Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Dumbest thing a rookie (non fan) said to you????
Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: January 29, 2008 16:00

[email protected]
So I'm at one of the ABB shows at the Grand in Vegas gettin' a drink at one of the foodcourt bars wearing my Dragonfly shirt with Keith on the back I got at one of the Hardrock shows. Two bimbos, and I mean BIMBOS, come up and say "Cool shirt. Who's that on the back?". I say "Keith". And yes, you guessed it, they say "Keith who?". Dumbfounded, I say "Keith Richards". "Keith Richards? Who's he?". In total disgust I respond "The lead guitarist for the Stones!". It turns out their boyfreinds got them tickets so they could gamble all night and not be bothered by their airhead dates. Now, the bitch of it all. They had section A, row 10. Argh!!!!!!! Jeez, what a waste.

Scotty

They were probably front and center at the Beacon show too, getting paid for it!

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: January 29, 2008 16:09

Packed in behind me in the crowd around the B-stage at the Isle of Wight were a young chap with a Japanese-looking girlfriend, who kept on asking him dumb questions about whether it was really worth hanging around any longer to see the last band, as it was getting late and she was hungry and tired...

Posted by: bv ()
Date: January 29, 2008 16:24

Too many to mention, but one comment picked up by a friend of mine was sort of funny. When Keith took center stage for his set, the guy next to my frind asked: "Where did the Rolling Stones go?"

Bjornulf

Posted by: Adi Tyler ()
Date: January 29, 2008 16:32

Just remembered another one...
A guy I know was proudly telling me his fave Stones song is ... Painted In Black ...

Posted by: René ()
Date: January 29, 2008 16:41

Cologne, 1990: Guy next to me sings: Start Me Auf...........

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: January 29, 2008 16:49

"Pink Floyd? You know....I've never really been a fan of him."

That reminded me of Jethro Tull back in 1973....whenever Ian Anderson would go off stage for another band member's solo, people behind us would yell, "HEY, bring back TULL! We wanna see TULL again, bring him back!"[/quote]

I'm a big fan of Boogie Rocker Leonard Skynyrd.

At least the Rookies have an excuse, there's been some choice cuts from veteran fans on this very site. Myself included!

Posted by: FullTilt ()
Date: January 29, 2008 19:04

In 1981 a friend was complaining that he didn’t want to pay $15 U.S. and have sit through the Rolling Stones set waiting for Journey to come on after the Stones finished.

Posted by: bob r ()
Date: January 29, 2008 19:19

Watching the Stones perform on TV-- this guy turns to me and says....
"Do you think Keith is "on" something ?"......

Posted by: triplelicks ()
Date: January 29, 2008 19:49

From a long-time fan -

At the St Paul ABB show I sat next to a woman and her teenage daughter. The woman was telling me she's been a huge Stones fan since 1966 and has seen the Stones on every tour since then, has a program from each show, all their albums, has taken each of her 4 kids to a show, etc.

I told her I picked up the new ABB album that morning (it was just released that day) and she said the Stones had not released any new album since 40 Licks and she didn't believe ABB existed. After they played Rough Justice she mentioned she hadn't heard that one in a long time. I said it was a brand new song from their new album, but she kept insisting it had been around for ages.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-01-29 19:50 by triplelicks.

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: January 29, 2008 19:49

"Listen, they're playing the Snickers ad!"

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: January 29, 2008 19:55

"All the songs are in open tuning"

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: January 30, 2008 00:04

HelterSkelter
I don't even know who half these people are - that's what kids have to listen to today... SAD, SAD, SAD.....
That's probably what your parents had to say about the music you took to way back when

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: January 30, 2008 00:08

Bingo
Des
Dumbest thing a rookie (non fan) said to you????

"I hope they play something different tonight, do you think they will play some obscure tunes?"
Hmmmmm, I can't see anything dumb about that. That's been my hope for many years...

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: January 30, 2008 00:18

open-g
"Listen, they're playing the Snickers ad!"

Never seen that one before - what a discovery! So now we know why Keith "had the Satisfaction lick in his head when waking up"...his TV set was going all night.. No?

Date: January 30, 2008 02:37

This has to be one of the funniest threads I've read in a long time.

Scotty

Posted by: angee ()
Date: January 30, 2008 02:46

Fun topic!

(I wonder why two people so far thought "Brown Eyed Girl" was done by the Rolling Stones.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-01-30 02:47 by angee.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: January 30, 2008 02:49

I think its understandable. Van Morrison can sound a lot like Mick. so if somones not really a music buff thats an easy mistake.

