Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: Rolling Stones, New Album !!!????????????
Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: January 17, 2008 23:12

If you have a look at open-g's setlist - our Bjornulf "BV" Vik must be in a leading role...

Posted by: cbtaco19 ()
Date: January 17, 2008 23:30

open-g
Bitch2
I am sure Stones will mess up this setlist and we will miss some rarities like some girls or dead flowers, so my hope is to find a top bootleg with all interesting songs!?!

Easy, easy.
as we say in germany: don't shear the bears fur, until you hunted him down.... or something like that smiling bouncing smiley

Scheren Sie nicht den Bären Pelz, bis Sie ihn unten gejagt haben.

Ja?

Wie erhalte ich ein Tucky Bussard-T-Stück Hemd?smoking smiley

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 17, 2008 23:36

I would imagine the soundtrack album will contain more or less whats in the film, so expect the 3 songs with 'guests' to be included as theyre definitely in the movie.

Would also expect the bulk of the songs to come from night 2 as I recall reports that Mick's voice wasnt as strong on the first night....then again, being a Stones live album AND a movie, no doubt that wouldnt prevent them overdubbing it!

Posted by: cbtaco19 ()
Date: January 17, 2008 23:42

Speculation about signing with Michael Cohl at Billboard:

Some speculate the band may sign with Live Nation's new Artist Nation entity. Such a move would extend their longtime relationship with promoter Michael Cohl, who serves as the head of Artist Nation.

[www.billboard.com]

The Wall Street Journal is even getting in on the act (must be more fun to write about the Stones than the impending US economic recession):

[online.wsj.com]

I'm tired, I'm tired of doing what I'm told.
Things are moving way too slow.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: January 17, 2008 23:58

with all this speculation this is turning into a jump to conclusions mat.

Posted by: retired_dog ()
Date: January 18, 2008 00:28

cbtaco19
Speculation about signing with Michael Cohl at Billboard:

Some speculate the band may sign with Live Nation's new Artist Nation entity. Such a move would extend their longtime relationship with promoter Michael Cohl, who serves as the head of Artist Nation.

But even Live Nation is just a label who needs distributors all over the world. The Stones don't need a label, they need a distributor. Atlantic Records, EMI, CBS-Sony and Virgin were never their record labels, their function was to distribute the Stones catalog.

Posted by: DoughboyUK ()
Date: January 18, 2008 00:29

as i just put in other thread..

[news.sky.com]

Doughb0y

Posted by: john r ()
Date: January 18, 2008 01:13

I expressed my wariness re the live album elsewhere, but the story does seem to suggest the Stones are looking for a new home both for the post '71 catalog (which could use a remastering - compare 2005's Made In the Shade or Sucking in the 70s to the '94 remasters) & at least one studio album (likely coinciding with some sort of tour).

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 18, 2008 10:23

georgelicks
More details here:

January 17, 2008

Mick Jagger loses satisfaction with EMI
Dan Sabbagh: Media Editor
Sir Mick Jagger and The Rolling Stones are preparing to follow Sir Paul McCartney and Radiohead and abandon EMI, the crisis-stricken British record label.

[entertainment.timesonline.co.uk]

Hmm... the 'sirs' are running nice bands: "Sir Mick Jagger and The Rolling Stones"; "Sir Paul McCartney and Radiohead"....>grinning smiley

/Doxa

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 18, 2008 10:32

ryanpow
with all this speculation this is turning into a jump to conclusions mat.

One fairly safe conclusion amidst all the surveys and evidenced dicussions about this deal or the other... is that they ain't done yet !

...and that'll do for me ;^)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2008-01-18 10:34 by Spud.

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: January 18, 2008 10:46

Is this really about a live album?

It's a message to EMI and other record companies that their back catalogue is for sale. Who 'owns' the 60's Stones is that Universal?

Imagine a proper reissue of every album on one label all remastered properly with bonus tracks. Oh well tis nice to dream.

