Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Dirty Work
Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 21, 2008 01:42

I never heard Winning Ulgy on the radio! I only ever heard Harlem Shuffle.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: February 21, 2008 02:01

Guðni Gunnarsson
Erik_Snow
I think Winning Ugly 12" was released in Canada only...

You're right. The 7" was also Canada only. Back To Zero was on the B-side.

The sticker on the front cover of Dirty Work claimed Winning Ugly as one of the "mean lean hits". Maybe WU was originally planned for a single in UK and USA.

Thanks Guðni, yes now I remember... there were plans for worldwide release, but somehow they rejected it.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 21, 2008 02:01

georgelicks
Guðni Gunnarsson
Erik_Snow

The sticker on the front cover of Dirty Work claimed Winning Ugly as one of the "mean lean hits". Maybe WU was originally planned for a single in UK and USA.

Winning Ugly was released as U.S radio promo single in April 1986, it reached #10 on Billboard's Mainstream Rock Tracks.

I've always thought it was just a rumor. Have you actually seen this single? It was also supposed to have a shorter promo version.

If it does exist it must be one of the rarest stones singles. Ever rarer than the US only Miss You/Too Tough.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-21 02:05 by Guðni Gunnarsson.

Date: February 21, 2008 18:48

Miss You/Too Tough? What was that, a Rewind promo? What was the B-side to Brown Sugar when they released that as the single to promote Rewind?

Date: February 21, 2008 20:04

skipstone
Miss You/Too Tough? What was that, a Rewind promo?

I'm not sure what it was and I don't know if it had anything to do with Rewind, it's very likely. But it wasn't a promo. I think it was the last Atlantic single and it came out in July '84 with the catalog number 7-99724.

skipstone
What was the B-side to Brown Sugar when they released that as the single to promote Rewind?

The b-side was Bitch. I think it was a UK only and it came out both as picture disc and regular single.

Date: February 21, 2008 22:23

I just had a loud listen in the truck of Dirty Work. I think what it is is if I'm listening to the other albums on a good basis then Dirty Work tends to pale. But since I've taken time off from listening to the Stones and I just drove around the lakefront listening to One Hit, Fight and Too Rude and Winning Ugly - I think I've found my new album to listen to for spring.

Winning Ugly IS good. The keyboards are a negative but overall it does kick. Much better than I recall.

Posted by: Four Stone Walls ()
Date: February 21, 2008 23:44

Splendid news - wishing you the newly discovered jpys of spring!

Springtime for Dirty Work. Nothing like it for clearing the cobwebs.

Date: February 22, 2008 19:46

Guðni Gunnarsson
georgelicks
Guðni Gunnarsson
Erik_Snow

Winning Ugly was released as U.S radio promo single in April 1986, it reached #10 on Billboard's Mainstream Rock Tracks.

I've always thought it was just a rumor. Have you actually seen this single? It was also supposed to have a shorter promo version.

If it does exist it must be one of the rarest stones singles. Ever rarer than the US only Miss You/Too Tough.

Back To Zero on B-side ? I remembered it to be just like Harlem SHuffle: A London Mix and a NY mix...
And yes; there's a rare 12" Winning Ugly with those 2 mixes. [eil.com]

Winning Ugly NY Mix is one of the few 80s remixes I haven't got on official record.

and another promo 12" here : [eil.com]

Date: February 22, 2008 20:55

A little misunderstanding.

I have the 12" and the 7" both with the same cartoon picture sleeve. The 12" is like the Harlem Shuffle 12" with the 2 great remixes IMO. But the 7" has the album version on A-side and Back To Zero on the B-side. Both are Canada only.

The thing I was wandering about if there was ever a 7" USA promo with a shorter version than the album version. I've heard about it but never actually seen it.

Date: February 22, 2008 21:04

Guðni Gunnarsson
A little misunderstanding.

I have the 12" and the 7" both with the same cartoon picture sleeve. The 12" is like the Harlem Shuffle 12" with the 2 great remixes IMO. But the 7" has the album version on A-side and Back To Zero on the B-side. Both are Canada only.

