Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT- Led Zeppelin's remastered "The Song Remains The Same" CD and DVD now available!
Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: November 13, 2007 15:27

According to an article in my local newspaper by the music critic, the CD and DVD are on sale today. Originally an article in Modern Guitars Magazine listed a release date of November 20th. A week early is fine with me, I've been waiting for this one for a long time. I believe the DVD is being called "Mothership". I remember seeing this in downtown theatre when I was a teenager. Anyone else picking this one up?

Track Listing of The Song Remains The Same Soundtrack
Disc One
1. Rock And Roll
2. Celebration Day
3. Black Dog*
4. Over The Hills*
5. Misty Mountain Hop*
6. Since I've Been Loving You*
7. No Quarter
8. The Song Remains The Same
9. Rain Song
10. The Ocean*

Disc Two
1. Dazed And Confused
2. Stairway To Heaven
3. Moby Dick
4. Heartbreaker*
5. Whole Lotta Love

*Not on original soundtrack release

Re: OT- Led Zeppelin's remastered "The Song Remains The Same" CD and DVD now available!
Posted by: tatters ()
Date: November 13, 2007 16:33

SRTS is out next week. The Mothership compilation is out today.

Re: OT- Led Zeppelin's remastered "The Song Remains The Same" CD and DVD now available!
Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: November 13, 2007 17:13

Mothership. Yet another rip-off. They released early & latter days just a few years ago. As someone said in another thread, poor collectors.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-11-13 18:26 by Svartmer.

Date: November 14, 2007 15:15

Svartmer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mothership. Yet another rip-off. They released
> early & latter days just a few years ago. As
> someone said in another thread, poor collectors.

Why is it a ripoff?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 14, 2007 15:19

its a rip off because how many best of led zepplin will the put out ?

Date: November 14, 2007 15:36

The Greek Wrote:
> its a rip off because how many best of led zepplin
> will the put out ?

I don't consider it a ripoff if a band continues to release material for its fans and listeners. It's called satisfying the desires of demand.

Maybe the Stones should take notice and pay attention to its fanbase as well.

Posted by: Stones Blah ()
Date: November 14, 2007 15:48

It is a live album. Not a best of Zep.

Date: November 14, 2007 15:59

The Mothership CD isn´t live. The DVD contains of earlier released live material.
TSRTS is live and remastered and that was about time.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: November 14, 2007 16:16

Does anybody know if the bonus tracks "Misty Mountain Hop", "Since I've Been Loving You" and "The Ocean" are the same as the ones released as part of the MSG '73 portion of the Led Zeppelin "DVD"?

Posted by: Stones Blah ()
Date: November 14, 2007 16:26

Svartmer Wrote:
> The Mothership CD isn´t live.

Wow you are right! Another best of, sad.

Date: November 14, 2007 17:14

LieB Wrote:
> Does anybody know if the bonus tracks "Misty
> Mountain Hop", "Since I've Been Loving You" and
> "The Ocean" are the same as the ones released as
> part of the MSG '73 portion of the Led Zeppelin
> "DVD"?

From the Modern Guitars Magazine interview:

As Jimmy Page indicates in a pre-release one-sheet, the two titles represent more than a simple remixing and remastering. "We have revisited [emphasis added] The Song Remains The Same," says Page, "and can now offer the complete set as played at Madison Square Garden. This differs substantially from the original soundtrack released in 1976, and highlights the technical prowess of Kevin Shirley, who worked with us on How The West Was Won. When it comes to The Song Remains The Same, the expansion of the DVD and soundtrack are as good as it gets on the Led Zeppelin wish list."

Although intended as a movie and not a documentary or standard concert video, The Song Remains The Same centers on three Led Zeppelin concerts that took place on July 27, 28 and 29, 1973, at Madison Square Garden in New York City. The 1976 theatrical release of The Song Remains The Same was a patchwork quilt of audio and video edits that included audio and concert footage from the MSG shows, subsequent soundstage elements, and the famous "fantasy sequences" starring each Led Zeppelin member - Robert Plant, Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones and John Bonham. Though it may have been state of the art in the early to mid-'70s, the surviving members of Led Zeppelin (John Bonham passed away in 1980) felt that the movie soundtrack could be enhanced through advances made in recording technology since the film and soundtrack's original release and enlisted the aid of producer and sound engineer Kevin Shirley with whom they had worked on previous projects, such as 2003's re-working of How The West Was Won and the live compilation Led Zeppelin DVD.

According to the new The Song Remains The Same liner notes written by Cameron Crowe in August of this year:

"In the years following the group's breakup, Page had promised to return to the best-recorded document of their heady middle-period peak in 1973, those kinetic summer nights at Madison Square Garden. In 2003 Jimmy assembled the highly successful live compilation Led Zeppelin DVD with engineer Kevin Shirley, [and] the band began to circle the recordings, and their filmic record, The Song Remains The Same. Legalities prevented any re-editing of the film itself. The quest began to refurbish the picture's soundscape. 'We wanted it to sound as it did, as strong as it was, a bit cocky and precocious,' says Plant of the process. 'With [Dolby] 5.1 (sound), we knew we had a chance. We trolled through, dug into it, and there it was. Finally, there was the warmth and the feel of the room (Madison Square Garden) and it sounded good. It's of its time, so confident. It was the '70s...it was 'Let's have a go at this!'"

