Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Bill Wyman, Mick Taylor and Chuck Berry Amsterdam Reviews
Posted by: barking paul ()
Date: March 19, 2008 19:51

Yes, I think we all had fun, both those on stage and those watching and listening, and the Rhythm Kings set the mood perfectly, playing a variety of musical styles to create a party like atmosphere, only to be followed by Chuck loosely playing numbers the crowd just wanted to hear (though personally I could have done without Ding-a-Ling).

Still in great voice, his playing ability has understandably deteriorated over the years. The much better than expected backing band, including his son covering up for the old fella from time to time, and a bass player that had been with him for the last 30 years made it an enjoyable 60 minutes of jukebox nostalgia.

Chuck seemed to be enjoying himself far more than when I last saw him a few years back. Maybe all concerts are this much fun at the Heineken Music Hall I don't know, but it's a great venue, holds around 5,000 I think, with crystal clear acoustics up in the balcony.

Overall rating: 8 (and a half) out of 10.

Posted by: coconuts ()
Date: March 20, 2008 16:08

Hi! We have just come back to Spain. We´re really enjoyed the show, as you can saw. My daugther was dancing on the stage, and she´ve got the setlits, the drumsticks,and the pick of Chuck Berry´s son.What a night!
Hope to hear from you again!!!!

Set list:
Roll Over Beethoven
School Days
Sweet Little Sixteen
Menphis
Wee wee Hours
Carol/Quennie
Around and Around
You Never Can tell
It Hurts me too
Let It rock
May Ding-a-Ling
Rock And Roll Mucic
Nadine
Johnny B. Good
Reelin´And Rockin

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: March 20, 2008 16:39

Hi coconuts. It was my pleasure meeting you and your daughter. Yes, we noticed how much fun she had on stage (it is visible in the youtube video). I am glad you enjoyed your coming to the Netherlands.

Posted by: texas fan ()
Date: March 20, 2008 18:04

jamesfdouglas
Jagger should join that band! Sheesh!!

Come on James. You know Mick is a flop without the Stones...

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 20, 2008 18:34

May Ding-a-Ling

As opposed to the other months? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: mrrockandroll ()
Date: March 20, 2008 20:52

And what's the original performer's name of this song???

Posted by: allaboard70 ()
Date: March 21, 2008 03:05

Yes, marcovandereijk, I can see they all have a lot of fun! Thank's.

Thank's also for the setlist and all other great comments!

"My Ding-A-Ling" : The original performer was Dave Bartholomew or The Bees, and I think the name of the song was "Toy Bell" or something this time, long time ago... But now it's Ding-A-Ling for all of us!

Here is my list on YouTube with more fun:

[www.youtube.com]

Johan smiling smiley

Date: March 22, 2008 16:55

Britney
mrrockandroll
Does anybody know the title of the uptempo song that Bill sang????

And does anybody have the full setlist of the Rhythm Kings set or Chuck Berry's set????

All Night Long

And what's the original performer's name of this song???

Posted by: MTFan ()
Date: March 22, 2008 18:03

texas fan
jamesfdouglas
Jagger should join that band! Sheesh!!

Come on James. You know Mick is a flop without the Stones...

Pardon?
The Stones are a flop without Mick Jagger.

Date: March 23, 2008 01:55

What's the original performer of 'All Night Long', as sung by Bill Wyman?

Posted by: the juf ()
Date: March 23, 2008 02:08

clifton chenier

Posted by: allaboard70 ()
Date: March 23, 2008 03:32

Song: All Night Long
Artist: Clifton Chenier
Music written by: Clifton Chenier
Recording date: 1955
Released: On audio album "Bayou Blues" (1970)

Cover hierarchy:
Willie and the Poor Boys (1985)

[www.secondhandsongs.com]

I got this great LP, Willie and the Poor Boys!

~ Johan

Date: March 24, 2008 14:59

Some people told me MT was drunk during his performance ..
Did anybody on this board attending the concert notice this?

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: March 24, 2008 16:19

MTFan
Some people told me MT was drunk during his performance ..
Did anybody on this board attending the concert notice this?

Nope

Posted by: wild_horse_pete ()
Date: March 24, 2008 19:27

Yes, the way he mumbels. And he started a story, and on the half of that story, he was loosing it, he really didn`t know what he was saying, altough his playing was good, not outstanding, just good, i think he had some problems with the audio on the first song, but that`s not him to blaim.

