Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Goddess In The Doorway
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 7, 2008 18:24

skipstone
God Gave Me Everything reminds me of, in some places, Ruthless People - probably Mick's best solo song/single EVER. Reminds me of - I mean there are some string and vocal elements that are similar to it. The songs couldn't be any more different from each other if they tried. But there's some kind of chime thing going on in GGME that is sonically similar to parts of Ruthless People.

How come that didn't make the Jagger hits comp? Is it even available on CD? The B-side was pretty cool too. What a bunch of bullsh*it that it isn't out on CD anywhere. If it isn't.

You mean "I'm Ringing", I presume. Agree. Very good song.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 7, 2008 18:25

Stones CAT
1. Wandering Spirit
2. Goddess
3. Alfie
4. She´s the boss
5. Primitiv cool

Ditto

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: March 7, 2008 18:28

Musically those particular songs might possibly have worked as Stones tunes. Certainly not in their finished state as Mick songs. And obviously not lyrically.

That's how. As in, those ideas would have been interesting to have been flushed out with Keith. Cellphane Trousers - Too Tough. Etc... What was it, Highwire was orignally done, worked on but not finished or rehearsed, for Steel Wheels but it didn't work and it was something Mick brought in from the PCool sessions or something he had come up with around that time. And they went back to it for the Flashpoint extras. I recall reading that in some magazine back then. Whether that's true or not I don't know.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: March 7, 2008 18:28

"The Very Worst Of Mick Jagger" would be a real shocker of an album

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: March 7, 2008 18:35

What, oh yeah, just re-release She's The Boss with a few Prmitive Cool tracks added on it.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: March 7, 2008 20:09

I remember Mick's remark about "Highwire" being built around an unfinished song from the album before last. He could have meant DIRTY WORK, but I suspect its the PRIMITIVE COOL outtake, "Danger Up Ahead" which has definite similarities musically and lyrically. Of course the finished track owes as much to "When the Whip Comes Down" and their arrangement of "Just My Imagination" for its bridge as it does anything else.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: March 7, 2008 21:26

All in all it has its moments, with two truly great trax: Hide Away and the cheesy ballad Set of Rules.

She's the boss remains his best solo effort. It's the only one that does not make me think "this could have been great if keef and charlie were there!"

C

Posted by: Angus MacBagpipe ()
Date: March 7, 2008 23:06

I would put Mick's solo albums in this order:

1) Goddess - his most consistent and personal album, with the minimum of embarrassing moments (Mick shouting "Jump for joy!" is the low point).

2) She's the Boss - sure it's very 80's, and a bit goofy. But I love the humour of it, especially the title track.

3) Primitive Cool - I actually like "Let's Work"; not a Stones tune, but still a good Mick tune. The title track and parts of "War Baby" make me cringe a bit - Keith would have hit the erase button on those two. Great input from the a couple of the Chieftains on "Party Doll".

4)Wandering Spirit - Sorry, I put this last. Most of it would've made a great Stones album: "Sweet Thing", "Evening Gown", "Put me in the Trash" are all good, but would've been so much better done by our boys. I don't like the slick production, the overloud back-up singers, and the title track just goes no where. And that first track - I always skip it, so I can't recall the name - just a hollow shell of a rock song with generic "rock band" sound. Sounds like it was written for a TV commercial. The covers of the James Brown song and "Use me up" bring the whole thing back up to a respectable place.

Posted by: benon again ()
Date: March 8, 2008 01:27

Jagger is ambitious and has bad taste in some cases.
So we have much more music than from our lazy hero K.R.
And much more awfully bad songs.To be honest i don`t know any bad solo KR`s songs....

Let`s work , Visions of paradise ,Just another night , some Primitive Cool songs are for me terrible.
Whole Wandering Spirit , big part of Goddess and few songs from She`s the Boss and Primitive Cool are at least good and some of them are great....
Lonely at the Top
Lucky in Love
RUTHLESS PEOPLE (!!!)
Say you will
Kow Tow
Throwaway
Wandering Spirit
Wired all night
Don`t tear me up
Joy
Too far gone
God gave me everything

and many more

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1539
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home