Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Kanye West
Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: February 15, 2008 01:11

I'm a great fan of his. His imagination and intelligence, his music, his urge to speak his mind politically, the way he took charge on the Grammy Show and told them to stop the music while he was speaking of his late mother. etc. As Hendrix used to say, "it's good to show a little fire."

Any other pros or cons out there?

Re: OT: Kanye West
Posted by: nellcote'71 ()
Date: February 15, 2008 01:43

con

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: February 15, 2008 01:47

I like Kanye and his music.

Posted by: sarahunwin ()
Date: February 15, 2008 01:51

He's going on tour - tickets on sale any minute! Should be fun, I'm going to try for San Jose.

Posted by: fiftyamp ()
Date: February 15, 2008 02:47

Seen him open up at giants stadium a few years back. Was not impressed.

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: February 15, 2008 02:58

Pro, very CREATIVE and breaks new ground often - have his CD's - like his work...

Date: February 15, 2008 03:25

.....He will be at Bonnaroo this year......I can't wait.......I just heard Chris Rock will be there too, what a hoot.

Posted by: chelskeith ()
Date: February 15, 2008 03:27

I thought the comment Vince Gill made at Kanye was hilarious- anyone remember the exact wording?

Posted by: cc ()
Date: February 15, 2008 04:29

not exact, but I think it was: "I just got an award from a Beatle [ringo]. ... Have you had that happen yet, Kanye?"

it gently mocked Kanye's self-important public persona, which I'm quite con on.

I haven't heard all that much, but I think I'm fairly pro as a producer of other people's stuff, like Common, but definitely con as a performer. His frontman work at the Grammys was terrible, though the backing tracks were ok, I guess. I prefer hip hop when it doesn't weakly adopt other genres, particularly those that call for singing. He can't rap and he really can't sing.

Posted by: atip ()
Date: February 15, 2008 04:38

I wouldn't piss on him if he were on fire.

Date: February 15, 2008 05:09

....that would be a "con."

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: February 15, 2008 07:05

Are we really talking about a rapper on a Stones site...? Keith will be pissed, Mick doesnt read this, and Brian is doing back flips in his grave....

Oh well..put another Mac tape on the Nak...

JR

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: February 15, 2008 08:37

Kanye West was asked to-- and got paid quite well-- to open for the Stones not so long ago.

Posted by: dixiecup ()
Date: February 15, 2008 13:26

thumbs down

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: February 15, 2008 15:57

He opened for U2 also on their last tour...that should start up the 'cons'!

I don't like rap, I really don't like this guy. The constant idiotic statements just to get attention, like he should be in the bible ("I changed the sound of music more than one time... For all those reasons, I'd be a part of the Bible. I'm definitely in the history books already."), and how he's better than everyone else who creates original music, even though he generally talks/yells over other peoples music for a living.

I will say this though, I found the lyrics to that song he sang about his mom interesting ("I saw you in my dreams last night, now I can't wait to go to sleep"), although his attempt at singing wouldn't pass the first round of American Idol.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 15, 2008 16:07

Kanye or can't he? He can't. He sucks. He's just as good (bad) as any other with exception to Snoop and Dre.

Aside from thinking those two are somewhat cool, 'c'rap "music" is just talentless mind numbing babble. You can talk about the poetry, the writing - I would have no problem with any of it, even the niggas and bitches and ho's and all that - if it weren't for the fact that 101% of it can't be understood.

I severly doubt that Can't He, I mean Kanye, was asked by The Rolling Stones...maybe he was asked by Mick Jagger...but I can't see The Rolling Stones asking him - or anyone else from that 'genre' - it doesn't fit at all.

Posted by: aslecs ()
Date: February 15, 2008 16:08

total drivel

Posted by: chelskeith ()
Date: February 15, 2008 16:46

First time I ever heard the guy open his mouth was at his grammy speech. They started the music on him about 90 seconds into what he figured would be a 5 min monologue and he immediately said "dont start the music on me"- when he started talking about his mom, he told them it was disrespectful to be playing the music and they appropriately stopped- but if he wanted to focus on his mother, he should have stuck with that.

This guy, the little that I know, epitomizes everything I hate about (C) Rap and HipHop..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-02-20 05:49 by chelskeith.

Posted by: WMiller ()
Date: February 15, 2008 16:58

chelskeith
First time I ever heard the guy open his mouth was at his grammy speech. They started the music on him about 90 seconds into what he figured would be a 5 min monologue and he immediately said "dont start the music on me"- when he started talking about his mom, he told them it was disrespectful to be playing the music and they appropriately stopped- but if he wanted to focus on his mother, he should have stuck with that.

This guy, the little that I know, epitomizes everything I hate about (C) Rap and HipHop..