Posted by: euro'73 ()
Date: March 25, 2008 10:47

He was NOT drunk at all.

He was just as shy as always.
Maybe impressed and nervous too.
It's quite a while he played for a such a number of people.

Many people who were at the show said that Mick's performance was the hightlight of the evening. He brought some fire to Bill's performance.

I think it was difficult for Mick to play Fed Up With The blues and No Expectations with the horn section. They didn't allow him to bring in the vibro we usually hear him doing.

Posted by: Lightnin' ()
Date: March 25, 2008 19:12

wild_horse_pete
Yes, the way he mumbels. And he started a story, and on the half of that story, he was loosing it, he really didn`t know what he was saying, altough his playing was good, not outstanding, just good, i think he had some problems with the audio on the first song, but that`s not him to blaim.

There are a couple of pauses, when he addressess Bill and says "It's very nice to be here... with you ... and your band, you know. I'm in excellent company". It's when there are emotions involved that are not easily put into words. Whether everyone in the crowd got the message or not, Bill definitely understood what Mick T was saying.
He does finish the story he started. Nothing to do with being under the influence. When you haven't played together on the same stage since October '73 it's not going to leave you totally cold.

Date: March 26, 2008 13:02

There are a couple of pauses, when he addressess Bill and says "It's very nice to be here... with you ... and your band, you know. I'm in excellent company". It's when there are emotions involved that are not easily put into words. Whether everyone in the crowd got the message or not, Bill definitely understood what Mick T was saying.
He does finish the story he started. Nothing to do with being under the influence. When you haven't played together on the same stage since October '73 it's not going to leave you totally cold.[/quote]

In perfect words!

Posted by: coconuts ()
Date: March 26, 2008 23:40

Hi, we really enjoyed the show and we had a very good time.Specially my daugther!!! Thank for all. Amsterdam is great!!

Posted by: wild_horse_pete ()
Date: March 27, 2008 18:16

Well pardon me, it was my first time to watch him live, but the way he walks of the stage, and the way he talks, mabey it`s emotions, but for me it look like he was drunk or something, and like i said before, he played good, not outstanding. And he didn`t disappoint me at all, but that was just the feeling he gave me, it was the same feeling i had with Keith in Nijmegen last year. And okay they didn`t play together for a crowd since 1973, but i`m sure they always stayed in touch, all the guys have respect for each other, as a musician. So my point is, it can`t be true that a guy from 50 plus, are shaking on stage while he lived his whole live from tour to tour, and it wasn`t his biggest audience in years, he played a lot on blues and jazz festivals, and they are crowdy to.

Posted by: readymade ()
Date: March 29, 2008 20:07

mick's mother is dying.. he doesn't appear with barry in switzerland.

Posted by: Lightnin' ()
Date: March 29, 2008 20:51

wild_horse_pete
... And okay they didn`t play together for a crowd since 1973, but i`m sure they always stayed in touch, all the guys have respect for each other, as a musician

How can you be so sure of this - do you have a tap on Mick T's phone or does Bill give you regular updates on his private conversations ?

So my point is, it can`t be true that a guy from 50 plus, are shaking on stage while he lived his whole live from tour to tour, and it wasn`t his biggest audience in years, he played a lot on blues and jazz festivals, and they are crowdy to.

That's true, he does regularly play to crowds that are more or less similar in size. Although Mick T is naturally quite a shy or soft spoken person (off stage), there was no "shaking" during this performance, as far as I'm aware of. Still, I think this was a very special occasion for both Mick T and Bill.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-09 16:43 by Lightnin'.

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: April 4, 2008 19:48

It was a treat to appear on the same stage the same night Bill Wyman & Mick Taylor played in Amsterdam. I know I really had a good time. Getting the few minutes to talk to Bill before we went on stage was really cool too!

Date: April 9, 2008 14:00

Yes it was an outstanding event!
Mick Taylor played a show within another show, his two songs changed the whole atmosphere in the 5500 crowded house...! That's something just a few talents can accomplish... He's brilliant.
I happen to know the promoter a little and spoke to him a week after the show, after I told him about the "rumours" on this board about Mick being under influence he said:
"nonsense, totally not true. Mick did not even had a regular beer or something, not a drop of it. Almost all the other bandmembers had a little wine or beer like everybody does, but Mick did not even take one beer, or maybe just one after the show. No drugs or alcohol involved. The only fact is that he was just recovering from a bad flue, that's all"

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1505
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home