Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
A New Keith Richards Interview
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: March 21, 2008 00:26

Sorry, if this is posted before, but here it goes: a fresh, and quite personal sounding interview of Keith Richards. Talks about Mick, Anita, Brian, getting old, grandkids, death, having a bus pass for England...

[men.style.com]

- Doxa

Re: A New Keith Richards Interview
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 21, 2008 01:09

Hey thanks Doxa that's a crash-hot interview....Cool up
ta see Angie get a mention and that Vicks Vapour Rub piece...
I mean like how low did they go ...That stuff can heat up a dead man...YEAH!!!

FANKS!! again Doxa for the link to some laughs.....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: March 21, 2008 01:23

nice - thanks for posting it, Doxa

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: March 21, 2008 01:29

great thanks

this is beautiful

"You—Keith Richards—would call your mother in those dark moments?
If it was bad, I would, yeah. Just to let her know. But unfortunately she didn’t live. [pause] Me mum, that’s another thing, man. [Gets choked up] I went… I went… We knew me mum was going, and so my daughter Angela says, “Dad, take the guitar out. Play to her. Go into her room.” So I went up there and sat on the hospital bed and played my best. And she’s out on morphine, anyway, unconscious. And I played the old songs, the old dance-hall songs. The next morning, she came out of her sleep for a moment, and my daughter was there and asked her, “Did you hear Daddy play for you last night?” And me mum says, “Yeah, he was out of tune.” [laughs] So let’s put it that way—my family is… There’s never a giving moment."

Posted by: RollingStonesFan ()
Date: March 21, 2008 01:30

Woooooooow! Great interview. Thanks for sharing!
It must have been pretty funny for the reporter interviewing Keith...

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: March 21, 2008 01:44

"Cheese is very wrong." LOL!

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: March 21, 2008 02:03

Thanks for putting it up here, Doxa.

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: March 21, 2008 02:09

Cool - thanks, Doxa.

Posted by: sarahunwin ()
Date: March 21, 2008 02:32

thanks, great reading.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 21, 2008 03:03

best keith interview in some time. Very funny and quite poignant too,

I fully expect the tabloids to have a field day in distorting his off the cuff remark about L'wren into some "Stones fall out - Mick rages at Keith for ridiculing his girlfriend" bollocks which no doubt some fans will take at face value.

Posted by: Jochem ()
Date: March 21, 2008 03:42

'one can say Angie, but that is.....'

I wish he had finished that comment about Angie, anyway good to know it is his fav lovetune to play himself also. Maybe he wanted to say 'but that was written for my baby' so is not one for the ladies
how interesting.
Jochem

Posted by: cc ()
Date: March 21, 2008 04:01

I think he meant to retract "Angie" after suggesting it, like he suggested it first only because it's so well known.

can you believe how blunt this interviewer is?
"Did you want to smack him?"
do you think he was trying to goad keith into saying something "controversial"? Or just trying to be sure readers knew they were reading a men's magazine?

Date: March 21, 2008 04:14

some very personal questions yes, the question about burying a baby was indeed blunt, especially with Keith swinging that knife lol
but some very rare openess from Keith here
anyway I like to beleve Keith is proud of the music he wrote for Angie as it is a very sensitive and personal touch and written at the height of his musical form, just because it is so well known does not make it less excellent
Jochem

Date: March 21, 2008 04:37

Jochem
just because it is so well known does not make it less excellent

true, and I like "Angie," but that was how I interpreted keith's comment. He seemed more satisfied to mention the other 2, more recent songs. But one problem with a transcribed interview is that a lot of the implied meanings are left unclear.

Posted by: chelskeith ()
Date: March 21, 2008 05:02

Another classic Keith quote when discussing Mick's "gayness".

Date: March 21, 2008 05:16

it was all just 'camp' he never got it up the....
I wonder what Mick thinks when he reads that, actually Mick leaving fans guessing is part of his brilliant act.
I guess Keith in his own way is defending his lifetime buddy here
Brilliant interview actually

Date: March 21, 2008 12:03

>> do you think he was trying to goad Keith into saying something "controversial"? <<

hm - no, i don't get that impression really. on the other hand the questions actually asked
are often not included in what gets printed - like that NME dude last year leaving out the fact
that he'd explicity asked "what's the strangest thing you ever snorted" - so who knows.
but either way this is a mighty fine interview. it's such a joy when an interviewer is tuned-in enough
to get the proceedings out of "soundbite mode"

Date: March 21, 2008 13:17

I think it is a good interview - not probably about music, but about 'real life' issues. I think the interviewer is braver than normally - he asks some questions Keith is not normally used to - and the effect is that Keith really starts reflecting some issues - not just goes to his usual stories (even though there are those too). There are few moments I wish the interviewer would have guts to ask some more questions, and would tried to push Keith a bit more further what he is thinking. Namely, there are some answers that leave the issue confused - the guy is trying to say something, but then stops or changes the subject... I think if this is the Keith Richards we are going to hear in his autobiography it will be a hell kind of book, I am sure about it.

