Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Sort of OT: Ahhh, those "B" sides of 45s in the 60s
Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: February 9, 2008 20:40

This thread will be most enjoyed by those of you over 40, who remember those days of going to the local Woolworth's, Rose's, or J.C. Penney's to buy singles in the 60s, that always cost a dollar or less. You always hoped that they still had a few of the copies with the picture sleeves instead of just the plain white sleeve.

A lot of "B" sides of hit singles were just OK. You played them three or four times, and then from that point on only played the hit on the "A" side.

However, in my life there were major exceptions, where both songs were so fantastic that you pretty much had a single with TWO "A" sides. Those 45s where you played each side one right after the other, and never one without the other.

Obvious example of the Stones: "She's a Rainbow" b/w "2000 Light Years from Home"
Doors: "Light My Fire" b/w "Crystal Ship"
Beatles: Too many to name, almost all of them, but especially:
"I Want to Hold Your Hand" b/w "I Saw Her Standing There"
"A Hard Day's Night" b/w "I Should Have Known Better"
"Penny Lane" b/w "Strawberry Fields Forever"
"Hey Jude" b/w "Revolution

And, almost ashamed to admit it, but:
Monkees: "I'm a Believer" b/w "I'm Not Your Stepping Stone"

All leading up to my question:

What was a 45 that you enjoyed back then that had a "B" side that was just as important as the "hit" song on the other side?

Re: Sort of OT: Ahhh, those "B" sides of 45s in the 60s
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 9, 2008 21:07

HTWomen/You Can't Always ..... is a pretty good one! thumbs up

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: February 9, 2008 21:07

Oh yeah - JJF/Child Of The Moon

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: February 9, 2008 21:11

GOOD examples.....I always thought "Child of the Moon" was one of the all time neglected Stones songs.

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: February 9, 2008 22:08

I'm too young to remember these times but I think Elvis's single Hound Dog / Don't Be Cruel is one of the best singles of all time. Both songs give me chills when I listen to them today. Can't imagine how it could be to listen to it when it first came out.

Re: Sort of OT: Ahhh, those "B" sides of 45s in the 60swinking smiley
Date: February 9, 2008 22:54

I was born in 1955. My parents tell me that when I was very little I used to stand in front of a mirror with a little plastic toy Roy Rogers guitar and sing "Hound Dog."

This is worse:

When I the Beatles and Stones came out in 1964 (I was nine years old), I would spread small pillows out on the floor and "play" them, pretending they were drums and cymbals. Probably also pretended that the girls that I was sweet on in the 3rd grade were also in the room (the chair, the table, the lamp, etc.)

Now if THAT ain't weird......

Probably explains why to this day I have this uncontrollable urge to hang out at furniture stores.

(....just kidding.....)

Date: February 9, 2008 23:00

Don't worry, Goose, playing air guitar/drums/singing in the shower to current/former/dream lovers is a common fantasy.

I was one of the best broomstick players ever. Keith even said he had the moves down before he got his first guitar!

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: February 9, 2008 23:02

As a kid I loved this one -

The Archies "Sugar, Sugar"/"Jingle Jangle"

Another Archies favorite - "Bang Shang A Lang"

Ah, the bubblegum days! smiling bouncing smiley

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: February 9, 2008 23:02

Glad to hear I'm in good company, Elmo!

(Hey....do you think Plant & Krauss are coming to Atlanta? If so....Fox Theatre, or Chastain?)

Date: February 9, 2008 23:06

Pretty sure they're at Bonnaroo - hopefully Atlanta.

Are you going to see Springsteen or Tom Petty? Have you been to the new ampitheatre in Alpharetta?

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: February 9, 2008 23:12

Tom Petty was one of those bands that I really wanted to see in the 80s.....saw 'em, had a good time, but decided I really didn't need to see again. I'd love to see Springsteen again, but it's just a matter of seeing him twice already (78 Darkness on Edge of Town tour, and 80s Born in the USA), and not really having the bucks to spend.

I'm sure I'll eventually get out to Alpharetta....could you believe that they have now added a FOURTH show for the Eagles? I still don't see what all the fuss is about, even after all these years.

