Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: DAVID LYNCH'S Brilliant LOST HIGHWAY finally out today on DVD
Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: March 25, 2008 15:11

Surprisingly, David Lynch's amazing film LOST HIGHWAY has never been properly/officially released in the USA on DVD until today, over 10 years after it's debut in 1997. One of his best, if you haven't seen it you must. Here's some clips:

LOST HIGHWAY TRAILER

ANDY'S PARTY WITH THE MYSTERY MAN (A.K.A.THE DEMON)

What are your 3 favorite David Lynch films? Here's the list:

ERASERHEAD
ELEPHANT MAN
DUNE
BLUE VELVET
WILD AT HEART
LOST HIGHWAY
TWIN PEAKS
FIRE WALK WITH ME
THE STRAIGHT STORY
MULHOLLAND DRIVE
INLAND EMPIRE

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-03-26 03:06 by HelterSkelter.

Re: OT: DAVID LYNCH'S Brilliant LOST HIGHWAY finally out today on DVD
Posted by: stonesrick ()
Date: March 25, 2008 15:18

1. Blue velevet
2. Mulholland Drive
3. Twin Peaks

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: March 25, 2008 15:23

1. Twin Peaks
2. Wild at Heart
3. Mulholland Drive.

Robert Blake in Lost Highway scared the CRAP out of me!!!

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: March 25, 2008 15:26

Blue Velvet
Mulholland Drive
Eraserhead

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: March 25, 2008 15:32

Wild At Heart
Blue Velvet
Mulholland Drive

(and I was addicted to that quirky TV show Twin Peaks back in 1990, 1991)

Date: March 25, 2008 15:42

CindyC
1. Twin Peaks
2. Wild at Heart
3. Mulholland Drive.

Yes Ma'am Dear C C, I agree, Lynch pulled off a brilliant casting move with BLAKE - same with DENNIS in BLUE VELVET.....

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: March 25, 2008 15:43

Mulholland Drive
Lost Highway
Fire Walk With Me

Posted by: Tseverin ()
Date: March 25, 2008 16:18

Eraserhead
Blue Velvet
Lost Highway

The original pilot of Twin Peaks with a different ending is also a contender.

Wonder why Lost Highway didn't come out earlier in the US, I've had my Pal dvd for years. As you are obviously a fan Helter, what is your take on Inland Empire out of interest?

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: March 25, 2008 17:32

Lost Highway's a masterpiece. It came out as a remastered, special edition DVD in the UK last year. There was talk of a two DVD set with deleted scenes, but Lynch wanted a million dollars from Canal Plus to do it and they said no. Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me is in similar limbo.

Three favourite Lynch films are:

Lost Highway
Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me
Blue Velvet

Then ...

Mulholland Drive
The Straight Story
Wild At Heart
Eraserhead

I was disappointed with Inland Empire.
Inland Empire

Date: March 25, 2008 17:34

Yeah Tseverin, I have the double deluxe "Inland Empire" DVD and, well.... when I got it from AMAZON way back I really got into the "making of" special (on disc 2) of watching Lynch work (was surprised how often he got on the edge/bitchy cause I heard from some one that worked closely with him on TWIN PEAKS (the TV show part, not movie) that he was just Mr. MELLOW all the time. Anyway, when I tried to watch the film it wasn't clicking for me.... it's 3 hours long AND this was the first time I didn't see it in a theater first (watching it on the home theater set up which obviously doesn't have the impact of a pro theater).... so it's still waiting in the box to get thumbs up or down, I've had that problem lately, getting into films at home. Love CHILDREN OF MEN, FINALLY got into BLOOD DIAMOND and love SYRIANA (and can follow the whole damn thing - that takes a few viewings). GOOD SHEPHERD is taking time as is that Clooney movie "Michael Clayton". I will be in the right mood to watch Inland Empire soon, as soon as we have a couple heavy rainy days - SPRING SHOWERS and all that.... What did you think of it??? (in reality I've heard VERY LITTLE about it from initial film to DVD release - this one kinda flew under the radar it seems)

Date: March 25, 2008 18:11

Helter, I saw Inland Empire at the cinema in London. the first half hour or so is fairly cohesive (ok, there are the talking rabbits, but what are a few of those in Lynch films, right?), then it goes off into a very wild, seemingly random terrain of tenuously connected sequences. It's hard to actually like the film, let alone love it. The end credit sequence is superb though.

The DVD doesn't have any individual chapters. The US DVD transfer is better than the European one, but the European DVD has a whole hour of deleted scenes, sequenced without chapters, like the main film. It's like a separate film.

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: March 25, 2008 18:22

HelterSkelter
Surprisingly, David Lynch's amazing film LOST HIGHWAY has never been properly/officially released in the USA on DVD until today, over 10 years after it's debut in 1997.

(...)

What are your 3 favorite David Lynch films?

POOR Americans!! Nice thing that they finally released it!

My Lynch Top 3 (hard choice!):

Lost Highway
Twin Peaks
The Straight Story

AND Elephant Man, AND Mullholland Drive AND...Shit - love them all!

