Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
How many times have the Stones........
Posted by: Des ()
Date: February 13, 2008 19:20

How many times have the stones stopped a song flat out durring play.

I know they have their issues but at the Vancouver BtoB, for the audience computer pick they played Under My Thumb. When it got to the point of a keyboard solo for Chuck L. he came off very quiet, he stopped playing giving a turn it up gesture with his hand, after a couple of seconds he approaches the keyboard again and when he hit the keys the roof almost came off the place, he throws his arms up and makes a 'shut it down' jesture to Chalie who just quits leaving the rest of the band looking around for answers. Probably the only time I've seen this from any band in 52 years.

So is this common?

Re: How many times have the Stones........
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 13, 2008 19:24

Havent listened to the recording for quite a while, but I seem to remember 'Let It Bleed'' at the opening 1981 show in Philadelphia being such a trainwreck they stopped it. Maybe someone who was there can confirm it.

Posted by: RollingStonesFan ()
Date: February 13, 2008 20:50

Love Is Strong at Toronto, 1994

Posted by: No Expectations ()
Date: February 13, 2008 21:08

Connection In Oakland in 2006 was a complete train wreck. Didn't exactly stop the song but Keith never made it passed the first verse and just wrapped it up fast and moved on.

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: February 13, 2008 21:13

Altamont, immediately comes to mind....Sympathy for the Devil and Under My Thumb had to be started over, but no the fault of the band.....blame it on the Angels...
Also, Keith's Dobro was so out of Tune during Prodigal Son, that he just cut it.

JR

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: February 13, 2008 21:15

Hi Des. I was at the Vancouver show but I don't recall that happening. I do remember UMT was the internet pick though.

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: February 13, 2008 21:51

I don't know if they entirely chucked it but I think I recall reading "Anybody Seen My Baby" being a disaster in one of the opening BTB shows.

"I'll be in my basement room with a needle and a spoon."

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: February 13, 2008 21:59

"It's All Over Now" gets restarted at one of the 1995 Paradiso shows, presumably because it was being recorded for Stripped, although it never got used anyway.

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: February 13, 2008 22:06

Does Shattered during the Steel Wheels opening show count?

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: February 13, 2008 22:12

msg NY NY....''i just wanna make love to you''Jagger was pissed of

Posted by: inopeng ()
Date: February 13, 2008 22:44

The guitars went out during Satisfacton in Chicago, 1994...Mick and Charlie kept going...

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: February 13, 2008 22:54

There was an interview with Keith in which he stated that when they were playing Can't You Hear Me Knocking? during one of the '71 shows it went so terribly bad that they had to stop in the middle of the song. However, there is no recording that could proove this nor the fact they played CYHMK during '71 tour.

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: February 13, 2008 23:21

franzk
There was an interview with Keith in which he stated that when they were playing Can't You Hear Me Knocking? during one of the '71 shows it went so terribly bad that they had to stop in the middle of the song. However, there is no recording that could proove this nor the fact they played CYHMK during '71 tour.

According to Bill they played CYHMK in Newcastle march 4th 1971, the first gig on the small "farewell" tour in '71. Never heard any boot from that show.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 14, 2008 00:12

ROLLINGSTONE
I don't know if they entirely chucked it but I think I recall reading "Anybody Seen My Baby" being a disaster in one of the opening BTB shows.

It was pretty much a disaster for the whole tour. I love the studio version, but it must rank as the most consistently poorly performed song of their entire career. I think the Bremen version that was televised was about the only time i remember hearing a decent version of it.

I dont think they ever stopped the song while playing it, but it very often threatened to stop the show in its tracks...!

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: February 14, 2008 01:00

The biggest mess I ever heard(although they didnt stop it) is "LSTNT" off of Knebworth fair 76!! Its laughable and Keith and the boys keep playing the song no matter what lines Jagger tries to sing!

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: February 14, 2008 01:22

I can't imagine the Stones stopping a song once they've started. I'm sure they have as some here mention, but I've never seen it. I've always felt that the Stones are against doing that...as a sign of unprofessionalism. If they start a song...they finish it: good or bad. I can't see Charlie being dignified as he is--stopping a song right in the middle and picking it up again.

But I would love to hear that example of UMT that was mentioned....

Posted by: Domonkos ()
Date: February 14, 2008 01:59

Zeltweg 1995, end of SFTD! LOL all over the stage!

Posted by: scaffer ()
Date: February 14, 2008 02:13

'You Gotta Move,' in Berlin, I think 1970. A large part of the crowd was jeering because, apparently, they wanted 'Rock n' Roll!', but others in the audience responded by loudly applauding the song. However, as the jeering increased, Keith ended it after the second verse.

Mick then made a humorous remark to the effect of 'Glad you enjoyed that one,' and they played something upbeat. It was a VERY raucous crowd.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: February 14, 2008 02:16

It's funny when they stop before they get really started; as they never get it together...@#$%& in Oshawa 1979 is nearly falling apart...but is miraculously saved. They had to restart Midnight Rambler in Seattle 72; but....there are more examples..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-14 02:24 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: Harry ()
Date: February 14, 2008 02:34

Gimmie shelter in Wembley 1999

Date: February 14, 2008 02:38

happy or btmmr paradiso 1995

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: February 14, 2008 02:42

Harry
Gimmie shelter in Wembley 1999

I've heard this and I always see people mentioning this but always thought it was made bigger than it was. Keith fumbles through the opening riff, stops a second and tries it again. I never found it to be a big deal.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: February 14, 2008 03:30

I would imagine many many shows in the early years, with all the screaming girl riots, had songs that were shut down in mid-play.
Man, would it have been cool to be at one of those shows!

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: February 14, 2008 04:27

During JJF at one of the '81 Pontiac shows when Keith and Ronnie near the end joins Mick on 'Jumpin' Jack flash,...' everyone stops playing which leaves Keith & Ronnie singing a capella for a brief moment.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 14, 2008 04:31

leaves Keith & Ronnie singing a capella for a brief moment

YEAH that's like rivets up da backbone ain't it....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: February 14, 2008 04:58

LOL...yes it is...or as you've said before 'they sounded as zonked out crows'

Posted by: Ruby Friday ()
Date: February 14, 2008 10:38

"Sweet Virgina" in Stockholm, Globen 2003, they had to stop it, because Mick couldn't get his harmonica out of its pocket, very funny to see standing in second row fram the stage (just a small Japanees in front of me)

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: February 14, 2008 10:56

sweet virginia basel (switzerland) VL-tour 1995. keith fuc.ked up the intro and just started again (no big deal)

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: February 14, 2008 10:59

Plenty of what you might call "false starts"..but they usually just blag their way through ;^)

Posted by: skelly ()
Date: February 14, 2008 11:08

Keith chucked it during Start Me Up on the B stage at Hampden Park on the last tour when his amp stopped working.

He kicked the amp, gave his roadie a bit of abuse, then did a little dance while the band finished the song.

The radio broadcast that came out of this show covered it up nicely though by overdubbing or replacing the entire song.

I think I've bust a button on my trousers....

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2440
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home