I'm saving my concert money for: a. Led Zep reunion....yeah, right, not holding my breath on that one, but I can always hope b. Plant & Krauss, hopefully at an Atlanta show c. Ray Davies and/or a Kinks reunion

I understand Ringo is coming around again sometime soon. I've seen Paul twice and George once, guess I could go and say I've seen 3/4 of the Beatles, huh?

Date: February 9, 2008 23:20

Sounds like we've seen a lot of the same ones (maybe at the same shows).

Saw Petty in the early 90's and really enjoyed. My son (13) is a big fan so we'll probably try to go see him this summer. Steve Winwood is opening.

Definitely going to see Bruce (my 4th time) in April. I really like the new CD, especially "Girls In Their Summer Clothes". Would have loved to have seen that Darkness tour. Was it at the Fox or the old Omni?

Saw Eagles and solo Henley. Ringo once and Paul 3 times. Ringo was at Chastain with a really good All-Starr band that year (Nils Lofgren, Joe Walsh, Dave Edmunds, Timothy B. Schmit, Burton Cummings, Tood Rungdren, and Zax Starkey). Lots of fun.

Never saw Zep, but did see Page and Paul Rodgers with the Firm. Not such a great show. No Zep or Bad Co.

Plant and Krause would be excellent.

Oh yeah, Lukester, 5 string, and myself are gonna take in a Braves game this spring. Join us if ya can.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Date: February 9, 2008 23:25

Braves game would be great!

The 78 Springsteen show I saw was at the Boston Garden, beginning of my soph year at Berklee.

I'm trying to talk a friend of mine into heading over to Birmingham for the Plant & Krauss show there at the end of April.

I guess I'm feeling my age right now, but, with the exception of a few artists here and there (would very much love to see Los Lobos, one heckuva band), there's really just not a lot of folks I would shell out a hundred bucks to see right now.

Be right back....gotta find my Metamucil......

Posted by: JK ()
Date: February 9, 2008 23:27

A side was the hit. B was the interesting very often non album track.

Date: February 9, 2008 23:27

Cool. The only real big (living) act that I would like to see that I haven't is ZZ Top. And, of course, Zep if that happens.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: February 10, 2008 00:48

monkees B side "The Girl I knew Somewhere" of "A LIttle Bit Me A Little Bit You".

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 10, 2008 00:49

Mongoose
This thread will be most enjoyed by those of you over 40, who remember those days of going to the local Woolworth's, Rose's, or J.C. Penney's to buy singles in the 60s, that always cost a dollar or less. You always hoped that they still had a few of the copies with the picture sleeves instead of just the plain white sleeve.

A lot of "B" sides of hit singles were just OK. You played them three or four times, and then from that point on only played the hit on the "A" side.

However, in my life there were major exceptions, where both songs were so fantastic that you pretty much had a single with TWO "A" sides. Those 45s where you played each side one right after the other, and never one without the other.

Obvious example of the Stones: "She's a Rainbow" b/w "2000 Light Years from Home"
Doors: "Light My Fire" b/w "Crystal Ship"
Beatles: Too many to name, almost all of them, but especially:
"I Want to Hold Your Hand" b/w "I Saw Her Standing There"
"A Hard Day's Night" b/w "I Should Have Known Better"
"Penny Lane" b/w "Strawberry Fields Forever"
"Hey Jude" b/w "Revolution

All leading up to my question:

What was a 45 that you enjoyed back then that had a "B" side that was just as important as the "hit" song on the other side?

All good examples you mentioned but to name few

It’s Only Rock And Roll / Through The Lonely Nights

Respectable / When The Whip Comes Down

Shattered / Everything Is Turning To Gold

Waiting On A Friend / Little T&A

You Got Me Rocking / Jump On Top Of Me

Date: February 10, 2008 03:20

Good calls, GG.

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: February 10, 2008 03:30

cool thread Mongoose. i remember as very young kid buying 'time is my side' single and finding 'congratulations' on the other side. then i bought "12 x 5" LP and didn't see find it there. that was the very first time i realized there was such a thing as a 'b' side that would not make it on to an album.
i played the shite out of both sides of that single. and later on down the line when 'everything is turning to gold' came out as a 'b' side, i knew to keep an eye out for such gems. the stones were the first band that hipped me to this kind of thing.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 10, 2008 04:16

ROCKMAN

Posted by: jabhead ()
Date: February 10, 2008 05:09

I always dug "Sad Day" The B side to 19th Nervous I think... or maybe it was get off my cloud

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: February 10, 2008 06:46

Anybody remember these two?:

Don and Juan's "What's Your Name?", with B side "Chicken Necks"?????

