Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Let It Bleed MONO (UK Decca)
Posted by: silkcut1978 ()
Date: February 18, 2008 12:55

Hi, I remember that someone wrote about the Mono-edition of Let It Bleed a few months ago and I remember that alternate mixes/versions were mentioned.

Any details would be much appreciated as I'd like to buy a copy now but I'd prefer to have more specific informations then a general "it's different".

Thanks in advance,
silkcut1978

Re: Let It Bleed MONO (UK Decca)
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: February 18, 2008 13:26

stones-relics is your man

Posted by: silkcut1978 ()
Date: February 18, 2008 13:31

Thanks Nicos, I was almost sure that he was the one who wrote about it. Hope he'll be online soon..;-)

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: February 18, 2008 13:43

This guy somes it up pretty well, but is referring to the bootleg cd. The vinyl is much cleaner, without the digital remix. Mono Bleed Lps have soared in costs over the last few years, due to this sound. I have seen vg copies go for $400 US, and Near mint ones in the thousands. To my ear, the mono Bleed is the best sounding of all Stones records, with the Mono Beggar's Banquet a close second. From the opening of Gimme Shelter, which is such a dark, forboding sound in mono, to the closing chorus of YCAGWYW, its a must. See below...but you can save a ton of money, by buying the cd mentioned below, its good, for a cd, just not the vinyl..Good Luck,

JR

On the basis of the numbers of copies that were pressed, the mono Decca Records version of Let It Bleed (which only existed in England) is probably the rarest of all the mono editions of the Rolling Stones' classic albums -- so rare, in fact, that its existence wasn't even on the radar screens of most collectors. Thus, the existence of this perfect bootleg edition -- part of a series of superb digi-pak style issues of Stones mono LPs -- doesn't merely save completists lots of money, but also many years of hunting. As to the release itself, this is the punchiest-sounding version of Let It Bleed yet to appear on CD, the original mono mix keeping the rhythm section all together instead of dividing the bass, drums, and percussion as the stereo master did -- "Live With Me," in particular, is a knockout in this edition, its pounding beat punched up all the more by the merging of the bass, drums, rhythm guitar, and piano (the VU meter on this reviewer's amplifier bumping away like a heart patient headed toward cardiac arrest); and the close sound to the mastering doesn't hurt, either. "Let It Bleed" sounds about as good as it ever has, the lead guitar nice and up front in the mix where you can make out every nuance of the playing. Indeed, fans of Keith Richards will have to hear this version of the record just for the way it showcases his playing, but in case that isn't enough, there are the bonus tracks (that bring this CD up to over 70 minutes' running time), which include "Gimme Shelter" as sung by Richards (as well as the ubiquitous Mick Jagger-sung version of "You Got the Silver"). Along with the chronologically related "Loving Cup" and "Sister Morphine," plus "Memo From Turner" and two different mixes of "Honky Tonk Women," the "bonus" section of this disc is pretty well as substantial as the official album portion, with embarrassingly good sound on its tracks. ~ Bruce Eder, All Music Guide

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: February 18, 2008 14:01

Could anyone else care to comment on the sound quality of the momo cd "mecca" digipack bootleg?
I'm guessing it's sourced from vinyl. Has it been eq'd (ruined) in any way or is t just a straight transfer?

Date: February 18, 2008 14:23

[www.popsike.com]

Man, I should sell one of mine...

JR

Date: February 18, 2008 15:13

Thank a lot for your help JR !!

I saw one today on Ebay for about GBP 600,- and thought about buying it. That's the reason why I was asking. Way cheaper than on popsike ;-)

On the other hand I have 3 different UK and 2 US editions with the Poster (but all in stereo) and so I'll maybe think about it a little longer. Thanks for the hint to the CD - I think I have (almost) every digipak-release and I just found two copies of Let It Bleed. I wasn't aware that it's more than a fake (I thought it's the Stereo-CD mixed to Mono) and I'll give a listen in a minute. If it sounds that good I'll spend the money anyway ;-)

Again, thanks for your help!
silkcut

Date: February 18, 2008 15:14

No worries...glad to be of help....good look on the Bleed quest.

JR

Posted by: mofur ()
Date: February 18, 2008 15:49

Darn it - just had a look at my original vinyl "Let It Bleed" and it is the stereo version *haaarrummmppphhhh*

Funny, the way they made them back then - with the little whole in the cover so you could see the colour of the innersleeve - blue for stereo and red for mono. Well.....mine was blue - boo-hoo angry smiley

Posted by: CharliMoon ()
Date: February 18, 2008 15:58

Thanks for your help S-R.

Sounds like a great bootleg album, but darn, it's hard to get!!

Date: February 18, 2008 16:00

Its actually all over the place...

here is one for sale on ebay now.

[cgi.ebay.com]

JR

Date: February 18, 2008 17:06

stone-relics
Its actually all over the place...

here is one for sale on ebay now.

[cgi.ebay.com]

JR

cool - I have a DECCA (LK 5029 !! LOL) and a DIAMOND (LK 5025) release but I've never seen before the MECCA release. there's no end in sight...;-)

silkcut

Posted by: mickijaggeroo ()
Date: February 18, 2008 18:51

For those interested in learning more about DECCA-vinyls, please visit:
[www.stonesvikings.com]
More info is added all the time, about the different titles and their variations.

