Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
A bit of envy
Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: October 28, 2007 06:26

I was watching the MSG footage from Gimme Shelter and i got to thinking: Im envious of those of you who were able to see the Stones in the late 60's-70s. But not just the stones, but groups like the Who (when all members were still alive) or Pink Floyd. This must have been a great time for music, a time before everything from ticket sales to record companies were controlled by a handful of companies, a time before you didnt have morgtage off your possesions for tickets, a time when these groups were still at the forefront of music and WERE the leaders of their time. Now what do we have? Expensive tickets, tickets controlled by one company, or a sign outside the stadium or arena that says *suchandsuch product* presents the rolling stones. It must have been great being a rock music fan back in the late 60s and 70s.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-10-28 06:27 by Happy Jack.

Re: A bit of envy
Posted by: HelterSkelter ()
Date: October 28, 2007 07:22

It was Happy Jack, caught the tail end of it:

STONES '69 - LA FORUM
LED ZEPPELIN '72 - HOW THE WEST WAS WON (LA Forum/Long Beach) on CD now
THE WHO '73 - Quadrophenia show - LA Forum I think
BOB DYLAN/THE BAND '74 - BEFORE THE FLOOD (LA Forum) on CD forever
DAVID BOWIE - Ziggy Stardust Tour - SANTA MONICA CIVIC - what yr was that? 72? It's out on CD for years
GRAND FUNK RAILROAD/BLACK SABBATH - LA Forum, just when Paranoid hit big 70, 71?

But missed THE DOORS, JIMI, JANIS, CREAM, BLIND FAITH, CREEDENCE - can't have it all... Yeah, it WAS a great time - too bad we didn't know how great. Concerts suck now, that's why I quit after the 1999 NO SECURITY tour, what a show, strangely, a bit like 69 - pretty stripped down. Went out on top - 69 to 99, 30 years of hundreds of concerts (95% with earplugs so I still have my hearing)....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-10-28 07:23 by HelterSkelter.

Posted by: ROLLINGSTONE ()
Date: October 28, 2007 11:45

Don't have too many regrets Happy Jack. You still have a lot of years in front of you to enjoy.

"I'll be in my basement room with a needle and a spoon."

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: October 28, 2007 11:49

there were many great & beautiful things about being a fan in the 60s/70s, but
it's very worth bearing in mind that most fans didn't get to be at shows.
small venues that sell out in 30 seconds leave most fans out in the cold.

Date: October 28, 2007 12:59

I have to disagree with with sssoul here about her statement. It was MUCH EASIER to see a show in the early 70's because there was a lot less demand for tickets in those days - it was basically a kids and teenager thing. First of all a lot of kids couldn't go cause their parents said NO WAY and here's NO MONEY for the tickets - My Mom was super cool about that with us. #2, people that were just 10 to 15 years older than us did not care to see/hear our music but went to see ELVIS or that era bands/musicians (Bobby Vinton, etc., etc) or SINATRA or other music from that period. Now people going to Stones concerts are 5 to 75 years old and the hype is a 100 times stronger/louder..... Naw, it was a BREEZE back then, at least for Southern California fans around our age.... I think with sssoul's from London, maybe it was a harder time there...could be....

Date: October 28, 2007 13:08

nope, i'm not from London. the fact that you found yourself ultra-well-situated
doesn't mean your experience was the experience the majority of fans had. so ... treasure it

Date: October 28, 2007 17:37

Well, it all depends on your location I suppose - if you're out in the sticks, yeah, HARD TIME then/HARD TIME now (could have left your city name WS but why make it straight and simple). During our school days, if we went down to the Forum VERY EARLY (4 - 5 am) and got a high priority number/wrist band you were gonna get some EXCELLENT seats, period. Be it STONES/ZEP/WHO/BOWIE/STEWART/DYLAN/whoever. Thats the way it worked - if you had a harder time getting seats back then then maybe you were doing something wrong. Concerts were easier to attend just like times were easier than now, flying was easier, driving was easier, EVERYTHING was, it's a no brainer, 9 out of 10 people would agree I'm sure.....Ultra - well - situated? Ha, hardly, the celebrities in LA were, I/we were just clever, crafty, and did what I/we had to do.....it works, look into it (nothing was handed to me on a silver platter my dear and I really don't appreciate the factless assumption - Next time, best to KNOW of what you speak before you speak is my free and friendly advice).....