I also think Ricky Nelson had "Hello Mary Lou" and "Travelin' Man" on one 45.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: February 10, 2008 08:20

Mongoose

I've never understood people's aversion to owning Monkees records.
I'm a huge fan. Great records, great TV show, way ahead of its time. A few clunkers here and there, but who hasn't had some of those?
There's so much more to the Monkees music and story than meets the eye an ear.
I'm a huge Nesmith fan (so perhaps I'm biased), but he's certainly one of
the true founders of the country-rock genre, much more so than Gram Parsons,
and I'm a a Parsons fan, so no letters, please. It's Parsons' death
and hanging out with Keith that gets him the headlines.
AS for B-sides, the big Monkees B-side is Goin' Down,
the flip side of Daydream Believer (Plas Johnson on sax).

Re: Sort of OT: Ahhh, those "B" sides of 45s in the 60swinking smiley
Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: February 10, 2008 08:49

Mongoose
I was born in 1955. My parents tell me that when I was very little I used to stand in front of a mirror with a little plastic toy Roy Rogers guitar and sing "Hound Dog."

This is worse:

When I the Beatles and Stones came out in 1964 (I was nine years old), I would spread small pillows out on the floor and "play" them, pretending they were drums and cymbals. Probably also pretended that the girls that I was sweet on in the 3rd grade were also in the room (the chair, the table, the lamp, etc.)

Now if THAT ain't weird......

Trust me it Ain't!

By the way...Best B - side ever? Under Assistant West Coast Promotion Man!...by far!
Why?....Because my band plays abour 11 different versions of the song and 95% of our crowd doesn't realize it's a cover song.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: February 10, 2008 09:46

LSTNT and Ruby Tuesday - literally a double A side!

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: February 10, 2008 12:33

T. Rex was another band who often had great non-album tracks as b-sides to their singles, sometimes even two (so those singles were in fact 3 track EP's), and in some cases those b-side tracks were not a single bit weaker than the a-side hits, some even argue that they were even better.

Posted by: Glam Descendant ()
Date: February 11, 2008 09:09

My favorite Beatles song was a b-side: "Don't Let Me Down". (And I'd rather hear "The Inner Light" over "Lady Madonna" any day of the week; ditto "Rain" over "Paperback Writer".)

It wasn't the 60s but Prince had a string of fantastic b-sides in the 80s.

>T. Rex was another band who often had great non-album tracks as b-sides to their singles

"Cadillac"! "Raw Ramp" is another good one.

Posted by: highanddry ()
Date: February 11, 2008 13:54

Glam Descendant
It wasn't the 60s but Prince had a string of fantastic b-sides in the 80s.

"1999" b/w "How Come You Don't Call Me Anymore" was a killer single.

My two favorite double-sided 45s from the 60s are "Mother's Little Helper" b/w "Lady Jane", and the Beatles "Rain" b/w "Paperback Writer"

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: February 11, 2008 14:00

Glam Descendant
My favorite Beatles song was a b-side: "Don't Let Me Down". (And I'd rather hear "The Inner Light" over "Lady Madonna" any day of the week; ditto "Rain" over "Paperback Writer".)

Agree, and even though I like The Ballad of John & Yoko I think Harrison´s Old Brown Shoe is a very good b-side.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 11, 2008 17:44

I'm a bit younger but do have a couple - I was dying to hear Through The Lonely Nights and finally found the single. Of course, I ignored the A-side, never bothered with it.

And then Rarities came out and now it sounds stellar.

Also...She Was Hot b/w Think I'm Going Mad. Again, ignored the A-side...and then got a good CD boot with that tune on it.

Couldn't find the CD single for Mixed Emotions but did manage to find the 45 so I could listen to Fancyman Blues.

Also before they came out on CD I managed to obtain all of The Cult's singles and EPs with the b-sides and non-LP session tracks that were so good. Back when vinyl actually meant something. Not that it doesn't now but because some things were hard to find on CD then.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1261
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home