Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: OT: Getting To SLEEP AT NIGHT - easy or near impossible?
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 25, 2008 03:41

Alcohol really helps!

I sleep good - clean conscience!

"No Anchovies, Please"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-01-25 03:41 by Elmo Lewis.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: January 25, 2008 05:16

Yeah I can't beleive people get so hooked on prescription drugs. Bud Light & Patron seem to work pretty good for me.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: January 26, 2008 16:07

I never have any trouble falling asleep, EVER and have never used artifical medicines to do so. I shut down super fast once my head is on the pillow.

SD

Posted by: King Snake ()
Date: January 26, 2008 16:52

I have little trouble getting to sleep, because I\'m very tired.. I get up at 6 AM and I go to bed at about midnight. That`s not a lot for a teenager. So I get real tired around midnight and then I go to bed.. I`ve tried getting in my bed earlier but it just doesn`t work. I end up awake, so I get up, or read a book, and when I`m finally tired, it`s midnight again!

I have more trouble getting up. I found putting my alarm clock on the other side of the room very helpful. It`s pretty much impossible to stay in bed since it keeps going.

Sleeping is a bitch though!

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: January 26, 2008 23:06

I used to have a lot of sleep probems when I was younger. I think most of it centered around the fear of not being able to fall asleep. You are afraid that if you don't fall asleep you will be "wrecked" the next day so you toss and turn and watch the clock all night. My friend had a crazy suggestion for me. He suggested I get up and punch my pillow fifty times and then try to fall asleep. While I never tried it there may be something to it. Doing some kind of strenuous physical activity will help get rid of the nervous anxiety that keeps people awake.

Maybe it is different for different people but I have learned over the years that If I can't fall asleep but just lay in bed resting that I can still function easily the next day with a little caffeine.

"Lyin' awake in a cold, cold sweat. Am I overdrawn, am I going in debt?
It gets worse, the older that you get. No escape from the state of confusion I'm in.

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: January 26, 2008 23:27

I'm 52 and have no issues going to sleep, yet. A lot of my friends who are my age do and are taking Ambient, etc.

Most days I'm up at 4:45am so by 10pm I'm ready for sleep. I'm also at the gym most days at 5am so I really believe that helps, a lot.

Posted by: Adi Tyler ()
Date: January 26, 2008 23:41

Use a hypnosis tape. Worked for me and also borrowed it
to uncle George. He now wears a dress. But sleeps well.

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: January 27, 2008 01:44

I sleep to much i think....fuc the night mare

Posted by: iamwaiting ()
Date: January 27, 2008 03:56

"You know what's a fun game? Take 3 Excedrin PM's and see if you can whack off before you fall asleep. You always win, that's the best part about the game."

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: January 27, 2008 03:58

Yeah told ya back on page one....have an Uncle Doug...!!!!

ROCKMAN

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: January 27, 2008 13:19

Not so much problem getting to sleep at night, but getting through the day without getting hit by a bout of chronic fatigue at some point is getting to be a pain in the arse. In my mind I've associated this with eating during the day, consequently I generally try to avoid doing this ... someone will now no doubt point out that going for virtually the entire day without eating is not in general a great idea. Anyone else struggle with gettin' through the average day without nodding off (or seriously feeling like nodding off) for a short spell ?

Also, is it true you're supposed to need less sleep as you get older ? Well if so, I'm still waitin' !! I seem to need every bit as much (sometimes wonder if not actually MORE) these days than I did 20/30 years ago ? Definitely an "8 hours minimum" merchant. I can obviously react to an alarm clock and drag myself out of the rack after a lot less sleep, but the subsequent day is a serious struggle and I kind of stumble through it in a blur feeling as though I've never really woken up. Not a pretty sight !!

Posted by: King Snake ()
Date: January 27, 2008 13:45

Yeah I`m sleepy until about noon. I yawn almost constantly and I have a really hard time concentrating on things (I`m in my final year of high school). Every chance I get, I close my eyes and nod off. I should just sleep more but I can`t seem to get it done.

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: January 27, 2008 14:33

Paul

They are known in common parlance as power naps. ;--)
So that is what was happening at Springers, ha ha ha ha?
How ya doin mucker?

SD

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-01-27 14:34 by SonicDreamer.

Date: January 27, 2008 16:27

<<< They are known in common parlance as power naps. So that is what was happening at Springers, ha ha ha ha ? >>>

Er yes ... 'fraid so. But ssshh, don't tell Gazza n' Logie !! They'll hate me even more than they do already !

Just sent you a text massage old sport, have a ticket for you if you're intending to find yourself with nothing to do on the evening of Easter Sunday 23rd March ... ? Have a spare for the Eagles @ the O2. If ya want it, lemme know - OK ? I've offered the other two spares I have to Manofwealthandtaste and Mr Jimmy, Mrs pw is using the fourth of the four I bought in the presale, they're pretty good tix - block 101 row N. I can't make it, I'm at another more important (for me at least) gig that night. If you pay me AT LEAST ten times face value for this Eagles ticket and also promise not to badmouth me on IORR and/or buy ALL my future Rolling Stones tickets (first three rows front of stage ONLY please) for me, I MIGHT just tell you what it is ................ ?????

