Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
OT: Bowie at his best
Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: February 22, 2008 14:46

Sorry - I know this is a Stones forum but given you're all clearly people of discerning taste and sophistication I thought you should see this....

Bowie at his intense otherwordly best. This video from 1977 is simply awesome...

Re: OT: Bowie at his best
Posted by: luxury man ()
Date: February 22, 2008 14:49

you're kidding....right???

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: February 22, 2008 14:55

Simplistic, absurd and excellent video, this one - just like Heroes from the same year. There's also some incomplete promotional videos of other 77 songs - Blackout among others

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: February 22, 2008 14:57

luxury man

I'm deadly serious.

You?

Posted by: luxury man ()
Date: February 22, 2008 14:59

Roll73
luxury man

I'm deadly serious.

You?

me?....hey...to each his own,i guess

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: February 22, 2008 15:08

Great song that, but his guitar-fiddling is a bit silly.

Posted by: iamthedj ()
Date: February 22, 2008 18:44

This is one of my all time favourite moments of Bowie's. Just too cool. Simplistic, smart, sexy. The whole "Low" album is a must have for anyone even curious about Bowie.

Posted by: farawayeyes2 ()
Date: February 22, 2008 18:48

Nice video and song!
but still, in his berlin era there is a lot of so much better stuff!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 22, 2008 18:51

Great song, great album, great era, great teeth...

Posted by: aslecs ()
Date: February 22, 2008 18:56

Oy vey. you gotta be kidding

Posted by: cc ()
Date: February 22, 2008 19:35

top-notch rock and roll. Thanks Roll73.

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: February 22, 2008 20:05

Bowie's glory years were 1971-1980. He made Hunky Dory, Ziggy Stardust, Alladin Sane, Diamond Dogs, Young Americans, Station to Station, Low, Heroes, Lodger and Scary Monsters. Yes, I know, I didn't mention Pin-Ups, but that was a). a covers album and b). an exercise in treading water and searching for a new style.

In those nine years he went from folk, rock/glam rock to blue-eyed soul to Krautrock/ambient to post-new wave. At least that's what was going on on the surface. Beneath the style was a lot of substance and a helluva lot of experimentation.

He briefly recaptured that experimental zing! in the mid-90s - Buddha of Suburbia/Outside and Earthling are his pre-millenium Low/Heroes and Lodger. Then he bottled out and started paying tribute to himself, first with ....hours (the cover says it all - the ghost of recent experiments fading into safer, reflective music), then Heathen and Reality, the latter being his worst album (in my opinion) since Never Let Me Down.

Sorry, you were saying ...?

Date: February 22, 2008 20:28

agreed for the most part. But I think Heathen is a tremendous album. On Outside and Earthling he strained too much to be "serious" and then "cutting-edge," whereas on Heathen he actually sounds relaxed but still made a very polished record with great writing and superb production. Reality is very flat in comparison.

Date: February 22, 2008 20:30

Yeah, Heathen is the only excellent Bowie album on this side of Scary Monsters

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: February 22, 2008 20:36

Thanks Roll. The first side of Low (showin my age, ain't I?) is the best thing he's done since Ronson. As always with Bowie, great vid.

Posted by: ferda ()
Date: February 22, 2008 21:52

Thanks for sharing this. Excellent song, great era.
BTW, great live version performed during 2003-4 tour.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 22, 2008 22:05

aslecs
Oy vey. you gotta be kidding

Only about the teeth

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 22, 2008 22:33

I luv here

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: February 23, 2008 03:41

Great clip--really anticipates the look of a lot of rock videos of the 80's.

1977 was a good year for Bowie--he made two albums (Low and "Heroes") and produced/played on two albums for Iggy Pop (The Idiot and Lust for Life)

I think the original title for Low was "New Songs--Night and Day"

Nick Lowe put out an EP (shortly after the release of Low) that he entitled "Bowi!"

Posted by: MacPhisto ()
Date: February 23, 2008 11:39

This video really makes me see why he's called the thin white duke. I like it!

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: February 23, 2008 12:17

cc
agreed for the most part. But I think Heathen is a tremendous album. On Outside and Earthling he strained too much to be "serious" and then "cutting-edge," whereas on Heathen he actually sounds relaxed but still made a very polished record with great writing and superb production. Reality is very flat in comparison.

So if he was "straining" to be "serious" and "cutting edge" on Outside, what was he doing on Low/Heroes/Lodger/Scary Monsters, then? You're obviously not a fan of either Outside or Earthling, which is fine, but if you were you'd notice there's a helluva lot of humour in both albums.

Heathen was ok - some great songs on it, and it was better than Hours, but I still have a bit of a "so what?" feeling about it. Reality is indefensibly bad.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 23, 2008 12:23

Be My Wife....Vid

At times he kinda turns into Kylie Minogue...

ROCKMAN

Date: February 23, 2008 12:34

The great thing about Bowie in this video is that at first look, one can't really tell if he's joking or if he's serious.

Date: February 23, 2008 19:56

Nikolai
So if he was "straining" to be "serious" and "cutting edge" on Outside, what was he doing on Low/Heroes/Lodger/Scary Monsters, then? You're obviously not a fan of either Outside or Earthling, which is fine, but if you were you'd notice there's a helluva lot of humour in both albums.

Low/"Heroes"/Lodger don't have the narrative pretensions of Outside, characters, etc. Their concepts are minimalist, even when the mixes get denser on "Heroes." Unless all that stuff on Outside about the serial killer was part of the joke...

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: February 23, 2008 20:00

Such a great song!

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: February 23, 2008 23:23

iamthedj
This is one of my all time favourite moments of Bowie's. Just too cool. Simplistic, smart, sexy. The whole "Low" album is a must have for anyone even curious about Bowie.

I don't have any bowie music. I've been wanting to get some for a while. this video/ song has me intrigued. I will take you up on this advice!

Posted by: farawayeyes2 ()
Date: February 24, 2008 03:51

ryanpow you'll never get out of itt!
but I wouldnt start with his berlin era (the trilogy Low-heroes-Lodger). I think it is best era so far, but is not easy-listening music, especially if you havent heard anything by bowie..I'd start with a best of, or Ziggy Stardust, Aladdin Sane and Hunky Dory. Then Diamond Dogs, Station to Station and the Berlin trilogy: his most experimental albums, fantastic masterpieces. I think Bowie needs some time to be understood, his chord progressions and melodies..

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-24 03:58 by farawayeyes2.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: February 24, 2008 03:56

I will take this into consideration. A lot of times I get into an artist first by stuff thats a little bit more recent, but still old then I go back to the older stuff. thats what I did with the stones, I first got into the some girls era. but every artist is different. Perhaps I should start off with a GH disc.

Posted by: Tate ()
Date: February 24, 2008 05:21

Thanks for posting this clip... Low is one of my favorite Bowie albums, and the vid shows DB in a great way.

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: February 24, 2008 08:05

I do like this song. I gotta check out some Bowie music since I presently only got his greatest hits compilation from ยด93. I think I'll have a whirl at "Low".

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1724
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home