Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Was 75 tour better than 72
Date: February 3, 2008 22:04

Beeley baby YOU'VE GOT MAIL.

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 3, 2008 22:08

I'll still take Love You Live over The Song Remains The Same anyday. At least the Stones actually finished their tunes within or about 4 minutes...

Posted by: aslecs ()
Date: February 3, 2008 22:18

1972 was pristine and tight; 1975 was sloppy and overindulgent

Posted by: aslecs ()
Date: February 3, 2008 22:20

PLUS we had to endure the histrionics of Billy Preston PLUS his 2 stupid songs.

Posted by: StonesBlake ()
Date: February 3, 2008 22:23

'75 was the worst tour of the 70's. I even prefer '76 WAY more. In '75 Ronnie hadn't found his 'identity' within the band yet.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: February 3, 2008 22:33

It's a shame that the fantastic 1975 tour isn't more appreciated among the...common fan.
I'd bet; that if there was a "Handsome Girls" bootleg of 75 - a compilation in excellent quality - people would view it differently.
1978 wasn't too popular either, before that box made people listen more closely.

Posted by: Tornandfrayed ()
Date: February 3, 2008 23:01

StonesBlake
'75 was the worst tour of the 70's. I even prefer '76 WAY more. In '75 Ronnie hadn't found his 'identity' within the band yet.

The ´76 European tour was the low point of the band´s entire history IMO. I recently listened to a ´76 show and it was so bad I just couldn´t stand it.

The ´75 tour on the other hand was brilliant: dirty ass ballsy and funky rock n´roll all the way. The difference between the glory of the TOTA ´75 and the lethargy of Europe´76 is incredible IMO. I can´t believe the band could sink so low within one year.

Erik is right, The ´75 tour doesn´t get the attention it deserves because it´s lacking a "definitive" bootleg à la Brussels Affair or Handsome Girls.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: February 3, 2008 23:16

Is it me or did the Stones seem a bit high on themselves then, 75-76, and had fun with it? The live album stinks overall...some of the bootlegs I've heard are slightly better and only because they feature the live vocals instead of the horrible overdubbed vocals Mick did on that record...

It seems they just didn't take the performing seriously enough as far as the context of the music in 75 and 76. 1978 they still threw it together only with a newer sound. 1981 they started to get more serious about the music - their performances were fantastic, it's just they still sounded rushed and a good bit ragged...and Mick refused to sing...of course since Steel Wheels/Urban Jungle they've sounded more slick, more like the records...at least in some cases...

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: February 3, 2008 23:25

alimente

sorry, but somebody had to tell you before you make a complete clown out of yourself.

anything your saying to timbarnardis about plexi glass, you are saying to me too. and I would like to think tim for the kind words.

As for the 75 tour, Its one that fascinates me both visually and musically. It had an intersting sound, funky but still hard rocking. probably the best stage they ever used because it reached out in the audience.

78 is a personal favroite of mine, and I echo the sentiment that for a lot of reasons 72 is argually their best .. but hell, theyre ALL good!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-03 23:28 by ryanpow.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: February 4, 2008 00:22

timbernardis
However, I must say that at my first show on Wednesday, July 16, 1975 at the Cow Palace in San Francisco, it seemed I saw just a brief, shiny glimmer on either side of Charlie which, as I (the Plexiglass Prophet) today interpret this to have been THE PLEXIGLASS in its nascent form, both in my mind (had not yet been enlightened) and in its physical form, as yet unassumed.

I believe you man!!

Posted by: tippy2toes ()
Date: February 4, 2008 00:46

I just got some nice boots of the 75 tour recently. I must say I really like the energy and all. Thanks to all you people that took time out to make 'em for me. You know who you are. Much appreciate. I also liked the 72 tour but only have a few shows to compare.

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: February 4, 2008 00:53

No

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: February 4, 2008 01:11

ryanpow
alimente

sorry, but somebody had to tell you before you make a complete clown out of yourself.

anything your saying to timbarnardis about plexi glass, you are saying to me too. and I would like to think tim for the kind words.

Thanks ryanpow for YOUR kind words. You are a loyal member of the Bay Area Plexiglass Society!!

As for you, Alimente, u said "before u make a commplete clown out of yourself" -- if that's how u view it, it's WAAAAAAAAAY past the time for that!!

THE PLEXIGLASS is now an established religion on IORR and other Stones fan clubs, even in Germany. You, sir, are a BLASPHEMER!!

Plexi

PS Perhaps the band was better pre-75, but it hurts to see so many trashing the tour when first I saw the band. I have many fond memories, and a lot of painful ones, of that concert (I recently wrote this up for the thread Your First Stones Concert [www.iorr.org]). But they are mine. Not that anyone knew or was trying to be hurtful, just a little personal thing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-04 01:13 by timbernardis.

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: February 4, 2008 05:09

Let me put it this way, after the 1969 tour 1972 was a let down. Had I not seen some 69 shows I'm sure I'd think higher of '72. On the other hand, to each their own but Jagger's shag hair cut, glitter eye shadow, Jack La Lane workout Jump Suits, and a pair of balled up gym socks stuffed into his underwear just slightly turned me off...but like I said, some people dug that look so there you have it....ain't one to judge people's personal, private preferences.....

