Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

"Gimme Shelter' English Script for Chinese Students
Posted by: coldturkey ()
Date: November 18, 2007 09:12

Hi
Its been a while since I was here but i do have a request.
In about a week as part of a 'British Culture' program I plan to show my students (These are kids planning to live and study in the UK) the movie 'Gimme Shelter'. To make some of it more entertaining/understandable to them I am trying to find the transcript of the movie - a clear, fairly accurate one. This will allow them to follow the movie and allow me to explain some of the terminology etc.
I hope one of you guys can help me. ieohmingpeijj@yahoo.co.uk
Thank you and take care
David

Re: "Gimme Shelter' English Script for Chinese Students
Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 18, 2007 13:00

Slip 'em some acid and get Sonny Barger to drop by for the showing...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: gstone ()
Date: November 18, 2007 16:59

Just love the way you're thinking... I'd be happy to be one of the students. However, the terminologies and "street language" has changed a bit since the movie was made. And, if we're going to be really honest about it, there's a lot more interresting music than speach in "Gimme Shelter"... But I love the idea, it might be the wrong movie, though. Just give it some thought!

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: November 18, 2007 18:13

I don't know why in the world someone would show Chinese students a film depicting Altamont.

Yes, Gimme Shelter is a great movie....but it seems odd to show this very bleak and very powerful documentary that captures such an unfortunate event as a way of introduction to our world. "And here's something we think is really great..."

That film isn't even a good representation of "British Culture." A British band ,yes...but they play American music on an American tour in a film made by Americans.

Be a goodwill ambassador, and don't treat your students like lab rats.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 18, 2007 19:50

yeah - Stones in the Park would have more to do with British culture, wouldn't it?
i've used excerpts from that and Gimme Shelter very effectively in classes about cultural differences,
but if i were focussing on British culture, Gimme Shelter isn't a film i'd choose as "representative".

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: November 18, 2007 20:12

Perhaps a lighthearted approach would work better.

Maybe Benny Hill or Monty Python?

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: November 18, 2007 20:15

Austin Powers 2: the Spy Who shagged me, including bonus features.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-11-19 02:46 by ryanpow.

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: November 18, 2007 22:15

loog droog Wrote:

> Be a goodwill ambassador, and don't treat your
> students like lab rats.

treat your lab rats as students and get them out of the lab!

Date: November 20, 2007 17:24

Thanks for the thought. Actually this part of the british culture deals with the 60's/70's invasion of the usa. The beatles are overdone and these kids know nothing of the stones - its tied in with the end of the flower power culture and altermont is often quoted as ending this 60's ideal. There are things before and after this - its just one of them. Culture is tied up with history and one must understand the past in order to put the future into perspective. The whole movie would not be shown, only extracts with discussion/projects in between.
thanks again
David

Date: November 20, 2007 17:27

hi
read my reply to gstone. get your point but you rather spoil it by the bad mannered remark at the end - what did i do to provoke you? anyway, don't bother answering.

Date: November 20, 2007 17:28

good point - check my reply to gstone - just don't have Hyde Park available to me.
Thanks
david

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: November 20, 2007 17:31

loog droog Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I don't know why in the world someone would show
> Chinese students a film depicting Altamont.

Why not??

Date: November 20, 2007 17:34

in china i have learnt by mistakes to avoid 'entertainment' for the kids (these are university students by the way) There's a fine line between what they listen too and what they don't. Python would be completely lost on most of them and would need too much other material to put it into perspective. benny Hill would be unacceptable to many authorities here. Music is music, they listen but the power of music and of the changes music has been involved in is an unknown concept to them and one they have shown interest in before. Also please read my reply to gstone and please note my views are just mine only but they have and do work for me with these kids.
thank you
david

Date: November 20, 2007 17:35

they know these movies well - there are other reasonsd as to why i use what I do - check out my other replies and thank you
David

Date: November 20, 2007 17:39

and thats what I try to do - get them out of the 'lab', free them up a little. They have no knowledge of the world outside china (very little) and I begin to do my bit by starting with the past and working forward - to cram into one year what it took me 45 years to find out whilst teaching them a second language at the same time.

what I wish is that someone could just make it a little easier for me by giving me access to a script

thank you
david

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 20, 2007 21:37

>> what I wish is that someone could just make it a little easier for me by giving me access to a script <<

yeah, that would be helpful, along with all the unasked-for advice! :E
if i knew where you could find a transcript, i'd point it out to you for sure,
but i kinda doubt it's floating around on line, since it's copyrighted and all.
there *are* some interesting sites with background details about Altamont,
but i reckon you've googled them for yourself already.

(where in China are you, if one might ask? i lived there for a while ... Shanghai, to be exact.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-11-20 21:40 by with sssoul.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1550
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home