The thing I was wandering about if there was ever a 7" USA promo with a shorter version than the album version. I've heard about it but never actually seen it.

Aha, sorry my bad.

Date: February 22, 2008 21:06

I've been listening - sticking to it - to Dirty Work now for 2 days and I'm liking it more and more.

It's starting to remind me that...it's really not as bad as everyone thinks it is.

Well. For me anyway.

Date: February 27, 2008 00:47

Um, just out of curiosity - when is the last time anyone heard a Dirty Work track on FM radio? Ha ha, for me it was 1986. And for that matter, has anyone heard anything from XM or Sirius? I wonder if the Rolling Stones station ever played any Dirty Work tunes.

I can't recall if I have One Hit on a bootleg from the Steel Wheels tour but I thought it was cool that they were giving it a go. Sort of like how they gave a couple from Emotional Rescue a go on the Tattoo You tour - a sort of 2 album promotion...and they did do - did they do One Hit and Harlem Shuffle on the same nights? At least they stuck with Harlem Shuffle throughout the entire tour.

I wonder if they'll ever play anything from Dirty Work again. It sure would throw a nice kink into things if they did.

Date: February 27, 2008 01:01

I rarely listen to the radio but I heard One Hit (To The Body) on FM in 2004.

There's a very nice soundboard recording of One Hit on the boot Toronto'89. I also believe they played it a couple of times on the Voodoo Lounge tour.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: February 27, 2008 01:07

Well, reading this thread persuaded me to risk £5 on a copy of the notorious Dirty Work. I'm now on my fourth listen and like skipstone I'm enjoying it more and more each time. Of course it's an angry, angry record - but the opening one-two punch of One Hit and Fight is still a joy to hear, and I love Had It with You and Sleep Tonight. In between, there isn't any track I really hate (Back to Zero comes nearest, but I'm getting used to it...) I already knew Too Rude from the Winos' versions (which I prefer).

Oh yes, and you can add me to the list of people who enjoy Winning Ugly.

Date: February 27, 2008 01:08

Oh man! I wish I could have heard One Hit live on Voodoo! DAMMIT!

Keith did Too Rude on his Main Offender tour...uh. No wait. That was Words Of Wonder. He did Too Rude on the Talk Is Cheap tour which is on the live album. OK so that puts it at 3 total that I'm aware of ha ha....

Oh, funny thing, I actually have a live boot from the New Orleans Voodoo show...I think it was broadcast live on FM radio across the country...anyway, Mick is talking and says We're gonna do one from Black And Blue for ya now this one is called Duh Duh Duh Duh Duh Dooooo.......something like that, very very close to those exact words. Just hilarious. And...Heartbreaker was terrible. AUGH. Damn - that and Love Is Strong are just absolutely awful from that show. It's a wonder they...I dunno. Mick just groaned his way through Love Is Strong. Just a waste of time.

Date: February 27, 2008 01:11

One Hit hasn't been performed live since sometime in September 1989

Date: February 27, 2008 01:18

Oh man. Awright. That's lame. Not on Voodoo eh. When I saw that...MTV show thing they showed just a few seconds of them doing One Hit (I believe they were in Pittsburgh) and then they did, for the MTV show, Mixed Emotions (CLASSIC Ronnie getting totally LOST! in the song but great solo!!! HILARIOUS!).

So I had my tickets for the Silverdome and was thinking Ahhh! One Hit! ALRIGHT!

So...maybe not so many other fans but I was really hoping to hear it. Even if it stunk. Which I'm guessing is why they dropped it because it was pretty flat on that MTV bit...

