Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Got LIVE If You Want It! LP
Posted by: franzk ()
Date: November 10, 2007 00:50

When was the last time we discussed this great album?

I have a reason though to bring this topic up. Since ever I've known this LP only from vinyl version, so I finally decided to buy the CD. I purchased Japanese vinyl replica edition from 2006. Sound is mixed better, however I don't like how the audience was put back. Screaming audience was the essence of this album. Despite badly overdubbing end editing, the music itself is fabulous and raging kids made me always jump around my room when I was young. It was like a hurricane. Now it does not have such power. Or maybe I'm too old now...

Anyway, there are some changes I noticed on CD. Correct me if I'm wrong:

1. Intro (the announcer part) is longer on CD than on LP. Or is it different intro?

2. Fortune Teller is shortened. It ends abruptly on CD.

3. On LP Have You Seen Your Mother went directly into Satisfaction. Now there's a few second brake in between the songs.

4. Satisfaction fades out waaay too early on CD. On LP they were repeating the last part which was great. I miss it especially.

Any other significant changes I didn't notice?

Re: Got LIVE If You Want It! LP
Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: November 10, 2007 01:46

Agree with all the above. Doesnt come across well in Stereo....Mono LP MUCH superior.

JR

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: November 10, 2007 01:56

Under My Thumb came from a different UK show on the CD, but I don't know if it counts for all versions...maybe just the one released in the 80s

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-11-10 01:56 by Erik_Snow.

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: November 10, 2007 03:35

The EP of the same name from 1965 is ten times better. A terrific little record, bursting with energy.

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: November 10, 2007 04:15

Agreed, Gazza...completely different than the US LP, and infinately superior.

JR

Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: November 10, 2007 10:17

I'M ALRIGHT is the same version ,on ep / cd.overdubbed song on lp/cd

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: November 10, 2007 11:44

They should have released Paris 1967 show as a live recording. The bootleg has great quality, songs are played really well too. No needs for overdubs. And shows from 67 had also pretty interesting setlist: Get Off Of My Cloud / Yesterday's Papers Medley, Goin' Home / Satisfaction Medley, they probably played She Smiled Sweetly too, but it's not on the bootleg.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: November 10, 2007 11:55

franzk Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They should have released Paris 1967 show as a
> live recording. The bootleg has great quality,
> songs are played really well too. No needs for
> overdubs. And shows from 67 had also pretty
> interesting setlist: Get Off Of My Cloud /
> Yesterday's Papers Medley, Goin' Home /
> Satisfaction Medley, they probably played She
> Smiled Sweetly too, but it's not on the bootleg.

yes, although I love Got Live If You Want It LP this album is troubled with bad mixes and patchwork like studio tracks with screaming overdubs to make them sound live (Fortune Teller and Loving You Too Long) and some tracks added from 1965 like Its Alright and Time Is On My Side so its not actually a "1966 Royal Albert Hall" show!

Paris 1967 would have been great. But I still regard the 1965 Got Live EP recordings as the best live document from the era. such great energy, and also musically really really great. in addition to the official Got Live EP tracks, some outtakes in official quality (!) are floating around on various bootlegs, like Time Is On My Side (much better sound than on the official Got Live Live LP, although its the same take!!!), Everybody Needs Somebody To Love (full version) and the best of them all a cooking live version of Down The Road Apiece. Makes me think that more recordings from the UK 1965 tour are still in the vaults and that with a little effort, a great great great 1965 live LONGPLAY CD could be created by ABKCO which would throw the Got Live LP from 1966 into the dust.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2007-11-10 11:58 by alimente.

Posted by: mikey ()
Date: November 10, 2007 14:53

Well to try and help cast a little more light (although Chris M is the guy that really knows about all this stuff - come in Chris where are you?)

The cd exists as three different entities.

Version 1. ABCKO release 1986.

Different and longer intro (Long John Baldry was the compere) Diffferent Under My Thumb and longer Satisfaction which even includes the sound of the audience struggling to leave the venue as the National Anthem grinds mournfully in the background.

Mono recording.

Version 2. The London release 1990 (easily id'd by the red and blue London logo and part of the set of difficult to get MFSL based cds which werre around for a while in the late eighties and nineties).

Shorter and different intro and different Under My Thumb. Shorter Satisfaction No outro and essentially the same as the HORZU LP which was a Decca import in the late 60's early 70's.

Stereo - insofar as the instruments are left channel, voices right channel and audience are all around

Version 3. The current incarnation is essentially the same as version 1 but better quality and minus the outro on Satisfaction (although the liner states that it's 3.46 as version 1 it's actually only 3.01 minutes)

So obviously culled from several sources, Coulston Hall Bristol and Newcastle spring to mind. All the songs bar Fortune Teller and I've Been Loving You to Long were on the set list. More info can be found in Bill Wyman's excellent Rolling with the Stones book which he deserves a medal for. Despite what the man's detractors say he has a real passion for reminding the world just what a phenomenon this band was in their heyday.

