Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

O/T Ian Hunter Band,The Lowry,Saturday 23rd February 2008
Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: February 24, 2008 14:23

Hello,

Back to the Lowry to see the bloke who used to front Mott The Hoople,now playing with Steve Holley (drums and vocals and banter) and James Mastro (frankly amazing guitar and mandolin),in support of his latest album,"Shrunken Heads".

Apart from reading "Diary Of A Rock'n'Roll Star",I'll have to admit to knowing almost cock-all about Ian Hunter or his body of work,so I did feel a little bit like a fraud (albeit a curious one) last night as I mingled with the other 279 audience-members prior to the show:there were plenty of Mott 'lifers' on display!
Unlike Dionne Warwick last Sunday this was in The Quay Theatre at The Lowry and was a sell-out too,although a tenth of the size.

The band walk onstage each holding a flute of champagne,which will remain untouched for at least an hour or so!
As you'd expect from someone who's been playing live for a millenium,Ian Hunter is so at ease but still eager to engage with the punters.He will take a moment or two between songs to explain what lead him to write this or that,or the circumstances surrounding the recording or some tale from touring.These asides never outstay their welcome either.

His songs are a right mix of fast,slow,4/4,shuffle,whatever with IH playing rhythm guitar or piano while the bloke on his left blazes away on anything with strings.Speaking of which,does anyone know who made this beauty?

The show ended with a sing-a-long 'All The Young Dudes' which is guaranteed to send anyone out with a smile on their face.The great man even shook my hand...still haven't washed it!
He is now a member of my '100% satisfaction-guaranteed-or-money-back' club.
No higher recommendation can there be.

Cheers,

Si.

Re: O/T Ian Hunter Band,The Lowry,Saturday 23rd February 2008
Posted by: UGot2Rollme ()
Date: February 24, 2008 14:37

thanks for the review. Would love to see Ian Hunter again. Last time I saw him Mick Ronson was on guitar - wow that was awhile back.

He's still a dude.

Posted by: jamesjagger ()
Date: February 24, 2008 14:48

I Hope Ian is able to live well of his music. He has been one of the best!

Posted by: luxury man ()
Date: February 24, 2008 15:17

Nice review....the Hoople was a good band back in the day...glad to see Hunter is still making music....now go wash your hands! lol

Posted by: rocks off ()
Date: February 24, 2008 15:28

Did he play "Cleveland Rocks"?

Posted by: inopeng ()
Date: February 24, 2008 16:33

That little guitar player dude with the hat has been with him probably longer than anyone else in his career...and Rant was my favorite record of 2001...

Posted by: cc ()
Date: February 24, 2008 19:45

great post, Simon. Ian is definitely one of the best acts going--a superb songwriter and rock and roller, with an amazing bond with his fans--and you don't have to see him in a stadium!

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: February 25, 2008 13:47

great photos and review, as always, Simon.

pleased you had a good night.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 25, 2008 15:38

man i had the chance to see ian hunter with mick ronson back in 1988 and what a show indeed it was .a cross between mott the hoople and slaughter on 10th avenue.wow a great show .brings back some good memories.

Date: February 25, 2008 15:41

Hi Folks,

He was indeed a great turn!

How's the injury,Adrian-any chance of making the start (or more importantly) and finish line?

Cheers,

Si.

Posted by: CharliMoon ()
Date: February 25, 2008 15:45

Great review and wpnderful photos. Thanks so much.

Posted by: Earls Court 76 ()
Date: February 25, 2008 19:43

I was a Mott fan in my youth but never got to see them live . I did see IH in London last year and it was a great gig . His newer stuff is really good , a track called "when the world was round" is a classic and when he played the MTH tracks it was singalong all the way .
One of the greats , I hope he is back in London again soon .

Date: February 25, 2008 19:50

Hi EC76,
He is finishing this UK leg at some place in Dartford named after some singer...name escapes me,heh-heh-heh!

Unfortunately it is a sell-out but there will always be folks who need to return their tickets.Good luck!

Oh yeah,the Mick Jagger Centre!

[www.ianhunter.com]

Cheers,

Si.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1778
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home