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: March 25, 2008 18:31

Nikolai
Lost Highway's a masterpiece. It came out as a remastered, special edition DVD in the UK last year. There was talk of a two DVD set with deleted scenes, but Lynch wanted a million dollars from Canal Plus to do it and they said no. Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me is in similar limbo.

(...)

The first version of Wild at Heart here in Germany had the deleted "Totem Pole" sequence as a bounus. There were big piles of it in the shops, so I waited a little to long. When I finally decided to buy it, they had deleted the title temporarily. Now it's been re-released as a "Collector's Edition" but ironically without the extra sequence (!)

Maybe they feared it would be banned for the 16 year olds...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-03-25 18:35 by Greenblues.

Posted by: Tseverin ()
Date: March 25, 2008 20:38

Hi Helter, think I basically agree with Nikolai. Great cinematography (especially considering it was all shot on digital video), great sound design as usual, great acting & brilliant scenes of sinister unbridled weirdness BUT... it's like a dream within a dream within a nightmare within a comedy sketch within a film noir within a dream. I'm a big fan of Lynch when the reality is gently twisted into the surreal or abstract but there's just not enough reality to ground it all & after 3 hours it really is hard to care what's happening, let alone understand it. I wouldn't write it off though; I can imagine seeing it again under different circumstances in a few years and loving it.

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: March 25, 2008 21:00

HelterSkelter
CindyC
1. Twin Peaks
2. Wild at Heart
3. Mulholland Drive.

Yes Ma'am Dear C C, I agree, Lynch pulled off a brilliant casting move with BLAKE - same with DENNIS in BLUE VELVET.....

...and Willem Dafoe in "Wild At heart"

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: March 25, 2008 21:48

Lukester - did you ever see Boondock Saints? Willem D is hilarious in that one!

Posted by: WMiller ()
Date: March 25, 2008 22:19

I've only seen four of his films (counting the Twin Peaks series as a film) and liked them all. Ranking the four that I've seen...

(tie)Twin Peaks/Mulholland Drive
WILD AT HEART
ELEPHANT MAN (though it was so long ago it deserves a re-watch)

Posted by: yorkshirestone ()
Date: March 25, 2008 22:26

Mulholland
Twin Peaks
Blue Velvet

lost highway gave me headache thinking about it. Amazingly, it's been out on DVD in the UK for years

Date: March 26, 2008 01:21

Greenblues
Nikolai

(...)

The first version of Wild at Heart here in Germany had the deleted "Totem Pole" sequence as a bounus. There were big piles of it in the shops, so I waited a little to long. When I finally decided to buy it, they had deleted the title temporarily. Now it's been re-released as a "Collector's Edition" but ironically without the extra sequence (!)

Maybe they feared it would be banned for the 16 year olds...

I didn't know that. Hits Ebay now ....

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: March 26, 2008 06:22

>The US DVD transfer is better than the European one, but the European DVD has a whole hour of deleted scenes, sequenced without chapters, like the main film. It's like a separate film.

The US DVD has @ 75" of deleted scenes (including an incredible Laura Dern monologue that's @ 15" and funnier than anything in the finished film).

Looks like I'm in the minority -- I thought IE was amazing.

Date: March 26, 2008 10:18

Glam Descendant
>The US DVD transfer is better than the European one, but the European DVD has a whole hour of deleted scenes, sequenced without chapters, like the main film. It's like a separate film.

The US DVD has @ 75" of deleted scenes (including an incredible Laura Dern monologue that's @ 15" and funnier than anything in the finished film).

Looks like I'm in the minority -- I thought IE was amazing.

Ok, I got them the wrong way round then.smileys with beer

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: March 26, 2008 10:39

Gee... Only three? I saw all his movies and the only I didn't like was Dune. The rest was superb. But, let's see... If I had to choose only three that would be:

1. Eraserhead for sure - one of my favourite films ever!
2. Lost Highway - dark, disturbing yet fascinating.
3. Now, I got to make a choice. Either INLAND EMPIRE (yes, great but heavy movie) or The Elephant Man (no need for comments) or Straight Story (so beautiful, one wouldn't expect that Lynch could make a movie like this, but he managed to, and it's great). OK, I'll choose Straight Story for it's beauty and warmth, but if you asked me again I could change my mind winking smiley

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: March 26, 2008 11:48

it's hard to choose only three

inland
velvet
eraser

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: March 26, 2008 11:49

The soundtrack is surely one of my fav's records of all time.
it has every music style. Wonderful Bowie's voice, Ramstein at his best, Reed, Badalamenti (wouah), Carlos Jobim, Adamson (hollywood sunset, wouah again !! listen to the bass...)

the movie was a shock at the time. I came out of the theater with a special feeling, hit in the face.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-03-26 11:49 by toomuchforme.

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: March 26, 2008 12:06

Straight Story
Elephant Man
Mullholland Drive

If he'd only made those three he'd still be one of the greatest filmakers ever (imo)

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: March 26, 2008 13:39

Lost Highway is for the die hard fans, not really a great movie, but I love it. Mulholland is better and Velvet too. Eraserhead is great.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1459
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home