Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: the most perfect Stones gig EVER
Posted by: ERC6761 ()
Date: March 25, 2008 16:04

Enmore 2003, also into the bargain the ACDC boys on stage, seriously was seriously good, i know yoy all enjoyed other shows but this was best ever

Posted by: rattler2004 ()
Date: March 25, 2008 17:16

stoneskris
AUSTIN, TEXAS for me!

Austin is the perfect city and the show was fabulous!

Plus, I'm in the DVD!

Kris

That was a special....warm October evening...great city, great people and great show....actually was a great week for me...saw The Black Crowes in San Antonio a few days latter....

still regret not picking up one of those Stones-bevo event shirts.....c'mon offical website store how about the Austin event t-shirt already!?!?!

the shoot 'em dead, brainbell jangler!

Posted by: TE ()
Date: March 26, 2008 03:18

MSG (any time)
Cirkus Krone, Munich (Licks)
Paris always works out well.

If they get around again, I have a dream list like Argentina and so on, And no one will stop me from going to Calcutta etc (hmm, maybe my girlfriend).

TE
Oslo

Posted by: Lazy Bones ()
Date: March 26, 2008 03:24

i'll add, among others, tokyo: 26/2/90

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: March 26, 2008 03:36

Lazy Bones

The Tokyo Boot, "Cold Steel Blue", certainly offers one of the most interesting setlists in the live history of the band.

These four, just after Keith's mini-set, offer an encapsulation of the transitions from 1966-69:

"Paint It Black"
"2000 Light Years From Home"
"Sympathy For The Devil"
"Gimme Shelter"

That bit of chronology was oh so cool.

Posted by: Lazy Bones ()
Date: March 26, 2008 04:55

bassplayer617
Lazy Bones

The Tokyo Boot, "Cold Steel Blue", certainly offers one of the most interesting setlists in the live history of the band.

...CSB is the title that formed my appreciation for this show.

Posted by: martingo ()
Date: March 26, 2008 13:52

clemson, SC 1989

coupla flashpoint tunes come from that show

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: March 26, 2008 16:53

I will second 7/26/72. It was the peak of the peak period. The band was backing its greatest recordings. The setlist was current and strong top to bottom, the musicianship fabulous. They were still living the music. Wonderful JJF, BBJ and LIV. The quintessential performance of ADTL.

The '73 Australian tour was ferocious and the '69 tour is my favorite, but if I had to pick the quintessential Stones show that MSG show, as a whole, meets the criteria.

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: March 26, 2008 19:32

I wouldn't want to pick one gig and call it the greatest, and even if I did, it wouldn't be that '03 MSG show.

I feel they were at their absolute peak in '72/'73 so obviously, I'd pick some of their best gigs from those years like Charlotte 7/6/72, Akron 7/11/72, Philadelphia 7/20/71, Philadelphia 7/21/72 1st show, New York 7/26/72, Sydney 2/26/73, Wembley 9/8/73 1st show, Wembley 9/9/73, Brussels 10/17/73 1st show, etc...

I'm sure there are more great performances from the '73 Winter and '73 European tours but I haven't listened to them lately. I have recently listened to each and every '72 show that I have (a personal project) and I'd chose those mentioned above as the best performances.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: March 26, 2008 19:39

Paris/Olympia 2003. Vredenburg/Utrecht 2003.
Bercy/Paris 2003. Stade de France/Paris 2006/2007.
ArenA/Amsterdam 1998 (IV). Giants Stadium, NJ, 1997 (II)
Stuttgart, 1999. Sports Hall/Prag, 1998.
Paris I (heat) + Paris II (rain) 1995. East Berlin I, 1990.

To name but a few...

Posted by: peter wilson ()
Date: March 26, 2008 19:48

last show on the continental North America ABB tour

Vancouver, BC, Canada

Ronnie Wood later said several months after (I think it was in in Mojo or Uncut magazine) that it was the best show that they have ever played (since he joined that is)

and being a bit of a judge on the matter, they certainly blew me away

Posted by: David Neal ()
Date: March 26, 2008 20:55

ALL MSG shows since '81....Beacon 2 London 2 last yr

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: March 26, 2008 23:33

OKC 99 kicked major buttocks!!

