Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Emotional Rescue
Posted by: Jamirow ()
Date: February 16, 2008 23:34

Was ER ever played live? Any links to hearing/ seeing it if so? My stones trivia is substandard I know!

Thanks

Re: Emotional Rescue
Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: February 16, 2008 23:39

Never played.

Live debutes and last appearances: [rocksoff.org]

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 16, 2008 23:47

I've often wondered how it would go over live. I bet the reason they don't and ever won't is because of, from what I read, people laughing and imitating Mick on Fool To Cry during that tour.

Imagine an entire stadium cooing duing ER while Mick is trying to be serious?

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: February 16, 2008 23:56

Their only Top 3 hit never played live, incredible.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: February 16, 2008 23:59

georgelicks
I'm not surprised - dreadful song! Their worst ever single imho.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: February 17, 2008 00:14

I'm sure they could play it, and I really wish they would. Mick managed the falsetto quite magnificently on Worried About You on the Licks tour.

Worst single, Deltics? Come off it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-17 00:14 by Nikolai.

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: February 17, 2008 00:36

Deltics
georgelicks
I'm not surprised - dreadful song! Their worst ever single imho.

I could think in about 10 worst singles than ER, including the 3 singles from the ABB album.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: February 17, 2008 00:40

I love it - playful lyric & vocal, slinky rhythm with great bass from Ron Wood and Charlie playing those catchy, funky patterns...I imagine it's so not a guitar song that playing it live would be, what Mick on piano (much fleshed out by Leavell) Darryl not quite bringing Wood's finesse, and Charlie hearing some programmed part a second and a half late...Keith posturing with his guitar, back to the audience, who cant quite hear the little guitar fills from the record...I dig the last minute or two especially, with Bobby Keys and (Ron's?) guitar doing that funky dialog thang as Charlie gets frisky, too bad they didn't let it groove on another minute or so......Also, Mick at 65 prolly couldn't sustain the falsetto vocals for much of the song's six minutes...Which reminds me of the '89 "Undercover" where you hear the main riff but neither Keith nor Ron is touching his guitar. I haven't heard any versions from the last tour, but Unless they radically rearranged it there was too much programming involved (in '89 - 90) - the original had all that synthetic drumming for drama added, a big sonic widescreen production, and those harsh
FX over the killer Wyman bass figures and great guitar riffing and soloing...

Date: February 17, 2008 07:22

I like the unedtied version of ER on that mostly ER boot, what, Static In The Attic. One of the best sounding studio boots I've ever heard - of ANY body.

Posted by: inopeng ()
Date: February 17, 2008 08:28

john r
I love it - playful lyric & vocal, slinky rhythm with great bass from Ron Wood and Charlie playing those catchy, funky patterns...I imagine it's so not a guitar song that playing it live would be, what Mick on piano (much fleshed out by Leavell) Darryl not quite bringing Wood's finesse, and Charlie hearing some programmed part a second and a half late...Keith posturing with his guitar, back to the audience, who cant quite hear the little guitar fills from the record...I dig the last minute or two especially, with Bobby Keys and (Ron's?) guitar doing that funky dialog thang as Charlie gets frisky, too bad they didn't let it groove on another minute or so......Also, Mick at 65 prolly couldn't sustain the falsetto vocals for much of the song's six minutes...Which reminds me of the '89 "Undercover" where you hear the main riff but neither Keith nor Ron is touching his guitar. I haven't heard any versions from the last tour, but Unless they radically rearranged it there was too much programming involved (in '89 - 90) - the original had all that synthetic drumming for drama added, a big sonic widescreen production, and those harsh
FX over the killer Wyman bass figures and great guitar riffing and soloing...

So well put...especially recognizing Bobby's great work and wishing the end groove would have gone on longer...

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: February 17, 2008 08:30

I've always thought the inspiration/influence
on this song was Marvin Gaye's Got To Give It Up.

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: February 17, 2008 08:52

I love this song

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: February 17, 2008 09:42

tomk
I've always thought the inspiration/influence
on this song was Marvin Gaye's Got To Give It Up.

interesting. never thought of that but could be. especially the extended version of got to give it up with the sax solo.

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: February 17, 2008 15:26

...Not in the Rolling stone's style but a great single...

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 17, 2008 15:29

Not much guitar - maybe that's why no live.

Nothing for Keith and Ron to do but pose and wave ..... hey, they're pretty good at that.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: CharliMoon ()
Date: February 17, 2008 15:56

I really like ER, Mick's falsetto is damn good and Charlie's drum play is very...well, somewhat "catchy", know what I mean?

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: February 18, 2008 03:28

I cant get the image out of my head of the boys performing this song(no instruments) like The Temptations with matching sharkskin suits! Always cracks me up!

Posted by: Glass Slide ()
Date: February 18, 2008 03:33

Will always have a place in my heart for this tune and agree that if they could do Worried About You, they could have done this also. It would have worked well during Licks or '81.

Date: February 18, 2008 18:38

How about the album - would it have been better if Hang Fire, Little T&A and, uh, No Use In Crying was on it?

YES.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: February 19, 2008 12:26

NO the album ER is perfect as it is. It doesn't need any of those songs (least of all WAY which has a magnificent home of its own as the kick-off for side 2 of TY).

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: February 19, 2008 13:34

I wonder what that guy with a strange name has to say about this album? I mean the NME reviewer who bashed SOME GIRLS but (partly) praised DIRTY WORK. Logie?

- Doxa

Posted by: iamthedj ()
Date: February 19, 2008 18:29

This album would be vastly improved by the exclusion of the boring "Summer Romance" and the truly embarassing "Where The Boys All Go". For me, every other track is a winner.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 19, 2008 19:06

Doxa
I wonder what that guy with a strange name has to say about this album? I mean the NME reviewer who bashed SOME GIRLS but (partly) praised DIRTY WORK. Logie?

- Doxa

Dont think it was Charles Shaar Murray who reviewed Emotional Rescue in the NME but I do remember whoever reviewed it basically saying that the only 3 good songs on it were Down in The Hole, Shes so Cold and either Dance or Let me Go, and that All About You was 'wretched'.

Emotional Rescue wouldnt have worked well at all in concert. Unlike Worried About You, not enough guitars, its too long and Jagger couldnt consistently hit those notes in concert (more of the song is falsetto than WAY is, and nowadays he gets round the high notes problem by yelling it. He couldnt do that with ER)

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: February 19, 2008 19:19

I love "Where The Boys All Go"! Real tongue in cheek and great rythmn....

Date: February 19, 2008 19:32

ER is a springtime album for me. Just as much so as The Cult's Sonic Temple. At least I associate ER with spring - a friend of mine had it and played it that spring (?) or, well, the following springs thereafter. So that's where it sits with me. As goofy as some of it is, like Send It To Me and Where The Boys All Go and the swampiness of Down In A Hole, it's good car washing music, hanging outside music, etc...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1600
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home