Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT-Bruce Springsteen Says His Kids Watch The Daily Show For Truth
Posted by: CrazyDadda ()
Date: November 9, 2007 01:23

Thursday, November 08, 2007
Bruce Springsteen says his kids watch The Daily Show for truth
Bruce Springsteen says that his kids are fans of Comedy Central's The Daily Show, and rely on it for an unbiased and accurate look at the media. Springsteen is one of the many people interviewed in the latest issue of Rolling Stone, the last of three special issues commemorating the magazine's 40th anniversary.

Springsteen said "Jon Stewart is the first modern interpretive media class on television. That's what he does on a nightly basis. My kids, they put The Daily Show on, and they instinctively go, 'Somebody's telling me the truth.' My son was 15 when he got plugged into it. There was a sense that finally the veil is being pulled away. It was the way I felt about (Bob Dylan's album) Highway 61 Revisited: 'My God, the veil is being pulled away, and I'm getting a view of America and the real me.' Unbelievable. It was a life stopping moment."

Also interviewed in the current issue of Rolling Stone are Al Gore, Bill Clinton, Cornel West, Bono, Chris Rock, Meryl Streep, Eddie Vedder, Bill Maher, Jane Goodall, Tom Hanks, Bill Gates, and many others.

Tomorrow night Springsteen will again perform solo at the Joe Torre "Safe At Home" Foundation's fifth annual gala at New York City's Chelsea Piers.

Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band perform on Sunday night (November 11th) in Washington, DC at the Verizon Center.

Re: OT-Bruce Springsteen Says His Kids Watch The Daily Show For Truth
Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: November 9, 2007 02:26

.....as much as I want to say something supportive here, I won't....scelsa, you got anything you want to say?

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: November 9, 2007 02:58

bet u hundred bux they stay tuned in for steven colbert too;
that being said:
as much as i want to say somesthing supportive here, i won't...
;-)

Date: November 9, 2007 03:13

it aint easy is it beely?

Posted by: dj ()
Date: November 9, 2007 03:56

ah, come on boys...say it

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: November 9, 2007 04:44

Oh vey! That's like saying I got the truth from Laugh-In
and equated it with hearing Blonde On Blonde for the first time.
YOu get the truth from satrical TV show? What?!
Bruce ought to take look at the movie Network.
In the words of Howard Beale:
"You're beginning to believe the illusions we're spinning here, you're beginning to believe that the tube is reality and your own lives are unreal. You do. Why, whatever the tube tells you: you dress like the tube, you eat like the tube, you raise your children like the tube, you even think like the tube. This is mass madness, you maniacs. In God's name, you people are the real thing, WE are the illusion. "

Date: November 9, 2007 04:58

....hmmmm....maybe tomk is right.....

Posted by: 5string ()
Date: November 9, 2007 05:02

You ponderin' Lukester? 5

Date: November 9, 2007 05:10

nawww he ain't right. not even close. ridiculous is closer to it.

those shows are super important; much more actual 'news' than any newtwork thing and many, media print outlets. great and important stuff and ALL of young and adult america knows how important they are...and how brilliantly written; colbert's speech directly to the president at the press corp. affair two years ago was one of the most important moments in american culture ever, and was treated as such by every news and media and internet outlet in the world. it almost broke the youtube and the rest of the internets...
bravo jon and steven. great stuff; great writing; great heart. great perspective ane greatly important. bill o'reilly and tomk don't like it.
that's two out of hundreds and hundred of millions. brilliantly funny and deadly accurate in so many ways.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: November 9, 2007 05:43

Beely Boy, understand Blondie loves The Daily Show

Date: November 9, 2007 06:39

stonesrule you got my number. you KNOW if it's anything Blondie I am all over it. cain't get enuff!!!

cool; yeh blondie's got teen kids too dosen't he? he's probably way tuned in on alla this stuff; i'm sure a lot of the players and crew are...thanks for that; really cool.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-11-14 01:28 by Beelyboy.

