Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Songs they shouldnt play anymore
Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: February 23, 2008 13:11

They can play whatever they want, but some new arrangements wouldn't hurt.
Sympathy, Tumbling Dice, HTW, Miss You: just change the routine.

As long as they keep playing Jumping Jack Flash I'll keep buying tickets.

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: February 23, 2008 14:47

Flip the switch is a song I like, it works live and Keith can do his Berry solos, just watch the clips from 1997. Happy used to be so good and he cant do it anymore its horrible, so why not just leave it. Maybe he could do a rocker in his lower vocal range.

Date: February 23, 2008 15:24

Happy was horrible in 2007 but,it was also horrible in the '75-'78 time span.There are the '72/'73 versions - most of them were excellent and after that,the next best versions come from the '89(or '88 solo)-'06 era.I just saw them perform Happy in Boston 25 or 26 months ago and it was solid.The Biggest Bang version from Rio was not too shabby either.The best of the tour might have been from Nagoya.

Seriously though,most people laugh at the Love You Live version or other versions from that tour.

Date: February 23, 2008 15:30

I'm not saying that they should keep playing Happy on a regular basis but,I definitely don't want to see it go out the way they played it in 2007.Maybe,if there is another tour,they could play it just a few times to redeem themselves.

Date: February 23, 2008 15:52

They should ease way up on Honkey Tonk Women,You Got Me Rocking,Miss You,IORR,Tumbling Dice,Sympathy For The Devil,and Brown Sugar.They obviously should not dump them all at once (unless there will be an all theater tour) but,they could pick two of those and rest them for an entire tour plus take a couple more of them and do with those songs the same as what they did with Miss You on the 2002/2003 tour which is play them only at 16% of the shows.Next,they could consider a standard # of songs per show so that it does not vary from 22 to 18 as it did on the last tour - maybe they could come out and say from now on every Rolling Stones concert will be 21 songs (more would create more room for flexibility obviously but they might not be able to handle it with their advancing age unless they start doing short tours with two shows per week).The way I see it,this is the way to create a well balanced mix,some variety,to breathe more life into their act,and to create a better reason for them to continue.

As far as new arrangements for warhorses go,I think we've seen all of the new arrangements that we ever will.Sympathy was arranged differently starting in 2005.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-23 15:56 by Theif in the Night.

Posted by: King Snake ()
Date: February 23, 2008 16:52

How about Tumbling Dice..

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: February 23, 2008 17:03

open-g
Since you're not going to concerts, it's pretty easy to avoid songs you don't like - from YouTube, your collection etc. etc...
but no, you seem to go searching for them on YouTube and state "Songs they shouldnt play anymore"
how pathetic is that?

Spot on open-g, why should LA forum worry about "which songs they shouldn't play anymore", he won't go out to hear or see them anyway.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-23 17:18 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: February 23, 2008 17:11

I think we all know the list by now, but they will never stop playing them because god knows we have to have the CASUAL FAN in the crowd now dont we mick

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: February 23, 2008 17:43

King Snake

Wonderful song which need new blood.
But stop play it? tongue sticking out smiley

Date: February 23, 2008 17:57

dont stop playing it, just go back to the 72 style of playing it

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: February 23, 2008 18:54

I personally loathe Brown Sugar and I'm not wild about JJF either but I'm still happy to listen to whatever they choose to throw at us!

Posted by: King Snake ()
Date: February 23, 2008 18:57

Baboon Bro
King Snake

Wonderful song which need new blood.
But stop play it? tongue sticking out smiley

What would that new blood consist of?

Date: February 23, 2008 18:59

Theif in the Night
Happy was horrible in 2007 but,it was also horrible in the '75-'78 time span.There are the '72/'73 versions - most of them were excellent and after that,the next best versions come from the '89(or '88 solo)-'06 era.I just saw them perform Happy in Boston 25 or 26 months ago and it was solid.The Biggest Bang version from Rio was not too shabby either.The best of the tour might have been from Nagoya.

Seriously though,most people laugh at the Love You Live version or other versions from that tour.

Really? The zonked out versions in 1975 and less zonked out in 1976 are rockin, they're wild and raunchy, a party. The 1972 version is of course the best one and 1973 was, well maybe even better at some shows (Taylor...). His voice was perfect for the song in the 70s even the 1978 punk versions.

Date: February 23, 2008 19:00

And it's a song for both Keith and Mick, part of that chemistry they used to have.

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: February 23, 2008 19:01

Lady Jayne
but I'm still happy to listen to whatever they choose to throw at us!

That sounds awfully desperate.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: February 23, 2008 19:11

LA Forum, imagine yourself alone with the members of the band for a conversation. Do you think you are the most qualilfied person to tell them what not to play? Would you have the nerve to tell them straight out? Why should they listen to you?

Date: February 23, 2008 19:20

stonesrule
LA Forum, imagine yourself alone with the members of the band for a conversation. Do you think you are the most qualilfied person to tell them what not to play? Would you have the nerve to tell them straight out? Why should they listen to you?

