Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Just got Ronnie's biography....
Posted by: R ()
Date: January 15, 2008 15:55

....and while I've only skimmed it, one thing stands out: He makes little, if any, mention of his participation in the Stones recording sessions. It's too bad he's so marginalized. Granted, going into ABB, he seemed pretty undependable.

Re: Just got Ronnie's biography....
Posted by: milliondollarsad ()
Date: January 15, 2008 23:55

That may reflect his lack of memory more than him being marginalized. I skimmed it in Borders one day and it seemed to be pretty fluffy.

Posted by: WMiller ()
Date: January 16, 2008 00:02

It didn't cross your mind that there might already be an existing thread(s) on this topic?

Sometimes I just can't help being a dick, but strangely enough, duplicate threads on CLEARLY popular topics is a pet peeve of mine. Sorry.

Date: January 16, 2008 00:11

WMiller
It didn't cross your mind that there might already be an existing thread(s) on this topic?

Sometimes I just can't help being a dick, but strangely enough, duplicate threads on CLEARLY popular topics is a pet peeve of mine. Sorry.

I glanced thru the most recent half dozen pages and didn't see it mentioned there. I'm likewise sorry you can't help being a dick.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-01-16 00:12 by R.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: January 16, 2008 00:12

R
I'm sorry you can't help being a dick as well.

HAHAHAHA WICKED BURN!!!!

Posted by: WMiller ()
Date: January 16, 2008 00:16

CindyC
R
I'm sorry you can't help being a dick as well.

HAHAHAHA WICKED BURN!!!!

A well deserved burn!

My belated New Year's resolution is not to be the duplicate thread police.

Sorry again for being a dick, R.

Re: Just got Ronnie's autobiography....
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: January 16, 2008 00:16

smile: the search gizmo works pretty well for finding threads that were current a few months ago
(the book came out in october). try entering Ronnie autobiography - all words - last 90 days -
if you're interested in other people's posts about it, that is ... [turning up It's Not Easy way loud]

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: January 16, 2008 00:17

Finally, some interesting thoughts? Any others want to join the "dick" club?

Mike Love, of course, is in a league all his own so he can't belong.

Posted by: CindyC ()
Date: January 16, 2008 00:22

I don't know if i can be in the "dick" club since I'm a girl. I think girls can belong to the "I love dick" club, or the "I hate dick club", or perhaps it's the "bitch" club. I'm happy to be in any one of those clubs on any given day.

Posted by: livewithme ()
Date: January 16, 2008 01:15

remember that the guy who started the last one spelled Ronnie's name wrong.
search does not help too much in this case! search on Ronny to see the old post

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-01-16 01:23 by livewithme.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: January 16, 2008 01:17

Ok, not to be another phallis

I have been reading Ronnie's book. And sure it is fun, but there is so little substance. He is certainly a nice guy, with a lot of fun "party" stories, but there is so little substance about his feelings and the more intricate details about recording and certain songs he wrote. Especially when he mentions he has four songs on Dirty Work, but doesn't go into how him and Keith worked them out in the studio.
Again fun to read but very little substance, probably because of lack of memory due to substance intake! The one theme that is constant is his battles with the old demon Alcohol and his inability to properly manage his money.

Posted by: jhat111 ()
Date: January 16, 2008 04:51

old irish proverb...."anyone that builds a bar in his backyard probably has problems handling his money"

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: January 16, 2008 10:24

does he talk about women, other than jo and his ex-wife, chrissy?

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: January 16, 2008 10:27

I'm reading it at the moment and it's great fun but not unputdownable. It's obviously written to reach a wider audience. It's full of, how I met this famous person and stuff about his personal life but music details are sketchy.

I'm about half way through, he's in the Stones but (apart from a bit about Black & Blue) there is nothing about the recording of any Beck, Faces, Stewart or Stones album.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: January 16, 2008 15:02

like the other Stones, Ronnie is famous well beyond his chosen field,
and maybe details about the music were deemed "too technical" for a lot of the audience for the book.
it's also true that being a musician doesn't mean one has a gift for being verbal about music.
it's not a common gift, after all.

i found the book charming and entertaining - and yes LQ he talks about a few other women.

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: January 16, 2008 15:25

That's where I'm hoping Keith's book will be a little less "mass market" in it's content.
Keith does speak with great insight and authority about music, and about lots of other things...when he's not too busy being "Keith Richards" and answering questions about what's been up his nose and what hasn't ;^)

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 16, 2008 15:50

little queenie
does he talk about women, other than jo and his ex-wife, chrissy?

He did Patti - not Keith's wife, though - but Clapton/Harrison's....

Date: January 16, 2008 16:22

Thus far I'm finding it to be very easy to put this book down and pick up the paper or turn on the TV. Too bad. Given the plethora of Mick and Keith books regurgitating the same-old-same-old I'd hoped for a fresh perspective.

Posted by: mofur ()
Date: January 16, 2008 17:59

with sssoul
like the other Stones, Ronnie is famous well beyond his chosen field,and maybe details about the music were deemed "too technical" for a lot of the audience for the book.

Well, while Ronnie may be rather famous he is no match for Keef's and indeed Jagger's fame, so perhaps he was told to keep the technicalities to a minimum and the "stories" to a maximum so as to appeal to a wider audience.

I wonder how much this book has sold, but no doubt more than if he had tried his hand at describing how he and Keef (and the rest) play and record together - "then I took out the Gibson and put it through a Leslie speaker.." or whatnot.

Somebody, further up, said that it was a sign of him being marginalized in the Stones. I think sometimes people put too much into things - he does not divulge much about his time in The Faces, either, recording or otherwise.

I thought the book was quite enjoyable if not the source for new details or insights that I had hoped - the only thing that came as a total surprise to me was the fact he was skint - again - before the ABB-tour. Let's hope he's learned his lesson this time smileys with beer* (Or maybe it could be a good thing like when The Who was "forced" to tour to pay off John Entwhistle's debts) ;-)

Posted by: mickschix ()
Date: January 17, 2008 01:38

Funny how even Patti Boyd was aware of how alcohol was a major problem with Ronnie; in her book she mentions how Mick visited Ronnie before the ABB tour and told him if he did not clean up, NO TOUR!! It shows how much influence Mick has on Ronnie! In this case, thank God! Ronnie does say in his book that Mick was a true friend to him, being compassionate and involved, trying to get him proper help. I agree, I thought the information on the inside stuff, recording, composing, was sketchy at best...very disappointing.

Posted by: TrulyMicks ()
Date: January 17, 2008 05:27

I haven't read it. I'm a little disappointed with what I've read on the net, so I'm not in a hurry to get it.

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: January 18, 2008 10:52

One the other hand you have Bill's book which had hundreds of pages just on the 60s. I never managed to finish that one.

Perhaps the answer to have several volumes, a bit like Dylan is supposed to be doing (where volume 2 Bob?) or a directors cut book that's even longer. We'd all buy two copies of Keith's!

Posted by: john r ()
Date: January 18, 2008 11:14

I dont think he was much more interested in the book than 'The Works" 20 years ago. Too bad, but I'd not read anything into it. McLagan's (for example) is one of the best rock autobios because he obviously spent years and found a real 'voice' in the process. I doubt Wood too time and really conceived what he wanted this book to be. Seems like it was done fast.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1097
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home