Re: the blue meds
Date: October 28, 2007 20:32

>> Naw, it was a BREEZE back then, at least for Southern California fans around our age <<

>> First of all a lot of kids couldn't go cause their parents said NO WAY and
here's NO MONEY for the tickets - My Mom was super cool about that <<

>> factless assumption <<

have it your way

Date: October 28, 2007 20:54

OH LOOK !! with sssoul has entered the building....Yeah, we weren't "KIDS", we were "TEENAGERS" - see ???. With sssoul, come on, you gotta stop with the flirting already.... I'm taken - LOL All the best Dearest....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-10-28 21:17 by HelterSkelter.

Posted by: Lukester ()
Date: October 28, 2007 20:57

Hey Happy Jack, I never replied to your question in a different thread about a Who show I saw November 28, 1975. I've been meaning to,but it's hard to describe, but here goes. I was 17 years old and went with 3 other buddies. I was tripping on acid. I saw laser lights for the first time. The warm up band was Toots and The Maytall. I'd never seen or heard reggae before and I loved it. Unfortunately the other people in the Greensboro Coliseum didn't like it. They booed Toots mercilessly.

I was just getting into The Who in the months leading up to the show. I bought my $7.00 ticket a couple of months in advance, and the anticipation built to an almost unbearable level. By the way, $7.00 for a concert was a lot of money back then. The music was incredibly loud. Some of the Tommy tunes, like "See Me, Feel Me" seemed to be a very allegorius, if that's a word. In other words, Daltrey seemd to pose as though he were nailed to a cross and with these laser lights shooting upward from behind him he seemd to appear very Christ like....or maybe it was just the acid. I remember it was a very spiritual mood on some songs. Townsend was wearing combat boots and an Exxon jump suit. Moon came out from behind the drums and interrupted Townsend during introductions for some funny banter. Entwistle sang "Boris the Spider" and the chorus that goes "creepy crawly, creepy crawly" was very, well, creepy.....did mention I was tripping?

The album "Who By Numbers" had just come out so they played "Squeeze Box" and "Slip Kid." I remember Daltrey played harmonica on that violin part from "Baba O'Riley"....I guess he still does to this day. We stayed at the same Holiday Inn where the band stayed that night but of course security was crazy.....there were lots of young women hoping to party with the band. We were too young to drink in the bar so we just went to our room and watched TV and giggled until the sun came up. In short, this was the best concert I've ever seen in my life....by any artist. I treasure the memory.

Date: October 28, 2007 21:07

That sounds awesome Lukester. I wish I couldve seen the who in the 70s. While Ive enjoyed them on their last couple of tours (they still rock) something tells me they dont compare to the 70s who. Live boots just dont capture the experience of a live concert.

Date: October 28, 2007 21:11

Yeah, but Lukester, is this really a fair judgement? Sounds like there's a chemical angle to this story and is that really a proper way to judge a show? (think it through lad - <as the "think" music from Jepordy plays> ) I saw that tour (WHO BY NUMBERS) too but I always wish I'd seen the TOMMY/WOODSTOCK period live. Love that ISLE OF WIGHT WHO LIVE DVD. Now that was some set list !!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-10-28 21:13 by HelterSkelter.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: October 28, 2007 21:29

cool story Lukester. I like hearing about your concert experiences from back in the day. What a different time.

Re: the meds
Date: October 28, 2007 21:43

>> OH LOOK !! The (Wanna be) Analytical Brainiac has entered the building....Yeah - CHECK THIS - we weren't "KIDS", we were "TEENAGERS" genius - don't just read from now on, you must also COMPREHEND - that's the name of the game <<

LoFL HS - is it some kind of intellectual feat for you to grasp that most fans in the late 60s/early 70s
couldn't line up outside a major concert venue at 4 or 5 AM for tickets on a regular basis
because they lived elsewhere? and then the tickets were gone. you were fortunate. appreciate it.
and take your meds. it's the blue ones you want.