As mentioned by Jimmy Page above, the new The Song Remains The Same 2-CD soundtrack features the entire set from the MSG concerts by including "Black Dog," "Over The Hills And Far Away," "Misty Mountain Hop," "Since I've Been Loving You," "The Ocean," and "Heartbreaker," which do not appear on the original soundtrack release.

Posted by: R ()
Date: November 14, 2007 17:29

I decided, for my own edification, to conduct a little research....

Zep "Early Days" issued Fall 1999 / Mothership CD 1 issued Fall 2007

1. Good Times Bad Times / same

2. Babe I'm Gonna Leave You / Communication B'down

3. Dazed And Confused / same

4. Communication Breakdown / Babe I'm Gonna Leave You

5. Whole Lotta Love / same

6. What Is And What Should Never Be / Ramble On

7. Immigrant Song / Heartbreaker

8. Since I've Been Loving You / Immigrant Song

9. Black Dog / Since I've Been Loving You

10. Rock And Roll / same

11. The Battle Of Evermore / Black Dog

12. When The Levee Breaks / same

13. Stairway To Heaven / same

Led Zep "Latter Days" issued Spring 2000 / Mothership CD 1 issued Fall 2007

1. The Song Remains The Same / same

2. No Quarter / Over The Hills And Farway

3. Houses Of The Holy / D'Yer Maker

4. Trampled Underfoot / No Quarter

5. Kashmir / Trampled Under Foot

6. Ten Years Gone / Houses of The Holy

7. Achilles Last Stand / Kashmir

8. Nobody's Fault But Mine / same

9. All My Love / Achilles'

10. In The Evening / same

11. ------ / All My Love

Posted by: Nanker Phlegm ()
Date: November 14, 2007 20:03

I've had a copy of both for some weeks now, Mothership is handy but of course poibtless, SRTS is an expanded version of what was hardly the ebst live album (compared to some of the boots).

My niece's compamy is doing the PR for both albums, she is on the case for o2 tickets but chances are slim as its not her account. Now if it was the Who, she offered me tickets for the rreent film premiere but i wasn't arsed.

Posted by: harlito1969 ()
Date: November 14, 2007 20:55

The Greek Wrote:
> its a rip off because how many best of led zepplin
> will the put out ?

Led Zep greatest hits is absurd anyway. I remember with each album I got it was like a greatest hits collection. People should just collect them all.

Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: November 14, 2007 21:10

best of zep ,,it¨'s nothing worth..if you grew up with zep's four first album.
the same thing best of stones..

Posted by: R ()
Date: November 14, 2007 21:49

harlito1969 Wrote:

>
> Led Zep greatest hits is absurd anyway. I remember
> with each album I got it was like a greatest hits
> collection. People should just collect them all.

True dat. You can download the whole catalog or buy it in beautiful box sets for $100. Ends up being $10 per.

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: November 14, 2007 22:08

iTunes has been blessed with the entire Zep studio collection.

Date: November 15, 2007 03:24

My main interest in the TSRTS remaster. Now that it is a complete compilation it is worth the $20.00 investment.

Of course probably missing since it is a combination of 3 shows, is the between song banter and audience sounds. This is where boots make the cut. For me, losing the between the song stuff kind of cheapens the show.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: November 15, 2007 03:32

how much major ass does this kick?
plenty. in fact, seems to me it's TOTAL kickass...
[video.aol.com]

now available!!!! just a click away, a click away, yeaahhhhhhhhh

can you believe how hard-hitting and savage bonham is here? whoa...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-11-15 03:48 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: November 15, 2007 16:41

harlito1969 Wrote:
> The Greek Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > its a rip off because how many best of led
> zepplin
> > will the put out ?
>
>
> Led Zep greatest hits is absurd anyway. I remember
> with each album I got it was like a greatest hits
> collection. People should just collect them all.

Yeah, a best of Zeppelin makes about as much sense as a best of Pink Floyd. Although it's interesting to hear the tracks in a different context, you can accomplish the same thing just by hitting the shuffle button.

Date: November 25, 2007 22:16

I have the two remastered Zeppelin-boxes from 1991 resp. 1993 and they sound very good. A friend came over with Mothership and we realized that there´s almost no improvement from my old boxes. Strange.
The remastered TSRTS on the other side sounds really good compared to the old CD.

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: November 25, 2007 22:32

Other than TSRTS, I have both of the box sets, which contain just about all of the rarities, plus "Live at the BBC" AND the DVD. I also have the 1980 Zurich show bootleg.

Other than a possible future DVD of the reunion tour, I've got all of the Zep I need.

That being said, "Mothership" seems pointless, unless you have no Zep on CD at all.

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: November 25, 2007 23:18

Having watched Disk 2 (The Extras) of TSRTS last night, I would say, on a positive point, that the sound is absoutely superb.

However, please be warned! The overall DVD production is very untidy indeed, with each live cut being interspersed by interviews, news clips etc in a very odd running order.

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: November 26, 2007 01:59

XM radio now has 24/7 Zeppelin on channel 59

Posted by: jabhead ()
Date: November 26, 2007 02:05

Anyone notice the new TSRTS Cd is edited? They used the edited movie versions of No Quarter and Dazed and Confused verses the original Full CD and LP versions.

I checked no quarter and it is two minutes shorter on the new CD. Keep your old copies.

sound is great though.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1530
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home