After hearing statements like

"This is MY award",

"I'd like to say something to Mark Ronson and Amy Winehouse, if you dont get to get up here for Album of the year, you deserve it... I deserve it too".

I'm surprised he fit that head in through the double door.

I went back and looked the Vince Gill clip on U Tube- it was hilarious - here is this big country bumpkin, with a hot normal looking wife, walking towards the stage and he glances at Row 1 to make sure his target is in position. He steps on stage, gets his award from Ringo, and he stops for a moment and innocently says ...

"I just got an award given to me by a Beatle"

He smiles, everyone chuckles, he looks around, his wife smiles, then he looks at Kayne and sarcastically says..

"Have you had that happen to you yet..Kayne?!"

Everyone laughs, including Kayne, which just proves how un cool the dude is, he just got ripped and he laughs at himself because he isnt quick enough to relaize what just was said.

Then Vince says "Just Kidding", which proves it was a major dig, and a premeditated one if you ask me.

I've never listened to either of those guys music, but I sure have a hell of a lot more respect for VG after standing up to that dude.

John

Late-breaking news:

Nashville, Tennessee - Country singer/songwriter Vince Gill was found dead in his car early Friday morning, from apparent gunshot wounds. Vince dissed HipHop/R&B artist Kanye West at the Grammy Awards Sunday evening. That withstanding, a police department spokesperson says that there are no known suspects, but an investigation is under way.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: February 15, 2008 17:02

skipstone
Aside from thinking those two are somewhat cool, 'c'rap "music" is just talentless mind numbing babble. You can talk about the poetry, the writing - I would have no problem with any of it, even the niggas and bitches and ho's and all that - if it weren't for the fact that 101% of it can't be understood.

this is a direct quote from when--1987? You can read what I think of Kanye West above, but there's nothing gangsta about his material--or his image. He's a preppie! His latest album is titled Graduation. The previous one was Late Registration... hardly an NWA.

trying to talk about hip hop here is like trying to talk about taylor/wood. The same ignorant, extreme opinions get trotted regardless of the context.

Date: February 15, 2008 17:04

fiftyamp
Seen him open up at giants stadium a few years back. Was not impressed.

That was less than 17 months ago.

Posted by: harlito1969 ()
Date: February 15, 2008 17:50

As much as this guy had going for him in his life he should be alot smarter than he sounds. His mother was extremely intelligent and gave him a great life. The guy lived in China as a young boy. The lists goes on with the opportunities he has had. And yet he comes out sounding like a big headed idiot all the time. You gotta back up those words and I think he falls short.There is no denying that he has some talent but not alot. He is a perfect example of the saying, "10% talent and 90% attitude". But there is another saying - "talent will out". He will not be remember like he thinks will be remembered.

Date: February 15, 2008 17:51

I was stating about overall rap, not Kanye. But comparing his..."peroformance" to that of unclear...ah, hard to understand gangsta rap - Kanye might have been reciting Fly Me To The Moon for all I know.

Vince Gill is one hell of a guitar player actually. In fact, he's an awesome guitar player.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: February 15, 2008 18:19

I often pass by an inner city billboard with his image and a bottle of Absolut Vodka in front of him. I think they are sponsoring his tour. However the ad mentions nothing of it. Just promoting Vodka to inner city kids. By the way it is across the street from a charter school for kids.

Never listened to his music.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: February 15, 2008 18:25

Love his song Jesus Walks. I didn't think he did too bad at Foxboro opening for the boys, but he was no Black Eyed Peas. I did feel sorry for him though because no one was clappin for him and I even heard a few boos. Highly unappropriate I think even if you're not a fan.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 15, 2008 18:28

A gold digger.

Prefer Snoop or Outkasst if I'm gonna listen to rap (which ain't too often). now where's my copy of Sticky Fingers?

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: February 15, 2008 18:29

Well, if you pay money and don't like someone, you have every goddamn right to boo.

What did you think of Prince?

Posted by: WMiller ()
Date: February 15, 2008 18:34

Kanye West, featuring Mike Myers -

Posted by: cosmoprim ()
Date: February 15, 2008 19:00

Firstly (as some of you already know), I love hip hop - I grew up on it.

That said, I think Kanye West is crap. I think he's a sissypants prima donna who (for some reason) is portrayed as a "true artist".

Total garbage. No one outside of your family with a brain in their head gives a good goddamn that your momma's dead, you're just not that important, ya @#$%&' crybaby.

He's on the list of celebrities who, if I saw them on the street, I would kick them repeatedly in the groin until they threw up.

Date: February 15, 2008 19:19

cosmoprim you made me @#$%& LAUGH!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2089
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home