Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: CSN's "Suite: Judy Blue Eyes"
Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: January 17, 2008 20:25

This is an all-time fave, and I acquired what I believe is an alternate studio version, which times at 7:29 and has an audible countoff at the beginning.

Where does this version come from? It certainly isn't the version on the first CSN album, and I actually like this one better.

Re: OT: CSN's "Suite: Judy Blue Eyes"
Posted by: Rev. Robert W. ()
Date: January 17, 2008 20:39

There's an alternate that kicks off the 1990 "CSN" boxed set that has drums and slightly different vocals in places.

Maybe that's what you're listening to?

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: January 17, 2008 20:54

Thank you, Rev. I do believe you are correct, as my local library did have a copy of the CSN retrospective set. That's where I copied it from.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: January 17, 2008 23:31

Actually, if it's the one I think you're referring to bassplayer 617, it's from a brilliant boot called Session Selections. It has stunningly clear alternate takes and run throughs of Marrakesh Express, Guinnevere, Black Queen, Pre-Road Downs, Wooden Ships, Lady Of The Island, Helplessly Hoping, 49 Bye Byes, Cinnamon Girl and Blackbird. Apparently it's from an upcoming 4 CD boot of unreleased CSN/Y masters. Well worth hunting around for.

Posted by: Des ()
Date: January 18, 2008 00:22

Thnaks for the heads up. This song falls into my top 5 all time songs heard live back in the day when Steven Stills could still play it.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: January 18, 2008 02:26

There's also a really interesting version of this on Stephen Stills's "Just Roll Tape; April 26, 1968". Recorded nine days before Buffalo Springfield would play their final concert, Stills sings the middle part of the song in an almost ridiculously high tenor. It could be he was still thinking in terms of making a demo for a future Buffalo Springfield record in which he and Neil would take turns, trading off on the lead vocals, as Stills would later do with Crosby on Wooden Ships.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-01-18 16:39 by tatters.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: January 18, 2008 03:44

I find CSN too pretty, but if you like Crosby get his recently (SACD? I just play it on a cd player) upgraded "If I Could Only Remember My Name"('71) which is and sounds spectacular.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1303
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home