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: March 27, 2008 05:28

from personal experience:

beacon 2

Roseland

plus this one: [www.iorr.org] as it was early in the tour so many of the songs that got played often were fairly new at the time (Loving Cup, Mannish Boy, Can't you hear me...)

and finally: [www.iorr.org]
with the blues version of 19th Nervous Breakdown and a few songs from Bigger Bang before they gave up playing them

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: March 27, 2008 05:38

Oakland Opening night No Security Tour.

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: March 27, 2008 11:43

Tumblin_Dice_07
I have recently listened to each and every '72 show that I have (a personal project) and I'd chose those mentioned above as the best performances.

What's the purpose of your personal project? A compilation? Or is it just out of sheer interest in the music? I often regret the fact that there's not enough time anymore to really compare all those recordings back to back. It's more like a whine cellar nowadays. You open the door from time to time, sweep the dust off a particular bottle and taste the sweet taste...

Posted by: Tumblin_Dice_07 ()
Date: March 27, 2008 22:53

Greenblues

What's the purpose of your personal project? A compilation? Or is it just out of sheer interest in the music? I often regret the fact that there's not enough time anymore to really compare all those recordings back to back. It's more like a whine cellar nowadays. You open the door from time to time, sweep the dust off a particular bottle and taste the sweet taste...

I suppose it's just mainly out of interest in the music. I may wind up making some compilations but mainly, I wanted to listen to these shows in the order they were played and get a feel for how the music flowed over the course of the '72/'73 tours. I've been giving each show at least one good listening and then taking down some notes about each performance and the sound quality of the recording. I did this last year with the '73 Winter Tour but this time I decided to be a bit more ambitious. I wanted to go through all my '72/'73 recordings from Vancouver 6/3/72 through Berlin 10/19/73 and sort of chart the quality of the performances. Right now, I'm nearing the conclusion of the '72 American tour, just started listening to the 7/24/72 New York show.

So far I've been giving approximate rankings for the shows, for performance and for sound quality. I suppose in the end, all I may have is the knowledge and general idea of how the band's live sound evolved over the course of those two years, but attaining knowledge is the fun part.

Posted by: Keef Rider ()
Date: March 27, 2008 22:57

No doubts gays: the next one! smileys with beer

Posted by: phd ()
Date: March 28, 2008 00:02

Personnal experience :

Brussels 1973, Wembley 1999 ( both shows )

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: March 28, 2008 01:47

Tumblin_Dice_07
Greenblues

I suppose it's just mainly out of interest in the music. I may wind up making some compilations but mainly, I wanted to listen to these shows in the order they were played and get a feel for how the music flowed over the course of the '72/'73 tours. I've been giving each show at least one good listening and then taking down some notes about each performance and the sound quality of the recording. I did this last year with the '73 Winter Tour but this time I decided to be a bit more ambitious. I wanted to go through all my '72/'73 recordings from Vancouver 6/3/72 through Berlin 10/19/73 and sort of chart the quality of the performances. Right now, I'm nearing the conclusion of the '72 American tour, just started listening to the 7/24/72 New York show.

So far I've been giving approximate rankings for the shows, for performance and for sound quality. I suppose in the end, all I may have is the knowledge and general idea of how the band's live sound evolved over the course of those two years, but attaining knowledge is the fun part.

I would find "projects" like these very interesting!

Did it myself some years ago with part of my boots but unfortunately lost my notes.
Perhaps I'll do it again. Would be great if different peopple would analyze diff. tours' gigs and finally bring it all together.

Particularly during the last few tours when downloading pushed away bootlegs I lost control over recorded gigs and which were the best.

Personally I prefer the 69 tour!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-03-28 01:49 by CousinC.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1531
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home