Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Does Keith get along with the Winos?
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 8, 2008 14:57

Stanley Booth alludes to some problems in his book but never says what happened. How are things there? Does anybody know? Any chance of a reunion?

"No Anchovies, Please"

Re: Does Keith get along with the Winos?
Posted by: gwen ()
Date: March 8, 2008 15:09

I have been wondering about this for a while (since I read the book actually). It seems Steve Jordan and Keith are still on good terms as they met last year in Berlin and Keith did that interview recently.

Maybe it's some kind of a curse. People are excited about working with Keith, because it's musically challenging. And later, when they realize ticket/albums sales are not that good (well compared to the Stones), they get bitter and disappointed over money. It seems it happened with some of the Wingless Angels, maybe it's a similar thing for the Winos.

I believe this may be a reason why very few of the L-Studio sessions is released.

Posted by: aprilfool ()
Date: March 8, 2008 15:23

Keith always said he was lazy. Older he will be, lazier he will be. This is a little bit the same truth for anybody. He made a great work for the 2 or 3 first decades of his working life. Don't ask him more. He is tired and his special way of life burned a part of his mind. You can't go out of drugs and drinks without secondary effects. He pays now that.

Date: March 8, 2008 15:52

April, did you read the question? I agree with what you said, but that's not what I'm asking.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 8, 2008 16:18

Of the Winos, Neville, Wachtel, Jordan and Keys have all stayed connected to the Stones after the Wino's 1992 tour, playing on albums like Voodoo Lounge and B2B. Drayton moved to Australia after the first Wino's tour.

All members of the Winos were and still are high in demand session men, and for them it basically was "just a job", allbeit a very special one.

And for these session men (all of them being multi-instrumentalists), playing with Richards is not really musically chalanging, but it raised the bar to a much higher profesional and financial level.

Mathijs

Date: March 8, 2008 16:42

Thanks, M. Someone was looking for you the other day on here.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: March 8, 2008 17:23

is it Stanley Booth who says that there were some problems? i remember that bit in Kris Needs's Keith bio,
but he was clearly mistaking the Winos for the Wingless Angels, who did have some trouble getting along.
you know how it is with these groups that start with W ... anyway Keith said at the Hall of Fame press conference last year
that some new Winos activity may be forthcoming, so we can hope.

Date: March 8, 2008 18:07

Yeah, I could dig that. I saw their first show at the Fox in Atlanta in 1988. WOW! It was da bomb.

How I Wish ......

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: March 8, 2008 18:43

gwen wrote

they get bitter and disappointed over money.

shortly before a Wino's gig @ the 4 Season's hotel bar i was talkin with Bobby Keys for a while & one of the things i said to him was " Bob you must be makin a nice buck on this tour huh " & Bobby said while raising his arms " Are You Kiddin Me ! Its All Going In Here " meaning the 4 Season's Hotel which we all know is very expensive

i guess Bobby wishes Keith would have lowered his standards a little , that would have left more bucks for the band

Posted by: aprilfool ()
Date: March 8, 2008 18:48

Sorry Elmo. I was not awake. I agree with the answer from Mathijs.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: March 8, 2008 18:55

I'd like to see Babi Floyd join the backing vocalists for the Stones. He can rock a mean cowbell 'n' scarf.

Posted by: dixiecup ()
Date: March 8, 2008 22:52

Elmo Lewis
Stanley Booth alludes to some problems in his book but never says what happened. How are things there? Does anybody know? Any chance of a reunion?

yo elmo - sorry i missed it - what book by booth?

i really hope he starts up the winos again - it will be good for him in so many ways. after reading a long interview with ivan neville, there was no reference to the winos. surprising. charlie drayton is touring with the divinyls.

so may be an updated winos - what is the likelihood?

Date: March 8, 2008 23:53

The book I'm speaking of is "Keith: Standing In The Shadows", not "True Adventures".

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 9, 2008 00:31

chippy
i guess Bobby wishes Keith would have lowered his standards a little , that would have left more bucks for the band

Sounds like Keith hadn't learned much from the 1979 New Barbarians tour; if he remembers that year

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-03-09 15:47 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: dixiecup ()
Date: March 9, 2008 06:25

chippy
gwen wrote

shortly before a Wino's gig @ the 4 Season's hotel bar i was talkin with Bobby Keys for a while & one of the things i said to him was " Bob you must be makin a nice buck on this tour huh " & Bobby said while raising his arms " Are You Kiddin Me ! Its All Going In Here " meaning the 4 Season's Hotel which we all know is very expensive

this is pretty deep stuff. everyone deserves to make a buck.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-03-09 06:29 by dixiecup.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 9, 2008 17:20

dixiecup
chippy
gwen wrote

this is pretty deep stuff. everyone deserves to make a buck.

All musicians in the Wino's are highly paid session musicians -they do not tour with anyone if they don't earn their own standard. How romantic it might be, in the end Keith just pays the band their requested salaries.

Mathijs

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: March 9, 2008 17:41

>> Bobby said while raising his arms " Are You Kiddin Me ! Its All Going In Here "
meaning the 4 Season's Hotel which we all know is very expensive <<

well, not to overinterpret a conversation i wasn't part of, but: maybe he meant literally the hotel bar -
i reckon the hotels were paid for, but from the side musicians' point of view, being put up in hugely expensive hotels
means using their hugely expensive bars, restaurants & other extras. obviously they don't have to use them,
but they do, just because it's simpler than trying to find cheaper local alternatives after a gig.
i'm just extrapolating from comments i've heard from other side musicians in other ritzy hotel bars,
but maybe that is what Bobby meant.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2047
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home