Real anorak stuff this I need to get out more - but hope it helps.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: November 10, 2007 15:31

The vocals on the 'live' tracks are overdubs as are some of the guitars etc.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: November 10, 2007 17:14

they really should consider issuing some 60s live material. The few shows that can be found with high quality sound are tremendous.

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: November 10, 2007 18:11

It's my least favorite Stones album.
Played it a couple of times, but it never got to me.

Posted by: sweet things ()
Date: November 10, 2007 19:00

A reissue with a correct mix would be excellent. It's a very tight sounding record and the 'screams' are a key part of the nuance/energy of the recording.
Fortune Teller is GREAT!

For fans who were not around for the 60's this one is a gem, i missed this era and I would definitely like to hear more LIVE concerts from this period.

p.s. the title of this record is second to none

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: November 10, 2007 19:13

stone-relics Wrote:
> Doesnt come across well
> in Stereo....Mono LP MUCH superior.
>
> JR

I just listend to my HĂ–RZU vinyl, which I've had for ages - Still great.
it's some kinda stereo, but mainly the overdubbed vocals are on the right, and the band on the left side.
it's weired but it works.
so I wonder how is the stereo image setup on the CD?

Posted by: cc ()
Date: November 10, 2007 19:44

I think the stones' own tendency is to write off this period of live playing as when they couldn't be heard over the screams, they played 30-minute sets, and these weren't "real shows." Listening to the Paris boots from each year shows that they were a tremendous live act, even without being able to see mick's performance. This is what they built their reputation on, more than their records, I would think. It would be good to see something of this era given a proper release... something new especially! (I'd buy it, I really would!)

Date: November 10, 2007 20:35

BowieStone Wrote:
> It's my least favorite Stones album.
> Played it a couple of times, but it never got to
> me.

I understand your position, but try putting the scratchy LP on at a crowded party where there's room for dancing! It's a great ice breaker!

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Date: November 10, 2007 20:58

sweet things Wrote:
> A reissue with a correct mix would be excellent.
> It's a very tight sounding record and the
> 'screams' are a key part of the nuance/energy of
> the recording.
> Fortune Teller is GREAT!

It should be, as the version on the album is a 1963 studio recording.

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: November 10, 2007 21:06

Gazza Wrote:
> The EP of the same name from 1965 is ten times
> better. A terrific little record, bursting with
> energy.

Agree 100% with that . The EP is raw energy. My scanner is broken or I'd try to post the sleeve.....ANYONE?

SC UK

Date: November 11, 2007 00:12

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: November 11, 2007 00:28

all great points. when I first heard this thing I couldnt believe how awful the mix was bus the energy just flattened me. It nearly overloaded the senses! And I agree with all the statements about the few(but great quality) boots from this era. Any could have been released without any touch ups and been better. So once again WHAT IS THE HOLDUP? is it klein??? I thought he LOVED money!!!

Posted by: vancouver ()
Date: November 11, 2007 00:36

paris /65 nme 65 is good quality,,,

but let's us pray for more from the vaults someday !

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: November 11, 2007 14:57

Thanks for the picture Gazza. An early gem.

I gave it a spin last night.

"Oh let me hear you say yeah,let me hear you say yeah...well if you ever plan to motor west.........etc." - goosebumps every time.

sc uk

Posted by: mikey ()
Date: November 11, 2007 19:22

The back of the EP is just as evocative and the picture from behind Charlie's drums we now know is by Bent Rej, who covered much of their touring in 1965 along with Gered Mankowitz.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: November 11, 2007 19:25

scottkeef Wrote:
> all great points. when I first heard this thing I
> couldnt believe how awful the mix was bus the
> energy just flattened me. It nearly overloaded the
> senses! And I agree with all the statements about
> the few(but great quality) boots from this era.
> Any could have been released without any touch ups
> and been better. So once again WHAT IS THE HOLDUP?
> is it klein??? I thought he LOVED money!!!

What money? Rock and Roll Circus barely charted, and that was released over 10 years ago. A live 60s album, released today, wouldn't chart at all.

Posted by: polythene sam ()
Date: November 11, 2007 19:35

I just got Sister Morphine's "Our Last Concert(s) Ever"; 2 CDs of great 60's live stuff in the best quality I've heard yet.

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: November 11, 2007 20:20

Hello!
Got the abkco 1986 "got LIVE if you want it!" for sale in very good condition, just in case somebody might be interested. ( abkco CD 493 )

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: November 12, 2007 00:43

The Got Live If You Want It EP is fantastic. It just leaves you firsty for me.

All 3 Stones EP's were brilliant.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: December 16, 2007 11:40

Big Al Wrote:
> The Got Live If You Want It EP is fantastic. It
> just leaves you firsty for me.
>
> All 3 Stones EP's were brilliant.

yes absolutely. I regard all three Stones EPs as masterpieces in their own right. totally unique. love em!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-12-16 11:41 by alimente.

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: December 16, 2007 11:54

abkco could make a decent version if they blended the ep and lp of got live into one remove the fake live songs and mix it in mono

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: December 16, 2007 17:10

does anyone know if the "I'm Alright" from the US "Out Of Our Heads" is the same version to appear on "Got Live.."?

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2340
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home