Date: January 18, 2008 11:15

When it comes to the Stones back catalog and their handling of the vaults, I have been dreaming since, oh, a couple of decades! I just hope that one day the dreams will be over in a positive way. There is always hope!

I think it is pretty much a "now or never" situation - if it does not happen now (read: in the next 1, 2 or 3 years) it gets more and more unlikely that it will happen at all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-01-18 11:18 by retired_dog.

Posted by: toomuchforme ()
Date: January 18, 2008 12:13

it will be out on dvd in a year..

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: January 18, 2008 12:37

Spud
That would certainly be an interesting prospect.
[As an asside. Strange that when CD as a format is entering it's decline...the industry has finally realised that there are beter and friendlier ways to package CDs than those awful antiseptic "jewell cases" !
[I love the recent Dylan anthology for example...in a nice box, card sleeves and black discs stamped on the back to resemble vinyl records.

The CD is far from being dead, it's just not the only format that's around anymore. Promoters of those other formats are trying to talk it into being redundant, of course with enlarging their own profits in mind. So the businessmen now ruling the labels have now been trying to come up with ways to make the CD more attractive. That's a good idea.

What I've always liked about the jewel case is that it's easy to handle and to store on a shelf. That's why I don't like these cardboard sleeves that are popping up in recent times. They scratch the discs and you can't put one on top of the other like you can with jewel cases or digipacks. The so called Super Jewel Case, on the other hand, is really a step forward in CD packaging.

But standard jewel cases are fine with me, really.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 18, 2008 12:44

Braincapers
Is this really about a live album?

It's a message to EMI and other record companies that their back catalogue is for sale. Who 'owns' the 60's Stones is that Universal?

Imagine a proper reissue of every album on one label all remastered properly with bonus tracks. Oh well tis nice to dream.

I think also that the real deal is about the back catalogue - that is what is looking for a new home. Perhaps a new studio album is a good promise or extra in the negatations but I suppose that is not anymore their prime asset. If my memory serves me right that reissuing the back catalogue was already a significant factor in their deal with Virgin - and I think the value of their back catalogue has surely not decreased since then (contrary to their status as new-material-releasing artists).

The great thing is that Sir Mick is active in the process. What I am afraid is that EMI comes - to save their reputation and status - with an "aggressive offer" and all will remain the same.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-01-18 12:50 by Doxa.

Date: January 18, 2008 14:35

Doxa

The great thing is that Sir Mick is active in the process. What I am afraid is that EMI comes - to save their reputation and status - with an "aggressive offer" and all will remain the same.

- Doxa

That's what I am afraid of too. If they stay with EMI, there is a great danger that the back catalog will be distributed in future just as it is now. With a new distributor like Universal there is a bigger chance for state-of-the-art remasters, bonus tracks or even expanded editions with material from the vaults. I believe a new distributor will have a fresh approach concerning the back catalog, and that is exactly what the back catalog needs.

Posted by: jamesjagger ()
Date: January 18, 2008 15:16

the last live-album didn't sell at all..........

Posted by: boston2006 ()
Date: January 18, 2008 15:30

I'm sur this has been said already but ..........

I really wish they wouldn't release another live LP . It's the Same Old Song And Dance my friend . sad smiley sad smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-01-18 15:31 by boston2006.

Posted by: sluissie ()
Date: January 18, 2008 15:59

There's enough potential in the setlists/performances to create a great great soundtrack. A soundtrack is not the same thing as a concert-registrating live-album. Creating too many similarities with either disc one of Live Licks or with the BB-DVD would be pointless and a missed opportunity: I'm convinced they're smarter than that. Therefor: I'm very happy with the news of this release, I suspect a great disc.

Jelle

Posted by: 55 Rusty ()
Date: January 18, 2008 16:13

Can't wait to hear the new CD

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: January 18, 2008 16:20

I think with the excitement surrounding the film it will be a good move. A real genuine interestcould arise in the stones as it did with Dylan.
I just hope its better quality product than the last few!