Date: November 9, 2007 06:40

Beelyboy, you missed my point. It's a satirical television show (not the first
and not the last). I'm not knocking the show. I've seen it. It's funny in places. Everybody loves satire. But you don't like what I wrote so I'm ridculous and then throw in Bill O'Reilly as if that has anything to do with it. I know your game.
All I'm saying is that it's a TELEVISION SHOW! And if you're gonna get the "truth" about anything, you're not gonna find it on television. BElieve me, I know...I work in the business! And if Springsteen had any smarts (no letters, please),he would make his son turn off the TV and give him a vinyl copy of
Highway 61 Revisited and make him listen to that (or in my case Infidels,
with Blind Willie McTell and Foot Of Pride).

Date: November 9, 2007 06:57

let me apologize for the bill o'reilly reference.

you know there's a lot of huge important satirical literary tradition of Great and Important truths that help defined an era or culture. think swift, twain, many more...

i seriously doubt that evan springsteen, or the younger two, haven't been exposed to some very very deep and diverse music since his birth...

I found the truth on TELEVISION...that's where i first saw the Rolling Stones.
That was truly a life changing experience to this day...45 years later.

it's a device. like a telephone. if there's a liar on the other end, it's lies.
if there's someone speaking with heart soul and intelligence in interview or great docu from moyers or the beeb or or whatever...it's as true as the soul of the person who is on the other end of the line.

Colbert & Stewart are comedians. but they are also the ace satirists of their time, in many ways...and that's an important function. laughter defeats tyranny. the king has no clothes on.
in that story, all the 'adults' based in 'reality' and 'maturity' were shocked that this STUPID LITTLE KID would DARE break the narcissitic mirage of the decider, uh, king.

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: November 9, 2007 07:57

Hey Bruce,

I think it's so groovy now that people are finally getting together...

No Nukes Brother, Sun City and all that.....

Colbert and Stewart will be quite quiet with the writers' strike. You didn't think they were so righteously glib on their own, did ya?

Keep on smokin that Chronic dude, and oh yeah, shut up and sing!

Date: November 9, 2007 07:57

Beelyboy, I understand what you mean by seeing the Stones on TV.
I was a decade late (the GHS and IORR promos) but the excitement was there.
Bruce and his son could have talked about the Daily Show, 60 Minutes,
Hannity and Colmes, Gilligan's Island, and my argument would still be the same.
In this day and age, you have to be defensive and filter this stuff out
rather than take it as the so-called "truth."
For instance, I love Mort Sahl and have seen hom on a few occasions.
However, I don't walk out of his shows declaring "Mort just told me the truth."
I was entertained and laughed and that's all I wanted..and I got it.
Actually, I think Lord Buckley told it better than anyone. Ha ha!
Like Dylan says "there's a great temptation to see how false you can be."

Posted by: largelingerie ()
Date: November 9, 2007 09:20

I watch it for the truth, and the levity, too. And, when my 15 1/2 year old son stays up late enough to watch with me, and he "gets it," I feel proud.

Posted by: R ()
Date: November 9, 2007 15:56

Gosh, just before those shows Bruce's kids watch Simpsons reruns so they can learn how normal American families function. You know... the kind without a millions dollars worth of horses in the barn... or a $50K a year highschool tuition... or a Lear Jet liberal hypocrite for a daddy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-11-09 16:39 by R.

Posted by: aslecs ()
Date: November 9, 2007 16:35

Sringsteen gets more stupid by the minute

Posted by: Goldsmith ()
Date: November 9, 2007 16:41

I always thought Springsteen was a loon...now this proves it.

Posted by: TippyToe ()
Date: November 9, 2007 23:26

I was watching the Daily Show the other day and Jon Stewart came on and started telling me how white my shirts could be. But then I realized something - he can't be a man 'cause he doesn't smoke the same cigarettes as me. So there goes his credibility.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1428
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home