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: February 4, 2008 05:46

It dont matter what they looked like, it was how they played it...72 SMOKED 75...just listen to the tapes...who ever says 75 is better has a staple in their brain....

JR

Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: February 4, 2008 05:59

It's a different style JR, no horns vs extra percussion in 75, it not really better or worse, it's DIFFERENT. I like the sound of 75 better (NO HORNS) and the 75 set list kicked ass over the 72 set list (73 Forum benefit show had a better set list than 72 tour) Facts are facts amigo and my MAGIC 8 BALL says,"tell jr he's dead f*ckin' wrong" - you NEVER argue with the Magic 8 Ball........

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: February 4, 2008 06:11

Erik_Snow
It's a shame that the fantastic 1975 tour isn't more appreciated among the...common fan.
I'd bet; that if there was a "Handsome Girls" bootleg of 75 - a compilation in excellent quality - people would view it differently.
1978 wasn't too popular either, before that box made people listen more closely.

good point Erik (as usual)
personally i admit that i would have missed some of the hottest things i've ever had in my entire music collection w/o hearing HG, and several other unofficial compiliations that turned my head around when i had dismissed certain things, or periods out of hand... music from all different tours and decades.

one of the great things about this forum for me is i keep getting my eyes (and ears) more and more open through other's people's informed and passionate opinions and ears, and losing some of my preconceived dismissal of certain periods (in each of their decades)
seeing the band in a new light is incredible fun.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: February 4, 2008 06:22

yes the set list in 75 was outstanding compared to the 72 set, but i still give the edge to the 72 tour for tightness by a long shot, although the 72 set list was no slouch either, just much shorter

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: February 4, 2008 14:59

Gotta be 72 - perhaps the greatest tour in the history of rock'n'roll. There was an intensity and freshness fuelled by the release of Exile. It featured Mick Taylor's finest lead and Keith's finest ever rhythm playing. Just compare the Mick's Birthday boot from Madison Sq to the LA Forum 75 show and you'll see what I mean.

Posted by: MTFan ()
Date: February 4, 2008 15:02

aslecs
Keith "coasting" in 72????!! Are u insane. Watch Ladies and Gents. I was there and he was top. Listen to Bitch solo. Wher u getting this from???!!!

What do you mean by Bitch solo:Keith moving 2 fingers on the fretboard, stiff as
concrete,too stoned to get his guitar tuned.
I estimate him as a first year guitar-schoolboy-too lazy to practice-,and caught up in his own "guitar hero"drugs image.
It's getting worse as a guitarplayer.

Date: February 4, 2008 15:54

<Keith also seemed altert and awake.>

Like when he fell asleep during Fool To Cry? winking smiley

Date: February 4, 2008 16:06

Quote:
Erik_Snow

We do have Love You Live...

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: February 4, 2008 16:07

Was 75 better than 1972? Or 1972 better than 1969? Or...? Ask me which of my children I like better than the others... Impossible task! As mentioned before, unlike today, all those tours had a unique sound, a unique identity. And that's great. Sometimes I could listen to 1975 tapes for weeks, sometimes 1969 has my preference, sometimes 1972, 1973, 1978, 1981 - you name it! It all depends on the mood I'm in. If I am in a bluesy mood, I would listen to 1969 shows, not 1975. If I'm in a rough'n'ready punky rock'n'roll mood, I would listen to 1978 shows. Let's just be happy and grateful that the Stones were able to offer such a variety that they almost sounded like different bands from tour to tour. This way it never gets boring.

Posted by: silkcut1978 ()
Date: February 4, 2008 16:20

As much as I like some of the 72-gigs (Philadelphia II for instance) I prefer the TOTA 75. I transfered a lot of 73-shows lately and what was funny in a way in 1972 was becoming really boring in 1973 - Taylor's endless up-and-down-the-scale from the first to the last second of a show is not what I like.

But maybe that's what happens when you have to live with a staple in your brain ;-)

Posted by: holycrap ()
Date: February 4, 2008 16:41

I didn't see any of the 75 tour but what I saw in '72 IMO was the Stones at the top of their game

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: February 4, 2008 16:57

In my opinon - 72 was way better. I only know both tours from bootlegs (I am not one of you lucky guys who saw them then - I wasn't even born), but I really love Ladies and Gentlemen. For me that is the best Stones' concert movie. I do not really like the way Jagger sang during the 75 tour.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: February 4, 2008 17:10

Ok, this is like asking me if I prefer a red Ferrari or a black one.

Unfortunately, just like the Ferraris I can't judge from personal experience.

That said: 75 wins by an inch!

The set was more fun, Ollie was a interesting addition, a wild horses to die for and Keith more free.

C

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: February 4, 2008 17:18

DandelionPowderman
Quote:
Erik_Snow

Yes but we need the best from the 75-76 tours! IYCRM from Hot as hell, a better version of SFTD, Knebworth version of Hot Stuff, Angie...a 1975 version of Happy

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: February 4, 2008 17:33

DandelionPowderman
Quote:
Erik_Snow

Good grief

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2008-02-04 17:43 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: HEILOOBAAS ()
Date: February 4, 2008 18:09

aslecs
PLUS we had to endure the histrionics of Billy Preston PLUS his 2 stupid songs.

Darling, don't be so naive. Mickette had to get shot up for the finale. Geez...

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1177
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home