Date: January 18, 2008 16:25

What about a film/soundtrack set list like this. (Wishful thinking...o)))

Jumping Jack Flash
Shattered
She Was Hot
Undercover Of The Night
All Down The Line
As Tears Go By
I'm Free
Loving Cup (duet with Jack White)
Shine A Light
Champagne & Reefer (blues with Buddy Guy)
You Got The Silver (Keith)
Connection (Keith)
Live With Me (with Christina Aguilera)
Some Girls
(Just My) Imagination
Tumbling Dice
--- Introductions
Sympathy For The Devil
Honky Tonk Women
Start Me Up
Brown Sugar
Satisfaction

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: January 18, 2008 16:26

Donnow if the right thread or timin',
but I lurv ABB a lot... Song material is totally ok..
But production..... Not good....

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: January 18, 2008 16:36

First off, any new product is better than nothing. I don't remember Dead Flowers being done at the Beacon. Many many months ago, someone posted on this site after seeing the movie, and listed all the songs, I remember this person saying most of the archival footage was shown during Keith's CONNECTION, and basically 95% of the movie is the shows(mostly the 2nd night)
If anyone can dig up that post again it would be great. I've looked but cant find it but it was in the TELL ME forum. This will kind of give a good idea what the soundtrack to this album will be.
The song SHINE A LIGHT( I think the studio version) is the end credits I remember reading which was dedicated to Ahmet Eretegun. Although it may not be a hit, I think they should release the Exile version as a single to promote the movie.

Posted by: Britney ()
Date: January 18, 2008 16:37

john r
I expressed my wariness re the live album elsewhere, but the story does seem to suggest the Stones are looking for a new home both for the post '71 catalog (which could use a remastering - compare 2005's Made In the Shade or Sucking in the 70s to the '94 remasters) & at least one studio album (likely coinciding with some sort of tour).

I wasn't aware the reissues of Made In The Shade or Sucking were remastered?
Are they indeed significant upgrades compared to the original releases?

Posted by: DrPete ()
Date: January 18, 2008 16:44

Its amazing to me how people would prefer NO RELEASE to another live album. And when a new studio album is released, they complain how its not as good as Sticky Fingers. Personally, I wish they would release all their concerts as The Who do. Now, it is worth criticizing their editing,dubbing of their live releases which I dont agree with.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: January 18, 2008 16:48

Bashlets
Many many months ago, someone posted on this site after seeing the movie, and listed all the songs, I remember this person saying most of the archival footage was shown during Keith's CONNECTION, and basically 95% of the movie is the shows(mostly the 2nd night)
If anyone can dig up that post again it would be great. I've looked but cant find it but it was in the TELL ME forum. This will kind of give a good idea what the soundtrack to this album will be.
The song SHINE A LIGHT( I think the studio version) is the end credits I remember reading which was dedicated to Ahmet Eretegun. Although it may not be a hit, I think they should release the Exile version as a single to promote the movie.

Jumping Jack Flash
Shattered
She Was Hot
All Down The Line
Loving Cup
Just My Imagination
Far Away Eyes
As Tears Go By
Some Girls
Champagne And Reefer
Tumbling Dice
You Got The Silver
Connection
Sympathy
Live with Me
Start Me Up
Brown Sugar
Satisfaction

Date: January 18, 2008 17:24

Well, if all these songs are on the soundtrack CD there is enough rarer material to justify the purchase of the album, at least according to my taste. Some warhorses have to be there, otherwise the soundtrack CD would create a wrong picture. As long as they are well played, I don't mind at all to get yet another version of Flash, Dice, Sympathy, Start Me Up, Sugar and Satisfaction.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: January 18, 2008 18:24

>> I remember this person saying most of the archival footage was shown during Keith's CONNECTION,
and basically 95% of the movie is the shows (mostly the 2nd night)
If anyone can dig up that post again it would be great. <<

i think this is the thread you mean, Bashlets: [www.iorr.org]

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 18, 2008 19:03

What song did Mick & Keith share a mic on..was that 'Connection'? THAT better be included!

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2190
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home