Vilhelm
Nordic Stones Vikings

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: February 18, 2008 23:15

I bought the Bleed and Satanic cds (Mecca label) both off ebay, Paid $9.99 for one and 14.99 for the other.Both very worth it in my opinion and to me it sounds just like a "straight needle drop transfer".

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: April 14, 2008 12:22

I recently bought a mono CD of Let it Bleed, it's not the Mecca label one though.

You can tell there's some noise filtering been applied to it. My CD has what sounds like static noise at about 40 seconds in to Gimme Shelter which then goes away at 51 seconds. Anyone else's copy do this?

Why did it have to be on that track!? Why not on Let it Bleed or Country Honk!? erk!!! angry smiley

Posted by: Greenblues ()
Date: April 14, 2008 12:56

My item (CD) has exactly the same cover ("Let It Bleed Mono Edition", gatefold, reversed pic, bonus tracks etc.) But I can't remember any "Mecca" label on the CD.

Anyway, it sounds alright, but if you turn up the volume, the bass gets this kind of drone, that's not there on my stereo LP. There's something artificial about my mono CD, so I reckon the LP must sound much different still...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-04-14 13:01 by Greenblues.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: April 14, 2008 17:24

His Majesty
Why did it have to be on that track!? Why not on Let it Bleed or Country Honk!? erk!!! angry smiley

are you saying you don't like the track "Let It Bleed"??

I have a CD like this of Aftermath, and something ain't quite right about it, either. Has Dr. Ebbetts ever done any Stones LPs? His editions of Dylan and Who mono LPs are terrific, IMO.

Posted by: nanker phelge ()
Date: April 14, 2008 17:43

mofur
Darn it - just had a look at my original vinyl "Let It Bleed" and it is the stereo version *haaarrummmppphhhh*

Funny, the way they made them back then - with the little whole in the cover so you could see the colour of the innersleeve - blue for stereo and red for mono. Well.....mine was blue - boo-hoo angry smiley

Just checked- mines blue too

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: April 14, 2008 18:13

cc
His Majesty

are you saying you don't like the track "Let It Bleed"??

Yeah I don't like it, it just doesn't do anything for me I'm afraid.

If anything has to be wrong, I'd rather it wasn't during Gimme Shelter! The mono mix is killer, especially for Jaggers vocals, but I get this ferkin static type of sounds for a few seconds, argh!!!

Date: April 14, 2008 18:34

thats a shame about that cd....the mono vinyl is stunning sound....arguably the best sounding Stones record of all time....Brilliant, dark, bassy wall of sound smashing you in the face.....

JR

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: April 14, 2008 19:16

Damn! I gotta keep my eyes open for this one!

Date: April 14, 2008 20:48

[cgi.ebay.com]

Here ya go...

JR

Date: April 14, 2008 21:43

Thanks JR!

Date: April 14, 2008 22:03

By the way, I've seen a few CDs on ebay with the same bonus tracks listed above but no mention as to whether it ws mono or not. Is the Mecca version the only out with the bonus tracks as well as the mono mix?

Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: April 14, 2008 22:28

No the Mecca version is not the only one with bonus tracks , the Russian versions have them too , must get round to checking if they are the same mix as the Mecca ones.
Need to find them both to find out , if I find them tonight I'll get back to the thread .

Date: April 14, 2008 22:38

I have an old cd pirate of this...I think it may be the Russian one, not sure...all I have is a cd copy of it.
Regular LP in Mono--no bad noise on Shelter
Bonus Trax:
11. Honky Tonk Woman, alternate vox by MJ
12 Lovin Cup, common outtake
13. You Got the Silver MJ vox
14. Sister Morphine, early acoustic demo, quiet mix, Stereo
15. R&B version, Memo From Turner
16. Honky Tonk Woman, wide stereo mix, Richards guitar WAY up front, louder horns...from Time Trips, I think.

JR

Posted by: adotulipson ()
Date: April 14, 2008 23:11

I found the Russian and the Mecca versions now, there is some tape hiss on the Russian shelter.the bonus tracks do seem to be the same mix on both versions and are
stereo .

Posted by: turd ()
Date: April 15, 2008 01:01

Stone-Relics, do you know which is rarer - boxed or unboxed Decca LIB in mono ?

For what ever it's worth, I have the boxed Decca version, I think this is the latter pressing. As far as the mix goes, I would agree everthing appears to be more in your face. I am not sure though if it was actually a different mix than the stereo version - whereas Beggars Banquet in mono is a totally different mix.

Good luck to you hunters - I got mine off ebay a couple of years ago, not mint but plays ok and cost me £15. Not a bad days work.

I have to say though - I always did like the separation of the stereo mix.

Date: April 15, 2008 01:29

Boxed Monos are only months separated from the Open Decca (Label change was mid 69, so not much time to make very many Monos anyway, so likely the matrix is the same. For what its worth, I have a 1-A / 1-A matrix on "open Decca" label, and a 1-A / 2-A on my "boxed Decca". A variation does exist of one sided having boxed and the other is open.

JR

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: April 15, 2008 03:11

I have the Mecca edition(off ebay for 9.99) and I believe its just a straight transfer as you can hear the occasional vinyl noise but its excellent as far as my experience.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1612
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home