Date: October 28, 2007 21:44

HelterSkelter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It was Happy Jack, caught the tail end of it:
>
> STONES '69 - LA FORUM
> LED ZEPPELIN '72 - HOW THE WEST WAS WON (LA
> Forum/Long Beach) on CD now
> THE WHO '73 - Quadrophenia show - LA Forum I
> think
> BOB DYLAN/THE BAND '74 - BEFORE THE FLOOD (LA
> Forum) on CD forever
> DAVID BOWIE - Ziggy Stardust Tour - SANTA MONICA
> CIVIC - what yr was that? 72? It's out on CD for
> years
> GRAND FUNK RAILROAD/BLACK SABBATH - LA Forum, just
> when Paranoid hit big 70, 71?
>
> But missed THE DOORS, JIMI, JANIS, CREAM, BLIND
> FAITH, CREEDENCE - can't have it all... Yeah, it
> WAS a great time - too bad we didn't know how
> great. Concerts suck now, that's why I quit after
> the 1999 NO SECURITY tour, what a show, strangely,
> a bit like 69 - pretty stripped down. Went out on
> top - 69 to 99, 30 years of hundreds of concerts
> (95% with earplugs so I still have my hearing)....

Helter, there is a boot available of the Who at the LA Forum in 73. If i had it, id offer it to you, but alas I dont. SO its one you might want to try and track down if interested.

Date: October 28, 2007 21:51

Yes, BLUE Valium, very good with sssoul... Now I like you - you know about the "blue" (and you DO have a good point about the line up - I agree with that).BTW, check out all the You Tube clips I put up, I think the Toronto club stuff is all unreleased - HEART OF STONE is on there as a secret bonus clip....

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: October 28, 2007 22:04

THanks for the story Lukester!
But are you sure this WHO concert didn't just take place on the TV....on that night...you know that 'before the sun came up' night ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-10-28 22:08 by Erik_Snow.

Date: October 28, 2007 22:24

Thanks for the info HAPPY JACK, I do have a reel to reel tape of the KING BISCUIT FLOWER HOUR radio broadcast when the Who did a lot of QUADROPHENIA (it's the one where DALTRY comes in late, or Pete early, on THE REAL ME and totally f*cks it up). The more time passes the more I like QUADROPHENIA for some reason, definitely as good as TOMMY IMHO.

I just wanted to add on that Zep CD. I wish Page would stop with his heavy duty editing cause there's at least 3 songs missing from those shows and PLENTY of room left on the CD's. I taped the Forum show but it turned out horrible cause I didn't clean the machine (a little Sony cassette recorder) and the tape speeds up and down through the whole show. Anyway, Page cut out TANGERINE from the acoustic part as well as a KILLER LOUIE LOUIE (yeah, the old Kingsmen version) as one of the 5 encores (also THANK YOU I believe is gone) and alot of oldies snipits during the WHOLE LOTTA LOVE prolonged thing. It was ALL GOOD, no need to take out anything...plus PLANT was the biggest in between song talker in the world and all that is ALWAYS cut out... leave it the way it happened JIMMY !!!

Date: October 28, 2007 22:52

it seems like back then the tours were shorter. Less Stops. Like they didnt go to Boise, Idaho.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2007-10-28 22:54 by ryanpow.

Date: October 28, 2007 22:52

-----

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-10-28 22:53 by ryanpow.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: October 28, 2007 23:01

I went to many shows from '72 onwards and had a great time.

Have to admit, though, that I really don't miss the
smoke-filled arenas, general admission seating and
stumbling over filthy drunk "fans" that are
passed out on the floor in a pool of their own vomit!
Aah, the good old days!

Guess I'm just getting old.

Date: October 28, 2007 23:05

Yeah, plus they played almost every night - the tours MOVED forward. No video's to make, things weren't as planned, hench the lack of good film coverage of now famous tours. Everything was much more simple BUT you can't turn the clock back so we get what we get (and 20 years from now THIS will be refered to as the simple days, when PARIS HILTON is US President - lol) ENJOY THE FUTURE !!!

Date: October 28, 2007 23:09

Aww Edith, it wasn't that bad. At least security back in the day wasn't over kill. Groups like THE DOORS had max room for improvising and great stuff like that...

