Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Made In The Shade's Reason
Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 24, 2008 00:29

I found this on rollingstones.com - it actually works for once. Thought I'd share it. It's funny to see they used it as a counter-measure against ABKCO/Decca instead of nothing to tour...

'The band decides to compile a selection of songs from the vaults in order to counter the onslaught of what they see as inferior compilation albums released by ABKCO and Decca. Bill Wyman takes the Mobile Recording Studio to his country home in Suffolk and starts sifting through boxes of tapes of unreleased material. He submits his selection, provisionally entitled The Black Box, to Allen Klein, but it is rejected, allegedly on the grounds of too few Jagger/Richards-penned materials that simply won?t bring in the royalties. ABCKO come up with their own selection, most of the which are Andrew Oldham Orchestra versions with only Mick Jagger present. This compilation, also known now as ?Klein?s Revenge,? is released in June this year as the album Metamorphosis.'

Re: Made In The Shade's Reason
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 24, 2008 00:49

Porky's Laid was way better........

ROCKMAN

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: February 24, 2008 00:50

Made in the shade!!! I remember that one.....it was my first 70 ties R&s HITS? ALBUM.... we smoked a lot of special cigs on that one! Dance sistah dance!

Date: February 24, 2008 18:39

Good album for people that are not familiar with the stones. Result = Instant stones fan!

Posted by: turnersmemo ()
Date: February 24, 2008 19:07

Stephen Thomas Erlewine, All Music Guide:

Released in the summer of 1975, in the down period between Mick Taylor 's departure and as the Stones were auditioning guitarists during the recording of 1976's Black and Blue. Coincidentally, the '60s rarities comp Metamorphosis also came out in the summer of 1975. tongue sticking out smiley

Made in the Shade offers a perfunctory summary of the Stones ' records from the first half of the '70s. With the exception of their 1974 cover of the Temptations ' 'Ain't Too Proud to Beg' (presumably left off the LP so Mick and Keith would have all the publishing here), all the U.S. hits from 1971 through 1974 are here -- 'Brown Sugar,' 'Wild Horses,' 'Happy,' 'Tumbling Dice,' 'Angie,' 'Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker),' 'It's Only Rock 'n Roll' -- and they're balanced out with some sharp, hard-driving album tracks like 'Dance Little Sister,' 'Rip This Joint,' and 'Bitch,' the latter of which was played enough on the radio and in concerts to seem like one of their genuine hits.

So, it's not a bad collection, but it's not a necessary one either, since the albums it anthologizes are pretty great on their own terms -- 1971's Sticky Fingers and 1972's Exile on Main St. are two of the greatest albums of the 20th century -- and such latter-day anthologies as Jump Back and Forty Licks cover this half of the '70s, plus the second half of the '70s, in a more thorough fashion.

[www.allmusic.com]

Posted by: CharliMoon ()
Date: February 24, 2008 19:29

It's a good album. Many great hits on it, so for someone who doesn't know much of the Stones and wants to get a little familiar with them, it certainly pays off.

Posted by: chippy ()
Date: February 24, 2008 23:39

from Circus Mag . back when da " birds were bustin " about " 33 years ago "

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 25, 2008 00:32

I love that version of the Tongue And Lips logo on that hype.

I thought I had read somewhere that Made In The Shade and Metamorphosis were released within a week of each other. So it wasn't only because they had nothing new to promote/tour. And certainly having released their very own first hits comp with the tour it made sense that it would sell well. I had the original CD issue but lost it or something. And the only reason I'd get the Virgin one now is because, well, it exists and it's a very cool comp.

But totally redundant since I have all the records. Still, it's very cool. I remember being at a party in 1990 or sometime like that and my friends had Made In The Shade on. They loved it. Rewind wasn't anywhere to be seen!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1769
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home