Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Howlin' for Hubert reviews
Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: November 17, 2007 06:59

Just got home. great show. I wish i could review it like a Stones show, but even though I know all the songs, I dont rememeber all the song titles they played.

The band was great. Buddy Flett did a great opening set of his own blues, plus some covers. He is a great blues guiatrist. I thought he'd be part of the main show, but he was just the opener.

The main show started with Koko Taylor's Wang Dang Doodle, which was great. The crowd was into he show all night. Other highlights were Evil, Superstitious (title?) Smokestack Lightning and, of course, Howlin' Wolf's Little Red Rooster. Another "Stones song" covered was Look What You Done.

The band played for two hours and not a down moment, There was, as expected, the Happy Birthday sing along for Hubert, complete with the guitar shaped cake. He never stopped smiling all night!

I was a little surprised they didnt let Levon helm lead one Band song; he was truly a back up musician tonight, but seemed to be having ball nonetheless.

I took some pics. I will try and post them, if anyone cares. I know it has been done before, but if someone can post the directions to do so, i will give it a shot over the weekend...

All and all, a great night. If anyone else was there and can give us a ful set list that would be great!

Re: Howlin' for Hubert reviews
Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: November 17, 2007 07:02

yes please post pictures if you can. Hubert is such a class act.

Posted by: rocknola ()
Date: November 17, 2007 07:57

I thought the show was okay.Didn't think it was loud enough.Can't say much for the venue. They were understaffed and it seemed they weren't prepared for a crowd.They advertised a "full menu" which was basically hamburgers and fries.But they closed the kitchen because they couldn't keep up with the orders.Actually had to go across the street and bring in a sandwich from the deli.Bartenders extremely slow. As far as the crowd I thought they were very low key. Hubert makes guitar playing effortless. He really is talented. Blondie was definitely in a "groove." I took some picture and video will try to post soon. remember IORR(bili)

Posted by: little queenie ()
Date: November 17, 2007 11:06

so keith didn't show. kahoosier - i see you're online - i think i feel like you did when you missed the buddy guy show in '06 then found out that the stones didn't show.

i'm sure it was a great show? were there any special, unannounced guests?

Date: November 17, 2007 11:29

ok - so i thought david johannsen was mick (with long hair)...wishful thinking i guess - but am happy i didn't miss mick.

thanks to beast for the photo:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-11-17 12:26 by little queenie.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 17, 2007 11:44

Is it Mick or David Johansen...?

ROCKMAN

Posted by: rooster ()
Date: November 17, 2007 11:45

i was thinkin that too!!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 17, 2007 11:50

ROCKMAN

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 17, 2007 11:51

HalfNanker, here's a thread with instructions for posting photos: [www.iorr.org]

Posted by: Beast ()
Date: November 17, 2007 19:09

Thanks sssoul - here goes my first try:

Date: November 17, 2007 19:17

not as good as the prior post, but here are a couple more:

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: November 17, 2007 19:17

ahh, the Glamourous Beast! thanks for the photos -
everyone's lookin well despite or perhaps because of
your best FOS efforts to distract 'em :E

Date: November 17, 2007 21:05

thanks to all for the very cool pics! wish I could've been there. Is it just me or does Blondie look REALLY high!!!

Date: November 17, 2007 23:49

those are great pics - were they from the standing area or the exclusive tables? blondie looks like he has a good buzz going, for sure...

Posted by: oldkr ()
Date: November 18, 2007 00:13

scottkeef Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> thanks to all for the very cool pics! wish I
> could've been there. Is it just me or does Blondie
> look REALLY high!!!

Blondie always looks high- its only most of the time that he is!

OLDKR

Date: November 18, 2007 00:14

mine were from a table about 75-100 feet back. There was a large (15-20) group on stage left, most of whom had cameras. I guess there were no tables over there, or the people at the table stood up. That was the best place for pics.

I have to say, I was impressed with Blondies voice. He has a real deep bluesy sound when he sings.

Date: November 18, 2007 00:58

your right bout that, HalfNanker. The vocals Blondie contributes on Huberts cd "Bout Them Shoes" sound great!

Date: November 18, 2007 08:08

little queenie Wrote:
> those are great pics - were they from the standing
> area or the exclusive tables? blondie looks like
> he has a good buzz going, for sure...

From a front row table. Yes, Blondie was musically on form. But I don't generally find him to be a big smiley person. One description I heard of him last night was "less than cordial". But he did kindly sign his CD Between Us for me - which IMHO is a great album. I play it a lot.

Posted by: john r ()
Date: November 18, 2007 20:20

Thanks very much for the pictures...I wish I was there. So I'll go play Hubert's "About Them Shoes" (the one with David Jo, Blondie, Keith, Levon, and a marvelous understated production), then Wolf's "Real Folk/More Real Folk Blues", "Definitive" (better sound than the box), the 2-cd of rarities, and the 2-CD "London Sessions" with Hubert and the Stones and Clapton.

Posted by: the juf ()
Date: November 18, 2007 21:48

oldkr Wrote:
> scottkeef Wrote:
> > thanks to all for the very cool pics! wish I
> > could've been there. Is it just me or does
> Blondie
> > look REALLY high!!!
>
>
> Blondie always looks high- its only most of the
> time that he is!
>
> OLDKR

sheer crap!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-11-18 21:49 by the juf.

Date: November 18, 2007 22:02

the juf Wrote:
>
> sheer crap!

actually it's not - not that there's anything wrong with that...

Posted by: dandelion22 ()
Date: November 19, 2007 15:33

great pics...thanks
I was there front and center.
Saw the guys laying low to take pictures..I'm curious as to who you photogs are.I saw one guy with a colorful cap on being told he shouldn't have been wearing it.Strange to be told something like that especially from a stranger.
It was tough to sit with that music pulsing through my body so i stood next to the pack of people in front of Hubert.
Fantastic night of music!
Most bizarre venue i've ever been in..it would have to be another very special event to get me through that door.

Date: November 19, 2007 22:17

This is a she-photog. Was at the second front table to the left with two others of my own fair sex. Who made that comment about the cap? As for the venue, it looked as if it had never had to cope with that many people ever before! But we were told by the local cabdriver that it had only just reopened not long ago - she said it was previously some kind of problem nightclub venue with endless fights going on outside.

Posted by: dandelion22 ()
Date: November 20, 2007 16:01

That makes sense that it recently reopened.
I don't know who the man was who telling the photographer what to wear but he was also telling others to get out of his way.I was a few feet away from him and thought it was strange.
I don't think he worked there.Just some weirdo.
Sorry for the gender confusion.I did see a few women taking pics but mostly men.From the angle of your shots i thought you might have been the person with the hat.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1015
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home