Posted by: bombayturner ()
Date: October 28, 2007 23:57

well....

its easier to get credit now. U use it for ..... satisfaction

never post when u'r drunk

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: October 29, 2007 00:10

You're right Helter, it really wasn't that bad.

You reminded me of a place in New Orleans called The Warehouse.
Jim Morrison played his last gig with The Doors there.
The place was literally an old cotton warehouse on the river.
I've always heard that if you brought in a big enough
piece of carpet for several people to sit on,
they would let you in free.
Of course, you probably would not want your carpet back
after a few hours on the floor of that place!

Posted by: soundcheck ()
Date: October 29, 2007 04:42

... blue cheer

Posted by: Bingo ()
Date: October 29, 2007 05:11

Edith Grove Wrote:

> Have to admit, though, that I really don't miss
> the
> smoke-filled arenas, general admission seating

Amen, the minute you walked into any arena (MSG for me) you were greeted with a smoke filled arena, with the beautiful scent of weed.

I'm trying to remember my first show after the smoking ban went into effect...i felt like I just walked into a PTA meeting or something sterile.

I miss the smoke filled arenas!!!

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: October 29, 2007 05:58

Happy Jack Wrote:
> I was watching the MSG footage from Gimme Shelter
> and i got to thinking: Im envious of those of you
> who were able to see the Stones in the late
> 60's-70s. But not just the stones, but groups like
> the Who (when all members were still alive) or
> Pink Floyd. This must have been a great time for
> music, a time before everything from ticket sales
> to record companies were controlled by a handful
> of companies, a time before you didnt have
> morgtage off your possesions for tickets, a time
> when these groups were still at the forefront of
> music and WERE the leaders of their time. Now what
> do we have? Expensive tickets, tickets controlled
> by one company, or a sign outside the stadium or
> arena that says *suchandsuch product* presents the
> rolling stones. It must have been great being a
> rock music fan back in the late 60s and 70s.

I feel I must defend some of what Happy Jack is saying. It was a GREAT time for music unti approximately 1973. There was a time in the Sixties when most "kids" (sorry with sssoul) but it took years for me to refer to "the audience" instead of "kids," which I guess was the word I associated with concerts. My parents would ask "How many kids were there?" or I would say to whomever "The kids loved it." It was really because many of us weren't ready to leap into the thought of ourselves as true adults.

Many fanss and include music executives thought this mania for music would dissipate. Rock stars often wondered wondered "Will this last three or four years?" Records began to sell platinum or multiplatinum for more than just a few artists. Record companies were jubliant at the money that was pouring in. "Management" and "Marketing" and "Demographics" became words one heard with increasing frequency. Ticket prices seemed over night to double or triple. BUSINESS was king not necessarily music. Too many talent bands and artists got hurt in the process.

Executives started to make amazing salaries. Promooters multiplied. Etc. etc. etc.

Envy and jealousy are understandable in "Oh I wish I could have seen so and so" but realistically who wants to give up the lives they've led to go back in time permanently.

I feel very happy that I saw so many great artists emerge in those glory years but I also witnessed tragedies, disgusting dishonest, sleazzzzy people andand families plagued by worry and fear for their musician sons and daughters.

Re The Rolling Stones, ever my favorite band, I treasure the memories of their concerts that I saw in those glory years. However, I also believe that anyone of any age who has seen them at least once in the past five years is a very fortunate human being.

Posted by: vox12string ()
Date: October 29, 2007 06:30

I remember seeing the Kinks & 5-6 other bands @ the Guildford Odeon, cost me 5-6 shillings, in 1966, my first concert.

We had a youth club in my area which had sat night dances with local groups, this would have been 1965-6, it cost 1 shilling to get in. One night there was another band playing down the road but that cost 2 shillings & sixpence to get in, so I went to the youth club. Later on in the night some guys came back from the other gig, they said it was alright but there were only about 20 people there.

That other band was The Who, I really blew it for the sake of 1/6 & I still regret it some 40 years later...

Posted by: soundcheck ()
Date: October 29, 2007 08:41

.... pulse, they probably would of let ya in for freeee if there was just 20 'kids' there..

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1618
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home