the love for new york is its one of his last good albums

but what makes it such a "good" album? The songwriting style is not much different from any record he's ever made, though it was much ballyhooed at the time as a return to the VU sound. Yes, he ditched the 80s production touches that he like many 60s rockers had fallen into during the decade. But Set the Twilight Reeling (recorded live in the studio) and Ecstasy also have VU-style arrangements and about as many songs I would call "good" as New York. I don't get it.

Posted by: ShaTurd ()
Date: March 30, 2008 04:37

Hey Keefriffhard4life-

How do you get tix for the Richmond show? Lou sold out up here in DC, and the ticket guy said he didn't anything about a Richmond show. He said he could set me up in Durham though. Thanks.

Date: March 30, 2008 04:51

ShaTurd
Hey Keefriffhard4life-

How do you get tix for the Richmond show? Lou sold out up here in DC, and the ticket guy said he didn't anything about a Richmond show. He said he could set me up in Durham though. Thanks.

ticketmaster unless its sold out

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1838
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home