Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Mick Falls of Billboard Top 200 Album Chart
Posted by: Pecman ()
Date: October 25, 2007 00:02

In just the 3rd week of release, The Very Best of Mick Jagger has fallen out of the Top 200 with sales this week of 3554 units with total units at 21,598.

PECMAN

Re: Mick Falls of Billboard Top 200 Album Chart
Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: October 25, 2007 00:10

21598 people shakin' to CHarmed Life...

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: October 25, 2007 02:57

Holy smokes man really? Holy freeking crap. I'm shocked that after bad sales the first two weeks it didn't vault up to the top of the album charts. Are you sure of this info Pecman? I was sure it would rebound into the top ten at least. OMG what a disappointment. What am I to do? I'm gonna go tie a heavy block around me leg like A.J. Soprano and find the nearest swimming pool so I can end it all. Nooo Oh nooooooooooooo it fell off the Billboard charts. Good grief!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2007-10-25 03:00 by FrankM.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: October 25, 2007 03:00

wow theres a fcuken surprise

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: October 25, 2007 03:08

Disastrous sales, it must be the worse seller ever for a Rhino compilation, even Ringo's best of sold better than this.

Mick is out of the Top 200 but Bruce is back to #1 again this week, in 3 weeks it sold 550,000 copies with a chart run of 1-2-1. It passed already the total of ABB in only 3 weeks, hats off for Bruce.

Date: October 25, 2007 03:13

well its not fair to compare mick to bruce, its better to compare the stones with bruce, and yes i know bruce kills the stones in sales also, but not as bad as he kills mick solo

Date: October 25, 2007 03:14

Lots of artists had recent albums that sold better than ABB George. Doesn't make them better.

Date: October 25, 2007 03:21

melillo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> well its not fair to compare mick to bruce, its
> better to compare the stones with bruce, and yes i
> know bruce kills the stones in sales also, but not
> as bad as he kills mick solo

Well he doesn't kill The Stones in sales as far as total sales go. Recently his E street band albums have sold more but his albums without the E Street band have sold about the same as recent Stones albums.

Worldwide I would guess than Bruce is way behind the total of The Stones.

Date: October 25, 2007 03:23

thanks frank, i didnt take into account bruce without the E street band, good point, i withdraw my kill theory

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: October 25, 2007 08:52

Is anyone suprised? Really, it beats the hell out of me as to why someone would want to own a 'best of' Mick Jagger!

Know where you bread is butterd. Stick with the Stones ;o)

Posted by: Shezeboss ()
Date: October 25, 2007 09:18

B.SPRINGSTEEN and MICK JAGGER are not comparable. Of course, Bruce sells more. But MICK is a musician. A writer, a poet not only in the form, but overall in the content (no clichés like Bono or Springsteen, good "hypocrit" conscious.)
"Goodess" is just exciting. "Goddess" (To my mind : A greatest hits single-handed on its own) is a forever recording.
To end, Have you really listen to a Springsteen recording ? It's the tipically fatty, greasy american rock'n'roll. Perhaps American People are happy with some rich "rappers" and some so called Rockers. There are so much great musicians never named here. Jagger or Elliott Murphy don't make me laugh. I love them.
the rest of the very best (so great ! )
1 throwaway
2 wandering spirit
3 angel in my heart
4 dancing in the starlight
5 jack the lad
6 kow tow
7 lucky day
8 primitive cool
9 1/2 a loaf
10 hard woman
11 too far gone
12 brand new set of rules
13 visions of paradise
14 let's make it up
15 blind leading the blind (acoustic)
16 party doll
17 blue

Posted by: sweet things ()
Date: October 25, 2007 09:39

Big Al Wrote:
> Is anyone suprised? Really, it beats the hell out
> of me as to why someone would want to own a 'best
> of' Mick Jagger!
>
> Know where you bread is butterd. Stick with the
> Stones ;o)

Because it's Mick Jagger, BEST reason I can think of

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: October 25, 2007 09:53

wow; you don't have to get all personal on bruce because mick's solo compilation hit the skids, like that was a big surprise...

that fat greasy american music is where blues, r&b, boogie, jazz, and every kind of rock amalgam comes from...no wonder keith and mick spend so much time here (to this day) since they could first get over here to record in 60's...

...to put bruce down as cliched and not as somehow refined as the uber poetic sir jagger is just provacative crap and completely ignores the symphonic delicacy in a lot of springsteen's writings and some of his productions...

there is no comparison; there is a stuck up predjudice that misses the soul of rock and roll in the comment above imo tho.
bruce is ten years younger, been recording for over ten years shorter than the stones...

and all that cliched chuck berry and little richard and elvis stuff...
all that cliched tired new orleans boogie woogie...
and that dylan with all those words and grunting; not exactly shakespeare, (he's in the alley), eh?
oh dang, it should have gone all skiffle, eh? or perhaps progressive skiffle?
cause we were already rockin' at the peppermint louge baby and you were still trying to find your ass, and apparently still are.
there's a darkness on the edge of town...
dino danelli lives
what a day for a day dream
born down in a dead man's town
feel just like a dog that's been beat too much
is that you baby or just a brilliant disguise
mr. state trooper please don't stop me...
well meet me baby on 45th street...
doo wop wop wop bom hatie hatie hatie hip hip yeaaahhhh
you should see johnny thunders (according to ray davies, who really knows)
the best of the brits: stones, who (ireland's van morrison) beatles, kinks, zep, faces, mott, animals...
all adored that fat greasy boogie; the who covered james brown twice on their first album...guess that wasn't refined or poetic enough either...

