Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
IORR versions, which one do you prefer?
Posted by: django ()
Date: November 17, 2007 17:18

Which version of IORR do you prefer, the album version
or the video version? IMO the video version has a more
Stones-like sound but the album version has something
special.

BTW: Does anyone know why a different version was
used for the video?

Re: IORR versions, which one do you prefer?
Posted by: rooster ()
Date: November 17, 2007 17:26

love you live version

Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: November 17, 2007 17:36

LYL version

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 17, 2007 17:46

Studio version. The way it sounds like its almost going to fall apart in the last couple of minutes with the guitars playing off the beat is something that they probably couldnt have repeated on another take. Its fabulous.

Speaks volumes that when Charlie heard Kenney Jones' drumming on the backing track, he chose not to overdub his own part on it, saying it was perfect the way it was.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-11-17 17:50 by Gazza.

Posted by: inopeng ()
Date: November 17, 2007 17:58

"The way it sounds like its almost going to fall apart in the last couple of minutes with the guitars playing off the beat is something that they probably couldnt have repeated on another take. Its fabulous."

So true, Gazza.

I also like the live versions from LA 1975 (the one after Mick introduces the band and tries to get Bill to smile), St. Louis 1997, and Drake's Nashville 2002 version.

By the way, what happened to Drake?

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: November 17, 2007 18:17

Every time I have seen them play it live it was a mess. The LYL version is awesome. Loads of raw power.

It' along with Miss You, has become a good 'go for a beer' break at the shows.

Date: November 17, 2007 18:28

The album version. Even though it always sounds great the Chuck Berry style live version means that something of the original is lost.

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: November 17, 2007 18:47

Original from the Vid with the sailor suits and soap bubbles...Much rawer Keith Geetar than on the LP.

JR

Re: IORR
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 17, 2007 19:14

the video rendition , with the album rendition close on its heels;
it never really did it for me in concert until 05/06, but some of those were totally hot.

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: November 17, 2007 20:56

LA 1975 is a great rocky and raunchy version.

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: November 17, 2007 20:57

the 75 and 76 versions....kicks hard....like they should!!

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: November 17, 2007 21:09

Always liked the video(demo) version better-seems more spontanious. Could this have been the reason it was chosen for the video? A more "live" feel?

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: November 17, 2007 21:20

it was better in the 70s but recentley it sounds really good on the Rio DVD. thats my favorite modern day version.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: November 17, 2007 22:19

Stockholm Cirkus 2003, and of course the studio version.

Date: November 17, 2007 22:35

The video version is really good. I love Keith's tone on that particular version. That's probably my favourite.

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: November 17, 2007 23:32

Love you live version....with a great ending.....

Date: November 17, 2007 23:41

scottkeef Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Always liked the video(demo) version better-seems
> more spontanious. Could this have been the reason
> it was chosen for the video? A more "live" feel?

I don't think that the video version is a demo of the album version. It sounds very different to the album track. Different speed, vocals, arrangement etc. A complete different recording. As far as I know the album version is the result of a development of a recording that started in the garage of Ronnies house in London, The Wick. Anyway, the album version is my favorite. It was my first single of the band and it started a lifetime Stones addiction. If I had to choose a live version, the one from the '97 St. Louis concert, B-Stage, kicks ass.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-11-17 23:42 by django.

Date: November 17, 2007 23:49

>> in the garage of Ronnie's house <<

smile: the basement, wasn't it? but yeah: the "demo" for the album version would be the one made there,
with Ronnie's guitar that Keith erased (leaving only Ronnie's 12-string) and replaced with his own

Date: November 17, 2007 23:55

it's been well documented that the video version is indeed the demo recorded during rons solo sessions. as stated earlier kenny jones was doing a take off on charlie and it was so good charlie elected to leave it alone. in my opinion the best sounding version of this is on mickboys "short and curlies" iorr remaster.

Date: November 17, 2007 23:55

with sssoul Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> >> in the garage of Ronnie's house <<
>
> smile: the basement, wasn't it? but yeah: the
> "demo" for the album version would be the one
> made there,
> with Ronnie's guitar that Keith erased (leaving
> only Ronnie's 12-string) and replaced with his own

Of course, the basement is correct because Keith was living in the garage at that time.