Posted by: keefan4ever ()
Date: January 27, 2008 17:04

paulywaul
Not so much problem getting to sleep at night, but getting through the day without getting hit by a bout of chronic fatigue at some point is getting to be a pain in the arse. In my mind I've associated this with eating during the day, consequently I generally try to avoid doing this ... someone will now no doubt point out that going for virtually the entire day without eating is not in general a great idea. Anyone else struggle with gettin' through the average day without nodding off (or seriously feeling like nodding off) for a short spell ?

Also, is it true you're supposed to need less sleep as you get older ? Well if so, I'm still waitin' !! I seem to need every bit as much (sometimes wonder if not actually MORE) these days than I did 20/30 years ago ? Definitely an "8 hours minimum" merchant. I can obviously react to an alarm clock and drag myself out of the rack after a lot less sleep, but the subsequent day is a serious struggle and I kind of stumble through it in a blur feeling as though I've never really woken up. Not a pretty sight !!

have you ever gotten tested for hepatitis c? chronic fatigue is the main symptom...the most common way to get hep-c is iv drug use or a blood transfusion before 1994, but it is possible to get it from sharing toothbrushes, razors, straws with an infected person, if you hhave any risk factors at all you might want to check it out...

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 27, 2008 17:35

Normally when I get horizontal I sleep within a minute but ....... there are some exception going to bed 12.00 and feel that I went to sleep at 4.00 or sleep in one minute and wake up at 4.00 and stay awake for an our

Date: January 27, 2008 18:38

keefan4ever
paulywaul

have you ever gotten tested for hepatitis c? chronic fatigue is the main symptom...the most common way to get hep-c is iv drug use or a blood transfusion before 1994, but it is possible to get it from sharing toothbrushes, razors, straws with an infected person, if you hhave any risk factors at all you might want to check it out...

No I haven't, but it's a good point. Without going into boring details, I have spent the larger proportion of my working life in some of the world's finest shitholes, where on innumerable occasions the prevailing "conditions of hygiene" could at best have been described as very poor, if not altogether non-existent ! But I don't think it's likely however that I'd have inadvertently contracted that, I have to have industry standard medicals once every 24 months, not to mention the occasional drug/alcohol test etc, it would've been picked up. Nope, guess I'm just one of them types that needs his "8", and doesn't fare too well if he doesn't get it !! I'm dead jealous of these folks that can function perfectly well on say 6 hrs per night; If I tried that I'd be half dead by about day 3.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-01-27 18:39 by paulywaul.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: January 27, 2008 18:40

CindyC
Looking at things while I'm horizontal makes my eyes tired and next thing i know, it's morning.

LOL...Now here is an opportunity to comment.....

Posted by: keefan4ever ()
Date: January 27, 2008 18:52

paulywaul
No I haven't, but it's a good point. Without going into boring details, I have spent the larger proportion of my working life in some of the world's finest shitholes, where on innumerable occasions the prevailing "conditions of hygiene" could at best have been described as very poor, if not altogether non-existent ! But I don't think it's likely however that I'd have inadvertently contracted that, I have to have industry standard medicals once every 24 months, not to mention the occasional drug/alcohol test etc, it would've been picked up. Nope, guess I'm just one of them types that needs his "8", and doesn't fare too well if he doesn't get it !! I'm dead jealous of these folks that can function perfectly well on say 6 hrs per night; If I tried that I'd be half dead by about day 3.

it wouldnt be picked up unless you had a specific test for it, when you get regular blood work sometimes if you have hep-c the liver enzymes will be elevated and thats a clue for the doc to send yo from the test, but not all the time

drug &alcohol tests have nothign to do with finding it, those tests are specific to looking for drugs

and you dont get hep-c from poor hygiene, that is hep-A...

Posted by: Greg ()
Date: January 28, 2008 17:08

Having kids will cure your insomnia. Not that you'll get any more sleep...

----------------------------
"Music is the frozen tapioca in the ice chest of history."

"Shit!... No shit, awright!"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-01-28 18:08 by Greg.

Posted by: MTFan ()
Date: January 28, 2008 22:17

I play "Can't you hear me knocking", on my Ipod,and before the end of MT's guitarsolo...
Iam sleeping.

Posted by: Whale ()
Date: January 28, 2008 23:21

Interesting thread. Good to hear that the 8+ people form a crowd.
I sometimes have trouble sleeping, like last night. But that's just because I'd been working until late. Usually I get my 8 hours. I'm best of with 9.
Two things insomniacs can try and that work for me: physical exercise, and try the news. Like the world service just blah blahs on and on and on. Just have it softly in the background. It works for me.
And for people who can't imagine what the insomniacs go through: it's really not fun.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1531
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home