Posted by: john r ()
Date: February 27, 2008 01:40

I never hear the 'deep catalog' Stones tracks (or anyone, really) I used to up to the '90s or so, especially on so called 'classic rock' radio. But following "Tattoo You" they continued to have hits the remainder of the decade. From Billboard's Hot 100:
'Undercover' # 9
'She Was Hot' # 44
'Harlem Suffle' # 5
'One Hit' # 28
'Mixed Emotions' # 5
'Rock and a Hard Place' # 23
By comparison, and it's hard to believe, but 'Wild Horses' (followup to # 1 Brown Sugar) peaked at # 28, 'It's Only Rock'n' Roll' (a warhorse) peaked at # 16, and 'Street Fighting Man' only reached # 48, due to lack of airplay.

Date: February 27, 2008 06:31

Billboard's Hot 100.

Is that radio play or single sales...or a combination of the two?

Date: February 27, 2008 10:53

skipstone
MTV show thing they showed just a few seconds of them doing One Hit
That was from the tour opening, wasn't it? I remember watching it.

Date: February 27, 2008 12:19

skipstone
So I had my tickets for the Silverdome and was thinking Ahhh! One Hit! ALRIGHT!

So...maybe not so many other fans but I was really hoping to hear it.

I wish they kept it in the setlist as well, there's a special edge to the performances of 'new songs'. The most interesting tracks to listen to at them 1989/1990 shows, is the Undercover/Dirty Work/Steel WHeels material.
So it's a shame when the newer material is being neglected after a few shows; One Hit 1989, Tops 1981, Back Of My Hand 2005, Dance Little SIster 1975, 100 Years Ago 1973...etc

Date: February 27, 2008 14:29

Erik_Snow
One Hit hasn't been performed live since sometime in September 1989

Sorry about that. I really thought they played it.

Think I originally saw it here [www.timeisonourside.com] but it's an error.

You're right. They never played it in '95.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: February 27, 2008 14:38

>> Think I originally saw it here [www.timeisonourside.com] but it's an error. <<

in that fine sitekeeper's defense (or something!) he actually has it listed only in 89 -
those lists are accurate, but the lines are way out of synch - i mean, you have to reformat the whole thing
in order to coax the years to line up properly with the song titles. i wonder if it looks right to Mac users

Posted by: David700 ()
Date: February 27, 2008 16:14

i have always been a fan, this was the first stones album i bought on CD and i have to buy a player too. i love this album, great guitars, great covers and great group photo in B&w that was a big poster that i have in my stones filled basement.

Date: February 27, 2008 18:00

On nzentgraf I see that One Hit was in the first handful of shows.

I thought that MTV show was live, not taped. On nzentrgraf it says it's taped from the Toronto show but I recall the broadcast - since I watched it - saying it was live from Pittsburgh, which was that night of the show.

Whatever.

One Hit was played the first 13 shows of the tour. And then for some reason (I know but I love to gripe about this song) Rock And A Hard Place was put in.

Date: February 28, 2008 13:47

i like about half of this album a lot. the othe half is 80's pop songs

Posted by: Orbit ()
Date: February 28, 2008 14:11

Er, I think if you check the right sources for much of the 1989 tour they were playing One Hit on the nights they didn't play Harlem Shuffle, although it seems One Hit wasn't played at all after 15 Nov.

Example: of the two Shea Stadium shows I saw (Oct 28/29) they played
One Hit, Angie & Little Red Rooster on the 28th, whereas on the 29th they replaced them with Harlem Shuffle, Play With Fire and Dead Flowers, even back then I was quite pleased with the variation between the nights!

Play With Fire was really good, wish they'd do it again.

Rock and a Hard Place was played both nights.

Date: February 28, 2008 18:51

Actually for the first 13 or so shows they were playing Harlem Shuffle and One Hit.

Then they dropped One Hit for quite some time. And like you said, they played it on October 28th again.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: February 28, 2008 23:39

They did 'One Hit' in Toronto in 1989 (September, CNE), but when they came back to do the Skydome showsin December, it was dropped for more Steel Wheel stuff (Terrifying was great). Makes sense as it was a flat moment in the show.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Jocke ()
Date: February 28, 2008 23:43

Sleep Tonight is AMAZING, really!

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1622
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home