Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Don Was: "people don't want to hear any new music from the Stones"
Posted by: terry ()
Date: January 11, 2008 18:50

can u imagine mick saying to don was, we are going to do another album don,and don saying whats the point mick no one is going to buy it.lol it be good night mr don was, there will be abiggerbang.

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: January 11, 2008 18:56

.......Why can't the Stones just pick up the phone and call Rick Rubin?

Not Was.

Posted by: TrulyMicks ()
Date: January 11, 2008 19:05

With an opinion like that, the Stones definitely shouldn't work with him anymore. He's wrong anyway, I'm always excited about new Stones music.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: January 11, 2008 19:11

I thought ABB had healthy world wide sales?

One big mistake for me was that the CD cover didn't have the bands name on or that it was obviously the stones?

It would be great to see Rubin involved but I can't ever see it happening.....

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: January 11, 2008 19:28

Rubin would be great...but even greater would be if Keith Richards would finally find his muse again and maybe contribute a few more songs....

Posted by: harlito1969 ()
Date: January 11, 2008 19:57

The statement should read that "nobody wants to hear the Stones new music since Don Was has been involved". I don't think he has done anything to add to their music but he does give it a certain sound that I just have not enjoyed. Get rid of him.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: January 11, 2008 20:13

I don't think the records the Stones put out are usually less than excellent. Indeed many people - not serious fans - associate the bands or music they like with memories, especially adolescence. Those are the people whose passion for music fades with adulthood. If the Stones released a "classic" some might buy it, but it still wouldnt get airplay (the origin of most of these memories) or sell a whole lot (the way the Stones did until the last few years), unless it was sold in Starbucks.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: January 11, 2008 20:19

Lukester
.......Why can't the Stones just pick up the phone and call Rick Rubin?

a) they'd have to wait their turn
b) Rubin has gone on record as saying that Jagger's emotional inability to deal with a producer who would tell him he was capable of better instead of being a yes-man made the Wandering Spirit sessions too much of an ordeal worth repeating.

Date: January 11, 2008 20:20

terry
can u imagine mick saying to don was, we are going to do another album don,and don saying whats the point mick no one is going to buy it.lol it be good night mr don was, there will be abiggerbang.

Mick's reluctance as the last tour progressed to play any of the songs from it would suggest he thinks the same way...

Posted by: jjsteve ()
Date: January 11, 2008 20:22

DON WAS NEEDS TO GO

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: January 11, 2008 20:27

Remember; Some of us became Stonesfans during this period that many of you dislike so much I enjoy every record made after 1990. Better than many of the records both in the 60's and 70's and the horrible 80's! So they must have had something to deliever. A lot of you critisise Don Was, Darryl Jones and all the other back-up musicians. None of them would have been there if the Stones didn't want them to?
As a live-act they have been ground-braking through over 4 decades. They had their cretive peak around Exile, but they still manage to throw in very good songs even today. And who cares if the mainstream won't buy the records?

[www.reverbnation.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2008-01-11 20:38 by audun-eg.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: January 11, 2008 20:32

Well said, audun-eg

"No Anchovies, Please"

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: January 11, 2008 20:44

people want to hear new material from the stones. but they do not want a don was production

Date: January 11, 2008 20:45

audun-eg
Remember; Some of us became Stonesfans during this period that many of you dislike so much I enjoy every record made after 1990. Better than many of the records both in the 60's and 70's and the horrible 80's! So they must have had something to deliever. A lot of you critisise Don Was, Darryl Jones and all the other back-up musicians. None of them would have been there if the Stones didn't want them to?
As a live-act they have been ground-braking through over 4 decades. They had their cretive peak around Exile, but they still manage to throw in very good songs even today. And who cares if the mainstream won't buy the records?

Well said.

Posted by: wee bobby lennox ()
Date: January 11, 2008 22:02

what really goes agaisnt the stones is thier image.

they have still made very good music for years, but they havent looked the part since the 1980,s

and sadly for the younger generation of music lovers, image is everything.

Posted by: benon again ()
Date: January 11, 2008 23:37

wee bobby lennox
what really goes agaisnt the stones is thier image.

they have still made very good music for years, but they havent looked the part since the 1980,s

and sadly for the younger generation of music lovers, image is everything.
Interesting , could you explain a bit deeper whats wrong with their image? I don`t feel offended , i`m really curious...

Posted by: wee bobby lennox ()
Date: January 12, 2008 00:15

the problem with the stones image for the younger generation is that they are over 35 and look older than they are.

Date: January 12, 2008 00:29

wee bobby lennox
the problem with the stones image for the younger generation is that they are over 35 and look older than they are.

The Stones music and image still has an appeal to younger people. The problem is that for the most part they cant afford to go and see them.

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: January 12, 2008 01:15

Indeed the biggest shame is that if only the Stones lowered prices...you would see an incredible amount of younger people at the shows. College kids and high school kids would flood every show....I don't doubt that at all. The effects of lowering prices for more younger crowds would be unbelievable.

Posted by: sluissie ()
Date: January 12, 2008 01:41

Gazza
The Stones music and image still has an appeal to younger people. The problem is that for the most part they cant afford to go and see them.

So many people were so enthousiast when I told them the Stones were going to tour Europe again in 2007, so many of my young (20-30) friends wanted to go and see them at least once if only just because you should have. And with my money-behaviour (never a euro to spend, but seeing multiple shows per year) they figured: it must really be an enjoyable thing to do...

What crushed them all were the RIDICULOUS prices. I can still get mad about it thinking of SEATED shows in Europe (i did not go to germany or britain) for those prices, and the only thing that kept me from freaking out about the prices I've payed myself is denial, plain and simple.

Still, I can't wait to be in denial again!!

Jelle

And to stay on topic: I'd buy their new music!

Date: January 12, 2008 02:34

Justin
Indeed the biggest shame is that if only the Stones lowered prices...you would see an incredible amount of younger people at the shows. College kids and high school kids would flood every show....I don't doubt that at all. The effects of lowering prices for more younger crowds would be unbelievable.

The reaction from the Isle of Wight experience proves that.

Posted by: Slimharpo ()
Date: January 12, 2008 02:42

I don't think I'm alone when I say that many of us who heard the first radio song from Bridges which was "Anybody Seen My Baby" or from Bigger Bang "Which was Streets Of Love" tried to like it, but said to ourselves "Oh shit, it sucks," and I'm Stones fan biased towards liking their stuff so I would say the enthusiasm wanes a lot.

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: January 12, 2008 03:34

I think Don Was is great for the Stones and has produced nothing but excellent music with them!

As for that comment, I think a big deal is being made out of nothing. I kind of see where he is coming from. It is only real devoted Stones fans that get excited by the new albums, I know many stones fans who gave up buying new stones music a long time ago.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2015
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home