What strikes me most was the way he handles the old personal affairs with Mick, Anita, and Brian - and he is proveked to that by quite smart questions. For a first time for a very long time I hear Keith talking about Brian like a close friend and a band mate of whom he cared very much. He shows that Brian's death still bothers him personally, and seemingly seems feeling a bit guilty about it. Interesting is his redescreption of the events that occurred when Anita left Brian and joined Keith - now the victim is Brian, who was rescued, not Anita the 'bitch'. Anyway, what happened between Mick and Anita during PERFORMANCE shootings, was not a small thing for him, even though he tries to hide it with the usual tactics of "I'm a cool guy, I dont' care, plus she was a bitch, anyway"...

But like always this interview shows that above all things it is the band that is most important for him personally - everything else seems to be secondary. This guy is one of the most imtersting guys in the world. And you never know what he says next...

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-03-21 13:18 by Doxa.

Posted by: Esperola ()
Date: March 21, 2008 13:38

It's cool that he has mentioned some things and discussed matters which he had not talked before (at least I have not seen it). Great article, thanks for posting the link!

"Rape, murder, it's just a shot away..."

Date: March 21, 2008 13:40

>> plus she was a bitch, anyway" <<

well ... i don't think Keith's use of "bitch" should be overinterpreted -
as noted last month after the Berlin press conference, Keith uses the term
with varying degrees of warmth, and it often just means about the same as "chick".
that's what it sounds like to me in this interview.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-03-21 13:42 by with sssoul.

Date: March 21, 2008 13:50

with sssoul
>> plus she was a bitch, anyway" <<

well ... i don't think Keith's use of "bitch" should be overinterpreted -
as noted last month after the Berlin press conference, Keith uses the term
with varying degrees of warmth, and it often just means about the same as "chick".
that's what it sounds like to me in this interview.

Yeah, that is true that Keef has a quite liberal way of using the word, like for example, Amy Winehouse knows, but I get the impression that in this particular interview Keith has the usual, quite nasty meaning in his mind - taking the context where he uses the word.

Would it be a nice idea to collect a Keith Richards dictionary? tongue sticking out smiley

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-03-21 13:51 by Doxa.

Posted by: Outtake ()
Date: March 21, 2008 14:10

You—Keith Richards—would call your mother in those dark moments?
If it was bad, I would, yeah. Just to let her know. But unfortunately she didn’t live. [pause] Me mum, that’s another thing, man. [Gets choked up] I went… I went… We knew me mum was going, and so my daughter Angela says, “Dad, take the guitar out. Play to her. Go into her room.” So I went up there and sat on the hospital bed and played my best. And she’s out on morphine, anyway, unconscious. And I played the old songs, the old dance-hall songs. The next morning, she came out of her sleep for a moment, and my daughter was there and asked her, “Did you hear Daddy play for you last night?” And me mum says, “Yeah, he was out of tune.” [laughs] So let’s put it that way—my family is… There’s never a giving moment

Nice

Posted by: mofur ()
Date: March 21, 2008 15:05

The best Keith Richards interview for at least 20 years - nice to see an interviewer daring to go where nobody else does smileys with beer

Posted by: filstan ()
Date: March 21, 2008 15:38

Really a wonderful interview! Thanks Doxa. While I worry about the negative aspects of Keith's drinking habits, he sure is a wonderful communicator and despite what many people think of him, he has a deep sensitive soul.

Posted by: oldkr ()
Date: March 21, 2008 16:23

i like the fact that jane rose is referred to as "an employee"

OLDKR

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: March 21, 2008 19:47

Fantastic interview - thanks for posting.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: March 21, 2008 19:52

I have purple Uggs too!!! I knew Keith and I were soul mates!

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: March 22, 2008 03:29

i was surprised to hear that he stole mick's women after the performance incident and that he didn't expect anita to be loyal. he seems so loyal to patti that i assumed it was just his way.

Date: March 22, 2008 06:51

little queenie
i was surprised to hear that he stole mick's women after the performance incident and that he didn't expect anita to be loyal. he seems so loyal to patti that i assumed it was just his way.

he notably doesn't give any examples though... I expect it's BS.

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: March 22, 2008 06:59

thanks for this..

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1459
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home