Lol, is this a threat? No they wouldnt listen to me but they really should. I wouldn't have the nerve and that's a problem, most corporations/bands make better decicions when not sorrounded by yes-men. I'm a fan, I listen more to their boots than they do, i'm in the audience/at home with youtube/with friends watching a dvd.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: February 23, 2008 19:32

LA FORUM
No they wouldnt listen to me but they really should.

Listen to you ? But you seem unable to put into words what they should do, and what is wrong with what they do now. All you do is post a youtube link of a not-too-hot renidition of Happy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-23 19:48 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 23, 2008 19:40

Streets Of Love should be banned from any future setlist.

Date: February 23, 2008 20:21

why should they listen to us!!!!! WE PAY THE SALARY OF THE ENTIRE BAND THATS WHY

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: February 23, 2008 21:48

Who is "We"? IORR Posters? The World?

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: February 23, 2008 22:04

Rocks off, Brown Sugar, start me up and HTW

Date: February 23, 2008 22:31

The Stones
Lady Jayne

Well, maybe or maybe a little more realistic than some. Frankly, since they wrote most of them, perform them better than I can (and I would venture to guess anyone else who posts on this board), who am I to sound off about what they should or shouldn't play?

Date: February 23, 2008 22:37

Lady Jayne
The Stones
Lady Jayne

Well, maybe or maybe a little more realistic than some. Frankly, since they wrote most of them, perform them better than I can (and I would venture to guess anyone else who posts on this board), who am I to sound off about what they should or shouldn't play?

Well I play Midnight Rambler much better than Keith. And that's a damn shame. Casue in 1972 and 1975 he was untouchable. I'd never challenged him in 1981.

Posted by: chavostone ()
Date: February 23, 2008 22:42

Well , every song is ok for em , they should bring out a @#$%& lot of never played material!!
and do a big variation on setlists , thats what we need and they were annoying on 2007 , that tour had better not happened!
i think everyone agrees after the video! right?

Posted by: chavostone ()
Date: February 23, 2008 22:50

Everyone should like this setlist!

1 One Hit To The Body
2 She Was Hot
3 Lies
4 Carol
5 When The Whip Comes Down
6 Angie
7 Rain Fall Down
8 Mixed Emotions
9 I Go Wild
10 Rocks Off
11 Saint Of Me
12 Love Is Strong
13 Tops
14 The Worst
15 Infamy
16 Honky Tonk Women
17 Miss You
18 Respectable
19 Oh No Not You Again
20 It Wont Take Long
21 Dont Stop
22 Satisfaction
23 Brown Sugar
24 It’s All Over Now
25 Out Of Control

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 23, 2008 23:33

chavostone, I've taken the time to improve your set list because it had some stinkers in it:

Oh, before I get to that, just my own piece on Tumbling Dice - from all that I have ever heard of it from live bootlegs, they never played it worth a goddamn until the Voodoo Lounge tour. Bridges was pretty good too. Licks was OK. I dunno about Bang. That version on Love You Live is...an ATROCITY. And the version in Let's Spend The Night Together is just as bad.

Those are my four licks worth....and here is my - I like your set list but I've changed some of it for my own shits and giggles...

1 One Hit To The Body
2 She Was Hot
3 Lies
4 Carol
5 When The Whip Comes Down
6 Fight
7 Flip The Switch
8 Sad Sad Sad
9 I Go Wild
10 Rocks Off
11 Tie You Up (The Pain Of Love)
12 Love Is Strong
13 Tops
14 Thief In The Night
15 You Don't Have To Mean It
16 Shattered
17 She's So Cold
18 She Saw Me Coming
19 Oh No Not You Again
20 It Wont Take Long
21 Dont Stop
22 Let It Rock
23 Dancing With Mr D
24 Rough Justice
25 Out Of Control

Date: February 24, 2008 09:47

This is what Im talkin about. Great list! BTW, She's so cold, She Was Hot, Shattered - all great this last tour (yeah even on youtube). I listened to a live boot of Thief yesterday and it was great. I think it was from 97/98 (?) but he can pull it off, it's perfect for "old Keith".

Date: February 24, 2008 10:12

LA FORUM
Well I play Midnight Rambler much better than Keith. And that's a damn shame. Casue in 1972 and 1975 he was untouchable. I'd never challenged him in 1981.

Lovin' your work! Let me know when your next tour is at Wembley or Madison Square Garden and I'll be there! (or alternatively, let's all get real)

Date: February 24, 2008 12:49

Lady Jayne
LA FORUM

Lovin' your work! Let me know when your next tour is at Wembley or Madison Square Garden and I'll be there! (or alternatively, let's all get real)

Well, no I'm not touring and it's his song, not mine. But you don't believe I play it better? I wouldnt compare my version to his original or live versions from the 70s though.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1679
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home