listen man, there were two or three good cuts on that compilation and a lot of middling stuff; and some trash...period.
evenging gown is brilliant. beyond pristine...
memo from turner is brilliant.
don't tear me up is a great rocker done perfectly...

if it hit i wouldn't have been unhappy.
they should have promoted 'evening gown' live vid like CRAZY on country music tv stations; it would have went crossover like crazy...if banned jovi could pull that off, mick could have...
they should have promoted MEMO like crazy with the vid from the film on MTV...that cut is an important cultural masterpieve imo.
it wasn't promoted very much by mick, a few tv interviews...the pr peeps leaned more toward the unreleased stuff which was not very special, and the 'superstar' stuff, which is not very interesting for the most part imo.

it sunk as expected and it dosen't make me happy. some of springsteen's stuff is boring to me...some of it is really transcedent and amazing...i've seen him live; cried openly and danced like crazy to a rhythm review that would have made mitch ryder jealous...man, get offa my cloud.

cuz i admire springsteen's reaching out with nebraska on a four track cassette machine and coming up with those amazing songs...i admire darkness and born to run and the river; and that he'd reach out with stuff like the ghost of tom joad and all...have you seen some of his live filmed concerts? two hearts are better than one will blow you right away...

i'm not a big uber fan of everything he does but that was an uncalled for slam and an unfair comparison to both artists in question. bruce, like everyone in his generation, learned a lot from the stones, and admire them no end...and mick could learn a thing or two from other writer's continuing approach to trying to connect with themselves in a relevant way thru their art.

keith's working and recording with merle haggard...now THAT'S a record i'll buy.

boy i remember getting that jeff beck album with ron on bass and rod singing jailhouse rock...whoa...yeah that's the kind of fat greasy crap us dumb americans really like...we're suckers for that kind of stuff...please forgive us; i forgave you for wham. sorta.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2007-10-25 10:15 by Beelyboy.

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: October 25, 2007 11:26

The charts haven´t anything to do with good music. If you look at the Billboard list from any era you find that it´s mostly crap that sells the most. That´s just the way it is. I listened the other day to the top 40 most sold or downloaded songs in Sweden at the moment. There wasn´t a single guitar or real drums on any of the "songs", well, maybe one or two. Eurodisco, europop, whatever you call it, it rules.

Posted by: nanker phelge ()
Date: October 25, 2007 12:27

Erik_Snow Wrote:
> 21598 people shakin' to CHarmed Life...

And fingers poised on the play button for the Lets Work video!!

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: October 25, 2007 16:16

This isn't like Mick released a new solo album which would be expected to sell 300,000 copies in the US. Its a compilation from a reissue label and while it may not be Rhino's biggest release ever, I'm sure it has outsold much of the label's catalog. Many Rhino releases never even chart. As it stands 21,000 copies is better than the ALFIE soundtrack and comparable to RARITIES. Unlike the Ringo best of, all of Mick's solo releases are still available and the few odds and ends that were included (while welcome in my collection) were hardly enough to make this a must-have for most music buyers.

Posted by: Jack Knife ()
Date: October 25, 2007 21:26

LOVE "Charmed Life"...listen to it over and over in the car.

Bruce's album is absolutely magnificent...the first album I've bought of his in many a long year. It's up there with his best work. The "hidden" track at the end choked me up so badly when I first heard it...I thought of my brothers. I was in my car. People must have thought someone had just died! And "Radio Nowhere" is up there with his best songs ever. And I'm no Springsteen fanatic (though I saw seen him 8 or so times in concert from 1978-the 'Tunnel of Love' tour).

The Rolling Stones could still do something as great but they really don't seem care to (and they never will without Rick Rubin to kick their asses). Bruce (and Dylan) do.

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: October 25, 2007 21:41

I am sorry for Mick, but I am not suprised about that, I like his solo work, but people who like his albums have nearly all the songs of this compilation. He ought to record a new album!

Posted by: mofur ()
Date: October 25, 2007 22:56

Beelyboy Wrote:
> keith's working and recording with merle
> haggard...now THAT'S a record i'll buy.
>
Ya serious now - not putting me on or anything? Yup - buy that album as soon as it hits the shop - or more likely - as I live in Denmark - one of the internet shops......

The last few Merle album have been defying logic as much as the Stones - he is just getting better and better - after they finally dragged him out of recording-retirement. I like his whole attitude....he is one of the real GREATS!!!

Posted by: john r ()
Date: October 26, 2007 00:45

The Stones were also superstars long before Bruce, who really took off with "Born To Run" in late '75. His sales are not always great, i.e. "Tom Joad" peaked at # 11 and was on the Top 200 only 14 weeks, tho he's certainly one of the biggest contporary artists in these parts.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: October 26, 2007 01:14

georgelicks Wrote:
> Disastrous sales, it must be the worse seller ever
> for a Rhino compilation, even Ringo's best of sold
> better than this.

Beatles completists outnumber Stones completists. Besides, Mick's never had a solo hit as catchy as It Don't Come Easy.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: October 26, 2007 02:20

Oh man, who cares about a little solo CD? Jagger's still the greatest performer in the history of rock and roll. Ain't he?

Consistency counts for a lot with me, so don't go throwing in "What about Elvis?...Bruce?...Little Richard?...Bono..."

Date: October 26, 2007 02:43

john r Wrote:
> The Stones were also superstars long before Bruce,
> who really took off with "Born To Run" in late
> '75. His sales are not always great, i.e. "Tom
> Joad" peaked at # 11 and was on the Top 200 only
> 14 weeks

true but that was still far far better than micks effort

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2354
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home