Posted by: micwer ()
Date: January 30, 2008 07:02

A bunch of hicks (a couple and their 2 children) in Longchamp in 1995 were standing in front of me for the opening act by Bon Jovi. They were screaming out of their lungs. When Bon Jovi left after 30 minutes, they did too...

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: January 30, 2008 09:42

Adi Tyler
A guy I know was proudly telling me his fave Stones song is ... Painted In Black ...

That reminds me of an old roommate telling me her favorite stones song was "Lord I miss you" - it took me a minute to figure that one out.

Posted by: gimme_shelter ()
Date: January 30, 2008 12:16

"So cool they wrote the openingtune to Tour of Duty"...

Posted by: nanker phelge ()
Date: January 30, 2008 12:21

'The Stones are American aren't they'?

Posted by: twanghound ()
Date: January 30, 2008 13:29

A friend of mine once explained to me, that the Stones were
the american answer to the Beatles.
Interesting...

The guy that runs my favourite bar is a music-maniac like me,
and we have many bands and musicians in common.
So he really can't understand, why I like those Rolling Stones so much.
That's a dumb question!

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: January 30, 2008 13:30

Adi Tyler

Related story my dad once told me:
He knew a girl who loved that song "Blackboard" by Paul McCartney.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: RiffKichards ()
Date: January 30, 2008 13:33

First one : ...For me rolling stones are sounding like AC/DC...

second one : While I was listenning to "anybody seen my baby" at home...

Him : "Nice song, who is it ?",
I reply (proudly, because my entourage, from a musical point of view, is absolutely not rock'n roll) : "The rolling stones "
And suddenly, I have seen a deception in his eyes and he was not interested by the song.. (how could people like them can make such a song ? quite impossible).

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: January 30, 2008 14:19

RiffKichards

I reply (proudly, because my entourage, from a musical point of view, is absolutely not rock'n roll) : "The rolling stones "
And suddenly, I have seen a deception in his eyes and he was not interested by the song.. (how could people like them can make such a song ? quite impossible).

Experienced the same at a party I was at in 1999 or 2000 (First year of high school anyway). It was a very small party (About 10 people). Some of the girls danced and then I put on Let It Bleed followed by Dead Flowers from Stripped. They liked it and asked who it was. I said "The Rolling Stones". They said: "We didn't know they were a country band". I laughed and explained to them that no band worth it's salt sticks to a single genre. I told them about all the different genres of The Stones (Like: Brown Sugar (Rock), Hot Stuff (Funk), Miss You (Disco), Torn & Frayed (Folk), Faraway Eyes (Country), That's How Strong My Love Is (Soul), The Spider And The Fly (Blues), As Tears Go By (Ballad), Melody (Jazz) etc. etc.). Man did they listen intensely. I didn't get sex from it though. That pisses me off. grinning smiley

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: nanker phelge ()
Date: January 30, 2008 14:27

JumpingKentFlash
RiffKichards

Man did they listen intensely. I didn't get sex from it though. That pisses me off. grinning smiley

Ha Ha love that last line!

Posted by: 1cdog ()
Date: January 30, 2008 14:30

I generally get asked stupid questions anytime I wear a Stones concert T-shirt that is say from 2002 on.

Stuff like: "Are They Still Alive"

or

"I Thought They Retired"

In all honesty I think 75% of the negative comments are not from folks that are clueless but rather folks just being plain envious that they have not attended a show recently or perhaps at all.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 30, 2008 18:31

micwer
A bunch of hicks (a couple and their 2 children) in Longchamp in 1995 were standing in front of me for the opening act by Bon Jovi. They were screaming out of their lungs. When Bon Jovi left after 30 minutes, they did too...

I was at that show too, and Bon Jovi were so bad I almost left after 15 minutes!!

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 30, 2008 18:36

nanker phelge

I've actually met people who considered themselves big fans (ie, they travelled from the US to London to see the Stones) and yet actually were under the impression that the Stones are indeed American.

Some of the sheer f*ckwittery mentioned in this thread is ample evidence that compulsory euthanasia may often be a good thing.

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: January 30, 2008 19:51

micwer's comment reminded me about some punks sitting next to me at the Stones show in Charlotte 1999. They were there to see the Goo Goo Dolls!!!! I think they left before the Stones came on.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2010
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home