Date: November 18, 2007 00:01

>> it's been well documented that the video version is indeed the demo recorded during rons solo sessions <<

hm. if you're saying it's the version with Ronnie on electric guitar, not Keith: what are your sources for that?
Kenny Jones on drums is well documented, i agree; and Willy Weeks on bass a bit less well documented -
but that doesn't mean they used the take with Ronnie's electric guitar on the video.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-11-18 00:08 by with sssoul.

Date: November 18, 2007 00:07

just offhand I suppose the source I consider most credible is "mickboy" of torn and frayed fame who refers to this as the original ron wood home demo that the stones used to build the song. It can be found in the extensive track notes that he provides with most of his releases.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: November 18, 2007 00:15

Mickboy's comments aren't worth a shit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-11-18 00:25 by Erik_Snow.

Date: November 18, 2007 00:15

>> the original Ron Wood home demo that the Stones used to build the song <<

well, but the fact that they used that take as the basis for the track
doesn't mean they used the version with Ronnie's guitar in the promo video.
everything i've ever heard/read about it says Keith erased Ronnie's guitar (except the 12-string)
and replaced it with his own; and that they prepared another take specially for the promo video.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-11-18 00:17 by with sssoul.

Date: November 18, 2007 00:48

o.k. exact quote "From the promo video and also the original Ron Wood home demo The Stones used...." Ssoul, I can see where saying "well documented" could be interpeted as being too much of a blanket statement so my bad choice of words. But everything I've ever heard/read is kinda in the same category without some source. Erik, did someone kick your dog today? Even if you think torn and frayed is overated his comments should carry as much validity as yours. People should be able to disagree with some civility. django,you said the song sounds "different from the album track" and "a whole different recording". I totally agree. I thought a demo WAS that by definition. to demonstrate what the song was envisioned to become.

Posted by: birdrum ()
Date: November 18, 2007 00:52

the one on the bootleg pearls at swine 78 woodstock rehearsals cooks!

Date: November 18, 2007 01:01

>> django, you said the song sounds "different from the album track" and "a whole different recording".
I totally agree. I thought a demo WAS that by definition. <<

sigh: if the track recorded in Ronnie's basement was the basis for the album track -
as every source i've ever read/heard says - it wasn't a "whole different recording", right?
it was the basis for the album track: same Kenny, same Willy, same acoustic 12-string Ronnie.
if you're saying they used the exact basement recording in the video, you're saying
it isn't a whole different track from the album version. django is saying it is totally different.

meanwhile, thanks for the quote from Mickboy - what comes next, though? it doesn't seem to be complete.
so far it also doesn't seem like it's necessarily saying the video version is the version with all-Ronnie guitars -
yes it's "from" Ronnie's basement, but we know that already. (well, django feels the video version is totally different,
but that's django's position and i'm sure he can defend it himself.)

and you're right, i am not prepared to list every place i've ever heard/read anyone discuss this track,
but here are a few for a start: Ronnie in multiple interviews and books; this site here: [www.timeisonourside.com] and nzentgraf.de.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-11-18 01:18 by with sssoul.

Date: November 18, 2007 01:08

Yeah Scottkeef, people keep kicking my dog around,
but seriously; you might as well read about such info in The Sun; Mickboy is no authority at all, no way can you call him "credible".

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2007-11-18 13:23 by Erik_Snow.

Date: November 18, 2007 01:10

Gazza, couldn't agree more about your comments on the original LP version of IORR, what a R&R shackle - no version can compare, IMO

Date: November 18, 2007 01:35

You are correct Sssoul. once again I fall way short of articulating my thoughts. I guess I meant a demo(especially with the ability to overdub) can be the same "basic" recording and different at the same time. I'm not even sure if that makes sense!! But to answer your question the complete text: From the video version and also the original Ron Wood home demo The Stones used to build It"s Only Rock'n Roll on. If you always wanted to hear the original and didn"t have a copy of the video promo...here it is: released in legitimate quality for the very first time. I do not know his sources. For what its worth according to Bill Wyman in "Rolling With The Stones" page 424- "The original version done at Woody's house featured Mick and Ronnie Wood on guitars,Willie Weeks on bass and Kenney Jones on drums. We went on to record over-dubs at Musicland in Munich." and thank you for the sites very much.very informative. And thats all I've got to say about that. just call me forrest!!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1287
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home